Vegans Cafe and Restaurant

Contact 075-6433922

612-0029 Kyoto-shi Fushimi-ku Fukakusa Nishi Uramachi 4-chome 88, Kyoto, Japan, 61 A

An all-vegan restaurant offering food like pizza, soy BBQ rice bowl, spaghetti with soy meat sauce, sweets, organic coffee and more. Has an English menu. Last order taken at 4:30 pm. Note that open hours are at times irregular (depending on the owner). Located near Fushimi Shrine at 612-0029 京都市伏見区深草西浦町4丁目88. A natural organic store operates on the second floor. New owner since March 2016. Open Mon-Tue 11:30am-5:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:30am-5:00pm, Sat 11:30am-9:00pm, Sun 11:30am-5:00pm. Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Japanese, Organic, Western

First Review by lemurcat

Excellent Vegan East/West Fusion - Edit

Vegans Cafe was at the top of our list of vegan places to visit from their review on japanvegan.blogspot.com. And the real thing did not disappoint.

Located in southern Kyoto, Vegans Cafe is the center for the Kyoto animal rights movement, which means they do more than just cook amazing food, they are actively encouraging a meat and animal product free life style. The restaurant contains flyers about eating vegan and against wearing fur, which is sadly something the Japanese still consider fashionable. (We saw several women wearing what could only be real fox pelts around their necks while walking around Tokyo and Kyoto)

The food is a well done mixture of Japanese and European styles, including rice dishes, casseroles, pizzas, and curries. They also serve vegan desserts including a cashew cream cheesecake and soy ice cream. The staff speak English and their menu is available in English as well. Inside you will also find several vegan goods purchasable from within the restaurant. Seating includes traditional Japanese low tables and mats as well as Western style tables and chairs. Our food came in a reasonable time and was delicious.

I would highly recommend making this restaurant a stop for anyone in Kyoto who is vegan and/or cares about animal rights. If you are a local you might even consider joining them in their campaign to reduce animal cruelty in Japan.

Pros: Great Food, English Menu and English Speaking Staff, Restaurant also active in Animal Rights community

Cons: None. Go eat there!

perfect! - Edit

all the 5 stars views were true. we went there on purpose and it was totaly worth it. we had pizza, grilled tofu with rice and the cake of the day. after all, i wished i was hungrier just to order more things but we were full. good price too and very kind staff. i would recomend it to everyone even, or in special, to non vegans

Pros: all vegan. nice place. delicious

Cons: none

Want to visit again - Edit

I went to this reataurant for dinner on Saturday evening, because they open late only on Saturday.
I really loved their menu serving Donburi(Rice bowl), Ramen(noodle), Pizza and so on, which are all vegan.
I had an Atsuage Don. Very good to have charcoal-grilled tofu with tasty source. I was full with just the medium size of Atsuage and I could not eat any other dishes.
I really wanted to try other things. Next time, I will go again with a hungry stomach. Service is a bit slow, but acceptable.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Reasonable

Cons: Bit far from the center area

takeaway pizza! - Edit

We had soymeat pita pocket and fried tofu with rice, with the salad/miso set.

The soymeat pita and fried tofu both had this incredible sauce on it which was like the lovechild of tonkatsu and a good tangy smoky bbq sauce.

Also had a black sesame and banana milkshake type thing which was so so delicious.

Salad includes okara which is very yummy.

I loved the fried tofu in my bowl so much that I got a fried tofu takeaway pizza for later which was very good and a decent size.

Whole order including pizza cost just shy of 5000en which is fair value if you consider that it was about 3.5 meals.

Will definitely be back!

Must visit after Fushimi Inari Taisha! - Edit

This is my insider's tip in Kyoto. I had a delicious casserole there, followed by one of the best pieces of cake I ever had in a restaurant.

It's also a decent place to stock up in some (guaranteed vegan) foods, since there is a little shop as well.

The waiter's English might not be the best, but they put in a lot of effort.

