Vegans Cafe and Restaurant

075-6433922

612-0029 Kyoto-shi Fushimi-ku Fukakusa Nishi Uramachi 4-chome 88, Kyoto, Japan, 61 A

An all-vegan restaurant offering food like pizza, soy BBQ rice bowl, spaghetti with soy meat sauce, sweets, organic coffee and more. Has an English menu. Last order taken at 4:30 pm. Note that open hours are at times irregular (depending on the owner). Located near Fushimi Shrine at 612-0029 京都市伏見区深草西浦町4丁目88. A natural organic store operates on the second floor. New owner since March 2016. Open Mon-Tue 11:30am-5:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:30am-5:00pm, Sat 11:30am-9:00pm, Sun 11:30am-5:00pm. Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Japanese, Organic, Western

First Review by lemurcat

A++++++++++++++++ - Edit

If you are in Kyoto and you don't go here, you are making a huge mistake. We had ramen and BBQ tofu and it was so amazing, we have probably ruined ourselves for having those dishes ever again - nothing will ever compare. The staff was amazingly friendly, the restaurant was very cute, and THE FOOD!!! OH MY GOD, THE FOOOOOOOOOOOOD

EDIT: We got excited and wrote this review before eating dessert. THE SOFT SERVE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! BOOK YOUR FLIGHT NOW

Pros: Everything

Cons: I don't live in this restaurant

AMAZING!! - Edit

me and my sister came here after visiting the Shrine. BEST FOOD EVER! we had the ramen, deep fried tofu and a pizza and it was all incredible. such good flavours and portions sizes. food was fresh and packed full of flavor. well worth the walk, took us about 15 minutes walk from the shrine and absolutely worth it. cannot recommend enough!

Pros: amazing food, lovely inside, nice staff

pizza和拉麵可去五辛 - Edit

非常特別的一間素食餐廳,在伏見稻禾大社附近,走路算滿近的,有pizza和拉麵可以去五辛,座位不多,來用餐到吃完離開都是維持在滿座的狀態

Good Place and good Ramen - Edit

My friend wanted to eat Vegan Ramen then we come here.
It was perfect! Very tasty and good portion and my friends was very happy! I will go back!

Pros: Good Ramen!

Cons: Not very beautiful interior

great food great menu - Edit

great japanese restaurant with a twist.
Im not usually a tofu fan but the burnt tofu with rice was out of this world. The miso was delicious, not to strong and was full of vegies
returning again to try their pizza.
You must also try their ice cream, you wont regret it.

Pros: great menu, great food, great atmosphere

Cons: none

Best vegan ramen in Kyoto - Edit

A warm and welcoming family-friendly place. They boasted a quality assortment of menu items including deep-fried tofu, pizza, ramen, and traditional Japanese set. The chef was a former roast specialist turned vegan. A regular sized ramen is a generous serving!

Pros: Amazing menu Good value

Cons: Ramen may be a little salty for some

definitely five stars - Edit

One of our favorite vegan restaurants in Kyoto. Amazing soy broth ramen and grilled tofu rice bowl and.. delicious black sesame banana soy shake! The woman server, who I assume is the owner, was really sweet. The restaurant was clean, large, casual, and is within a walking distance from Fushimi-Inari. Give them a try!

Pros: inexpensive

really good! - Edit

My favourite vegan place in Japan and one of the best I've tried around the world! I had the rice and tofu bowl, pizza (I rarely eat mock cheese as I find most of them to be disgusting but this one was pretty good!), the matcha milkshake (it ended up being more of a soft serve than a milkshake, as someone else mentioned below but it was good nonetheless) and the soft serve sundae. The soft serve was really good! They also sell items for your kitchen, eg pasta, sauces, frozen goods.
Highly recommended.

Excellent Vegan East/West Fusion - Edit

Vegans Cafe was at the top of our list of vegan places to visit from their review on japanvegan.blogspot.com. And the real thing did not disappoint.

Located in southern Kyoto, Vegans Cafe is the center for the Kyoto animal rights movement, which means they do more than just cook amazing food, they are actively encouraging a meat and animal product free life style. The restaurant contains flyers about eating vegan and against wearing fur, which is sadly something the Japanese still consider fashionable. (We saw several women wearing what could only be real fox pelts around their necks while walking around Tokyo and Kyoto)

The food is a well done mixture of Japanese and European styles, including rice dishes, casseroles, pizzas, and curries. They also serve vegan desserts including a cashew cream cheesecake and soy ice cream. The staff speak English and their menu is available in English as well. Inside you will also find several vegan goods purchasable from within the restaurant. Seating includes traditional Japanese low tables and mats as well as Western style tables and chairs. Our food came in a reasonable time and was delicious.