Comfort food for vegans - Edit

It's comfort food in generous portions! We came for lunch and ordered the seasonal veg & natto salad and the kheema masala gratin with soy cheese. Other lunch diners ordered a pizza, which looked definitely big enough to share.

This is a friendly, casual restaurant ( no reservations needed though some food bloggers have said they were) with some organic produce , raw chocolate and other food products for sale.

It was fairly easy to find in Fushimi, midway between the Fukakura & Fujinomori stations on the Kyoto Keihan subway line, 2 blocks south of the Hotel Urban Kyoto. The Fushiminishiura Post Office is just down the street, and landmarks on the cross street include "Liquor Mountain" , a large liquor outlet, and an AU store. The restaurant website has a good map.

Prices are reasonable and there is an English menu & English speaking wait staff.

Pros: All vegan , Generous portions , Reasonable prices

Absolutely delicious! - Edit

The food we e joyed at Vegans cafe was some of the best we have had, ever. The caferestaurant is situated a little out of the Kyoto city centre, however it is well worth the trip to get there. After not having lunch, we were ravenous, so ordered a smoked tofu bowl, a creamy rice casserole, a margarita pizza, and a smoked tofu pizza. All were deliciois, but for us the stand out dish was r
The tofu. To top it all off we ordered a slice of the green tea & red bean cake, which was served with complementary vanilla ice cream. A must go to restaurant for any vegan or food enthusiast alike!

Pros: Delicious food, Good service, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: A bit far away from Kyoto city centre

favorite meal in Kyoto - Edit

this is hands down the best restaurant I ate at in my trip to Japan this month. I got the ramen with the vegetables, and then my friends and I split the curry pizza. Both were amazing. I'm still thinking about that ramen haha. It's a joy out of the way but if you're visiting the fushimi inari shrine then it's pretty close by. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Kyoto.

Good - Edit

Went there for lunch, we liked the brown rice casserole but we found the pizza a little 'poor' for the price. Staff a bit too cold even for Japanese standard.

Pros: Brown rice casserole

Cons: Pizza, staff completely disinterested on work

The Best Meal of My Life - Edit

There's really not a lot much else to say. This is by far the best meal that I have ever had the pleasure and honor to be served and take into my body in my entire life. HIGHLY recommend everything on the menu, but especially the biggest parfait they have and the curry pizza.

Pros: All Vegan, All Insanely Delicious, Very close to Inari Shrine

Cons: Again, I do not live in Kyoto.

Genuine Vibes, Yummy Vegan Food - Edit

I'd been meaning to make it to Vegan's for MONTHS - and finally did today. My friend and I shared a large salad and the barbecued tofu pizza, then a cheese cake and chocolate cake. I felt the salad was perhaps a bit small for a "large", but their okara mashed potatoes on the side with it were incredible. I was pleased with the pizza because it wasn't overwhelmingly cheesy/gooey, the dough was good, and the barbecue flavour was really nice.
Although not the best I've EVER had, both of the cakes were good, with nice presentation.
The atmosphere was really pleasant and there were a lot of Japanese customers circulating throughout the 3 hours we were there. The staff were quiet but friendly. I was super impressed that they were really attentive to our water glasses and I never had to ask for more - a problem I have all the time.
I also know directly that the owners of the business are really committed to sharing organic vegan food, and that this place really tries hard to be of service to its customers. I'll be back :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-23

Pros: Yummy food! , Nice atmosphere, Reasonable price

Cons: Slightly far from the city

Best vegan food in Japan so far! - Edit

This place is amazing!! I could not recommend it more highly as the food was so delicious and the food so tasty. The staff were so lovely and accommodating and kept the restaurant open for almost one hour after closing time for us. We will be going back for sure before we leave Kyoto! The food portions are enormous so being loose pants!!

Delicious food and drinks! - Edit

I had heard about this place from friends--many of whom told me it was the best veggie place in Kansai--and so when I finally made the trip out to Kyoto my expectations were quite high.
But this restaurant met all of them--and then some.
We had a "cheesy" pizza with some grilled rice cakes thrown in for good measure, and it was honestly one of the best pizzas I've had in a long time.
The creamy risotto we ordered was also top-notch. And the organic beer was a nice touch to the meal.
I strongly recommend it for vegans/veges who are in Kansai.

Pros: Delicious pizzas, creamy food, good beer

Cons: a tad pricey

great choices, moderate, delicious vegan/org food - Edit

A great place for vegans. The restaurant was exceptionally open till 9 pm coz there were participants of a vegan parade dining as well. Link to the youtube clip ( in Japanese) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSOo3IyJT-s
We were a party of three and shared a keema- curry style brown rice casserole with white sauce, roast soy meat bowl , roast soy meat pizza ( choice between crispy-type or bread-dough type ) and soy miso ramen. All ingredients used are 100 percent organic and the owner is famous yakku-nikku chef that turned vegan.

Pros: delicious, moderate, organic

Nice vegan food in Kyoto - Edit

We had a nice, relaxed meal at Vegans Cafe and Restaurant on a recent trip to Kyoto. The food we had was really nice.
The staff did not speak much English but who cares with a fully vegan picture menu with Engrish wording :).
When we were there for a late afternoon lunch the staff were fully engrossed in prepping a huge load of garlic so service wasn't the fastest. But we didn't mind as the food was really flavourful and we were happy to relax and unwind.
The cafe has quite a homey / rustic feel. It was a little hard to find from memory (we did not have a data card so we had to try and memorise the location from our hotel - this made it quite an adventure. Next time we will rent a data card or a portable wifi to make things easier)
Definitely go there if you find yourself in Kyoto, which is apparently the vegan capital of Japan.
ps the green tea ice-cream sounded wierd but it was really nice.

Pros: Great food, Relaxed vibe

Amazing Ramen! - Edit

I have visited quite some vegan restaurants/cafes in Japan. The ramen in the restaurant was the most impressive to me. However I only tried their ramen last time. I am looking forward to trying other dishes in my coming trip this summer. :)

Good restaurant - Edit

I would recommend this place if you visit Fusimi-Inari shrine. It is about 15 mins walk from JR Inari station.
Was crowded when we went for lunch, but the service was good and they accommodated us. Good service. Food was also good. Wouldn't say delicious but then, depends on individual tastes. Serves western foods and Japanese curries. Tried the roast tofu option which was recommended in the menu. Was good but since I prefer the Japanese washoku (set meal), I was disappointed. Price was moderate.

Pros: Location, Quality food, Good service

Cons: No japanese set meals, Moderately expensive.

Dear Lord Almighty the pizzas. - Edit

I've lived in New York, sampling the greasiest slices, the finest cashew cheese imitations, and the best Vera Pizza Napolitana-certified pies money can buy. I've spent a week in Italy on a roadtrip essentially dedicated to stuffing my face with truffles and pizza.

And after visiting Kyoto, I am convinced, absolutely certain -- ain't nobody got NOTHING on the pies this place puts out. If we hadn't discovered it on our last day in Kyoto, we would have eaten here daily. The amazing shojin ryori meal at Eko-in in Koya San is tied with this place for the best meal during three weeks in Japan. This place didn't cost several hundred dollars.

tl;dr Japan took our denim and perfected it. Now pizzas.

Full disclosure: This review may have been biased by the kind-hearted loan of an umbrella by the restaurant's proprietors. I knew Japan had a murky umbrella swapping underworld but was not expecting the owners to run to their house to get one when they saw we were leaving in the rain. We cancelled plans coming down off Koya San to return the umbrella and feast here again before catching the shinkansen to Tokyo. But don't let that possible source of bias make you second guess this review. The pizza is that good. The umbrella was just icing on the cake. Speaking of which, the desserts are great, but they don't hold a candle to the pizza. Goddamn.
Two years later we still talk about it.

Pros: The Pizza, The mushroom one, sweet merciful crap the pizza

Cons: will ruin you for other pizzas

Mixing feeling - Edit

We have been there twice. Easy access - 5 min walk from Fukakusa station. Food was very good, however each time we have been disappointed with service. Waiter forgot to bring a part of order (example - order set and got only salad - no rice). Very kind staff but with poor English. Because of lack of language Japanese client' get more attention than we did - a little bit pity...

Pros: price, good food

Cons: English

AWESOME !!! - Edit

Wow. Well worth a trip to the south side, even if we did ride there in the rain! I had a ramen dish which was out of this world. Curry pizza was a bit weird but good and the "soy meat" was delicious too. Got some chocolate muffins for breakfast tomorrow :) Would go again.

Pros: lovely staff, delicious food

Cons: south side , pizza not cheap

LOVE IT - Edit

Very good and consciously sourced organic food prepared with love. Peaceful and family friendly atmosphere. Support local organic farmers. Amazing ramen and great lunch plates. Good desserts, pita sandwiches, organic soda. Mmmmm, can't get enough. Highly recommended.

Pros: all vegan, organic, kindness

You'd be a flaming idiot not to go. - Edit

I ate a whole large pizza, a whole large sundae, and got another large pizza to take away which I ate the entirety of that night.
The pizzas are amazing.
The sundae has fricken mini muffins on it! Goddamn.

So good.

Gorgeous pizza - Edit

My travel partner and I shared 2 gorgeous, huge pizzas and an ice-cream here. It was open during the hours listed and wasn't that hard to find. Japanese vegan cafes tend to be tucked away ad integrated into neighbourhoods and this place is no exception. Inari village, where it is located has free city wifi in certain areas and is helpful is you need to to map it from the station. Thoroughly recommend this cafe as part of a trip to the Inari shrine.

Closed! - Edit

It was a very funny experience - I met an Australian couple who were stood outside waiting for it to open. We spoke for about 10 minutes - laughing at the misery of trying to fight malnutrition in Japan before parting.

To the Australian couple - if you are reading, I also went to another place in Kyoto, again was closed. After 12 hours of wandering - I found a vegan cafe.

The owners were friendly and menu has plenty of variety. We stayed in Kyoto for only a few days and went twice, don't miss out on the soyft serve and the creamy vegan pizza was probably the best pizza I've ever had!

Pros: amazing food, friendly environment

Cons: longer waiting times for food

Yum - Edit

My vegan husband and I live in Kyoto and are always scoping out vegan friendly locations. The quality of the food here is excellent. Yummy, protein-based, all organic, outstanding. The owners used to run a full-on meaty barbecue styled restaurant before going vegan. This might explain why the soy meat donburi they made was so scrumptious! We found the price a bit steep but organic produce is expensive in Japan. They make everything from scratch, even the soy meat. The pizza was saucy and the dough crispy. There is a small organic store upstairs if you want to buy their sauces or products to take home. It is about a 10 minute walk from the famous Fushimi Inari Shrine. They have one parking space, but there is cheap all-day parking around the corner, making it a convenient place to start or end your day of sightseeing.

Pros: taste, protein, location

Karma-free, cruelty-free soy meat BBQ rice bowl!! - Edit

Located near famous "Memoir of Geisha" shrine, if you are staying at Kyoto, it's wise to take a cab (approx 1500 yen from JR Kyoto station) This restaurant used to be a very busy Japanese style Yakiniku BBQ beef restaurant, the business went so good so the owner decided to construct his house and maybe a puppy for his new house, then he was googling for a pet and found some articles on farm-animals cruelty that struck his mind.... Then against his family's worries, the owner had decided to change completely from BEEF restaurant to VEGAN restaurant. Amazing story!! So his former experience of real meat to soy meat shift, the BBQ teriyaki bowl blows your mind! I'd say 5 stars on Vegchelin!!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Best tasting vegan food in Kyoto - Edit

This restaurant is a family run business and is about one block away from the main street on a corner. We caught a taxi here the first time to make sure we could locate it, as we've had experiences in Japan when we just could not find an address!
The staff are very friendly and speak a little English. Everything is vegan. The pizzas were absolute amazing! White cheese sauce, Boston style! They serve mock meats, curries, salads, wraps and desserts. They even have a section which is like a mini-market to buy supplies for cooking at home.
A very short walk from Fujinomori train station. Please enjoy Vegans!

Pros: Amaing food, Friendly staff, Good value

Vegans' Cafe And Restaraunt - Edit

Well worth the trip. Like other reviewers my vegan wife and I found it difficult to eat in Japan and so though it was worth going a little out of our way on our penultimate night in Tokyo. After reading other reviews we asked our hotel to call ahaed to make sure they were open (it was a friday night) and we werw told the kitchen would be open until 8.30pm. We took a taxi (the concierge printed a map and briefed the taxi driver) that cost around 1500 yen from the Hyatt. Don't be put off by the odd review that questions the safety of the area. It felt very safe to us. The place was empty when we got there and we were therefore a little worried but the food was excellent. We had the margherita pizza and . Both were delicious. Someone came in after us when the kitchen was supposed to be closed but they still served them. I asked the restaurant to call us a taxi to take us back to the hotel which they were happy to do. The service was great even though communication was a little difficult. The meal with organic beers cane to 4200 yen. I would really recommend this restaurant to any vegans visting tokyo.

Pros: Good Food, Good Service , Nice People

Cons: Location For Some

Great pizza - Edit

This is a lovely friendly place that serves up great vegan pizza. The staff was patient with our limited Japanese and went through the menu with us, letting us know that a good portion of the items were not currently available.
We ordered a few varieties of pizza and it was all very good. The soy cheese on the white pizza was delicious. Some of the topping were a little unusual (such as potato and corn) which we really enjoyed. We ordered what we thought was too much food, but between the great taste and the fact that there was a teenage boy with us, we managed to eat all of it.
The place is really out of the way. We were able to find it using GPS, walking from the station.

Pros: Great pizza, Friendly service, Comfortable restaurant

Cons: Far out location

Terrific pizza - Edit

There are so many reasons not to like this place.

#1 The posted hours are only rough estimations. This was my fourth attempt to visit, and I only kept trying because it is one of only two vegetarian restaurants on my train ride home. Call ahead of time to see if they are open.

#2 The location is inconvenient, unless you are visiting Fushimi Inari Daisha, a student of Ryukoku University, or like me and it is along your commute. It is along a back street and looks nothing like a cafe from the outside.

#3 It promotes pseudoscience by proudly displaying in English and Japanese everything is biochemical-free (organic), which anyone who knows me understands, this is a major pet peeve.

I really want to dissuade anyone from going to this establishment... but I can't.

They had hands-down the best pizza I have ever had in Japan. Typically, 2000円 at an Italian cafe in Japan gets you a tasteless oval-shaped cracker with ketchup-like sauce and cheese sprinkled sparingly. The crust on Vegan Cafe's soy pizza was superbly delicious, with chunks of tasty veggies. At 1500円, it was big enough to satisfy two hungry eaters.

Pros: food

Cons: Hours, Location, promotes pseudoscience

So delicious! - Edit

This restaurant is just brilliant. As well as serving delicious vegan fayre, they also sell ingredients and other things in case you want to try your hand at making your own. You can buy quite a few things that aren`t readily available in most stores in Japan, and they also have a lot of really great literature (in Japanese of course, but useful if anyone ever asks you why you`re vegan!) The staff are very friendly, and the service is really nice - a great atmosphere. We have been twice now, and have tried the margharita pizza (so nice to have vegan pizza in Japan!, the salad (such a great mix within the salad, and the dressing is especially amazing!) and the soy meat rice bowl - divine. Ok and now I`m hungry! Can`t wait to go back here.

Pros: Different size portions available, Good price - delicious food, Vegan literature available

hours - Edit

Lunch 11:30 to 15:00 and diner 17:30 to 21:30. As of October 2013. Great vegan restaurant, soft serve ice cream, friendly staff, delicious food.

Pros: soft serve ice cream, delicious

Delicious Gourmet Vegan - Edit

This place had the most delicious food. As a previous reviewer stated, the pizza is amazingly delicious! I'm not very big on pizza either - but it left me craving more.

The cafe is in a far-out neighborhood, but is well worth the journey to get there. Ask station staff at any train station how to get to Fujinomori station. Exit the station and walk west under the overpass a short distance to the main road. Make a right (north) and walk two-and-a-half fairly long blocks. Make a left and walk one block. The restaurant is on your right - across the street on the corner - and has an unassuming facade.

The cafe has a kind of 70s Berkeley feel to it - nice and healthy / enlightened. The food is excellent. The menus are Japanese with some English translation. I recommend the pizza - seriously!
Updated from previous review on Monday August 26, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday August 26, 2013

Pros: DELICIOUS food!!, Wonderful health-food ambience, Seriously Delicious gourmet food

Cons: Far out but simple enough to find.

Best Vegan Restaurant in Kyoto? - Edit

I didn't make it to all the vegan restaurants in Kyoto (who could?) so perhaps my title is presumptuous, but really the name says it all: this restaurant is run by a family who are passionate about promoting veganism, and this really shows up in the food they serve. They previously ran a successful Yakiniku (fried meat) restaurant, and gave up the business in favour of this vegan restaurant after learning about animal cruelty online. The menu has expanded a lot from what's describe above (HC notified) and now includes delicious pizzas and a range of international/fusion dishes, that are cooked to perfection. The setting is simple (almost looks like a converted garage) and as people have pointed out in previous reviews, it's a bit of a hike from the nearest station, but don't let that put you off: the food is absolutely amazing! The pizza was the best I've had in Japan, and the desserts (from the ice-cream machine) a little decadent but so satisfying and delicious, especially after a long hot day of temple-hopping. The owner (I think) was friendly and helpful, and prices were very reasonable for such great food. This is a must-visit while in Kyoto!

Pros: all vegan, great food!, friendly staff

Cons: a bit of a walk (but well worth it)

Amazing - Edit

Everything was absolutely delicious, I actually forgot to take pictures of some of the plates so good it was

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 18, 2013

Pros: Nice menu and staff , Good prices, Very nice looking dish

Cons: A little far from the city center

They fed me for free, while it was closed! - Edit

I went to Vegans Cafe and Restaurant around 4:30pm on a Wednesday. It was not difficult to find. It turns out that, like many places, they close between lunch and dinner. The front was open, so I walked in. There was only a young boy, who couldn't speak any English. He disappeared and came back with a cold pizza, and disappeared again. He gave me a printed note saying they were not open until later, but that there was a pizza, and if it was good, to eat it. I did, and the boy refused to accept any money.

I had walked about 15km that day, and was very hungry. I was really surprised that they helped me even though they were closed, and that they wouldn't accept any money!

The menu looked quite good, and the prices were reasonable. If you are visiting the Fushimi Inari Shrine, please give this restaurant your patronage!

Pros: They fed me even though they were closed, They would not accept money!

Cons: I wish they were open all afternoon!

Awesome vegan selection - Edit

I went at around 3:00pm on a Saturday. It's about a 15-20 minute walk south from Fushimi Inari. An excellent experience! It was easy to find, right on the corner and with an English sign out front. Very spacious interior. There is quite a lot of variety offered, and it's all vegan (with an English menu that makes this clear). I had a very delicious and huge bowl of vegan ramen. They also offered pizza, casserole, salad, pitas, curry/rice bowls, pasta, shakes, cake, muffins, tea, juice, and coffee. I spent a while talking to the staff and they were super friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: All vegan, Delicious, Great variety

Cons: A bit far away from most things.

Closed when it was supposed to be open - Edit

I can't fairly rate this restaurant because we couldn't get there. I called a cab and the driver (who was an angel) did everything he could do find the place. The driver spoke to a restaurant proprietor closeby, he was told that the restaurant had closed for the day. It was only 8pm on a Monday! I had specifically picked this place from Happy Cow because of the late closing time. :(

I can't fairly rate the restaurant, but I was so disappointed. Be warned: call ahead!

Cons: Closed early sometimes?

Great meal! - Edit

You will have to go off the beaten path into a funky southeast Kyoto neighborhood to find this place - and then you will find that everyone's positive reviews are dead-on accurate. It's a lovely little storefront on the corner, all the food is completely vegan and delicious. They have a nice selection of pro-vegan literature and an english menu. We had a rice casserole and salads. Everything was fresh, lovingly prepared, and restorative. Well priced, too. Try the coffee, it's extraordinary.

Pros: Completely vegan, Fresh

Great side Trip from Fushimi Inari - Edit

We went to Fushimi Inari and had a pleasant morning wandering the mountain and then strolled to this gorgeous little place. We ordered the curry and the cold ramen. The meals were the most beautifully presented works of art I've seen and they tasted great. I also had an iced strawberry drink which was lovely. The staff are super-friendly and helpful and gave me a free vegan cookbook when I left.

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Great food, Friendly

Amazing! Highly recommended! - Edit

We had the most incredible experience at this restaurant :D After about half an hour of searching, we find it and they've closed the kitchen. But, they were so lovely that they made us two pizzas (the best vegan pizza I've ever had- my sister is a vegetarian and she said it was better than cheesy pizza). We also bought some muffins that were really yummy and healthy tasting :3 I had an amazing conversation with one of the staff members, the place has a great atmosphere and the staff are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Definitely going back before our time in Kyoto is over :) If you're into vegan food then this place is a must see for anyone visiting Kyoto.

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap, Great staff

Wahoo! Amazing Vegan Food! - Edit

Yes! AMAZING!
Why aren't there like, 1897289701 reviews about this place? So good. So so good.

I will admit that being vegan in Japan was challenging at times, and there is only so much 7-11 inari a girl can eat. And then there was Vegans Cafe, like a shining star, a beacon of hope, the awe of awesome.

We showed up a little after 2pm, and while it appears they sometimes close midday for a few hours, they smiled and waved us in. Sure, there was a bit of a language gap, but most of the menu was translated into English -- and everything is vegan. There were four of us eating and we each loved our meals. And shared our meals. And licked our plates. I ordered the ramen, which came in the biggest bowl ever, and it was absolutely delicious. Also ordered at the table was a curry dish (yeah!) and probably my personal favorite: the vegan pizza. WOW! As four Americans living in California with ample vegan pizza options at our front door, the last thing I expected was to be raving about the pizza from Japan. In super broken English, we discovered that they make their own cheese using mochi. Whatever, however, eat this.

Also for dessert was a delicious sundae involving soy ice cream and a vegan muffin. Don't ask; just order.

The space was bright and clean, and the bathroom was super cool (river rocks!). We combined this visit with a trip to the Inari Shrine.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, completely vegan

Delicious - Edit

I went to a party there, they gave us a ton of food and it was all great. Especially the vegan PIZZA and vegan soft-serve vanilla ice cream (with berries). There was also lasagna. It was just excellent. Nice space too. The Fujinomori train station area was a bit confusing though.

Pros: PIZZA, ICE CREAM, LASAGNA

Cons: not such a nice neighborhood, nearest station has a confusing exit

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegans Cafe and Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11207 times since Nov 2011.