I would highly recommend making this restaurant a stop for anyone in Kyoto who is vegan and/or cares about animal rights. If you are a local you might even consider joining them in their campaign to reduce animal cruelty in Japan.

Pros: Great Food, English Menu and English Speaking Staff, Restaurant also active in Animal Rights community

Cons: None. Go eat there!

perfect! - Edit

all the 5 stars views were true. we went there on purpose and it was totaly worth it. we had pizza, grilled tofu with rice and the cake of the day. after all, i wished i was hungrier just to order more things but we were full. good price too and very kind staff. i would recomend it to everyone even, or in special, to non vegans

Pros: all vegan. nice place. delicious

Cons: none

Want to visit again - Edit

I went to this reataurant for dinner on Saturday evening, because they open late only on Saturday.
I really loved their menu serving Donburi(Rice bowl), Ramen(noodle), Pizza and so on, which are all vegan.
I had an Atsuage Don. Very good to have charcoal-grilled tofu with tasty source. I was full with just the medium size of Atsuage and I could not eat any other dishes.
I really wanted to try other things. Next time, I will go again with a hungry stomach. Service is a bit slow, but acceptable.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Reasonable

Cons: Bit far from the center area

takeaway pizza! - Edit

We had soymeat pita pocket and fried tofu with rice, with the salad/miso set.

The soymeat pita and fried tofu both had this incredible sauce on it which was like the lovechild of tonkatsu and a good tangy smoky bbq sauce.

Also had a black sesame and banana milkshake type thing which was so so delicious.

Salad includes okara which is very yummy.

I loved the fried tofu in my bowl so much that I got a fried tofu takeaway pizza for later which was very good and a decent size.

Whole order including pizza cost just shy of 5000en which is fair value if you consider that it was about 3.5 meals.

Will definitely be back!

Must visit after Fushimi Inari Taisha! - Edit

This is my insider's tip in Kyoto. I had a delicious casserole there, followed by one of the best pieces of cake I ever had in a restaurant.

It's also a decent place to stock up in some (guaranteed vegan) foods, since there is a little shop as well.

The waiter's English might not be the best, but they put in a lot of effort.

Comfort food for vegans - Edit

It's comfort food in generous portions! We came for lunch and ordered the seasonal veg & natto salad and the kheema masala gratin with soy cheese. Other lunch diners ordered a pizza, which looked definitely big enough to share.

This is a friendly, casual restaurant ( no reservations needed though some food bloggers have said they were) with some organic produce , raw chocolate and other food products for sale.

It was fairly easy to find in Fushimi, midway between the Fukakura & Fujinomori stations on the Kyoto Keihan subway line, 2 blocks south of the Hotel Urban Kyoto. The Fushiminishiura Post Office is just down the street, and landmarks on the cross street include "Liquor Mountain" , a large liquor outlet, and an AU store. The restaurant website has a good map.

Prices are reasonable and there is an English menu & English speaking wait staff.

Pros: All vegan , Generous portions , Reasonable prices

Amazing! - Edit

Went here after visiting Fushimi Inari shrine as its within walking distance. Fantastic food & desserts - really mindblowingly good! It's worth a trip to come here. Friendly staff too!

Absolutely delicious! - Edit

The food we e joyed at Vegans cafe was some of the best we have had, ever. The caferestaurant is situated a little out of the Kyoto city centre, however it is well worth the trip to get there. After not having lunch, we were ravenous, so ordered a smoked tofu bowl, a creamy rice casserole, a margarita pizza, and a smoked tofu pizza. All were deliciois, but for us the stand out dish was r
The tofu. To top it all off we ordered a slice of the green tea & red bean cake, which was served with complementary vanilla ice cream. A must go to restaurant for any vegan or food enthusiast alike!

Pros: Delicious food, Good service, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: A bit far away from Kyoto city centre

delicious! - Edit

a great cafe to visit if you are on your way to the Fushimi shrine. super helpful and English speaking staff. The curry I had here was amazing!

favorite meal in Kyoto - Edit

this is hands down the best restaurant I ate at in my trip to Japan this month. I got the ramen with the vegetables, and then my friends and I split the curry pizza. Both were amazing. I'm still thinking about that ramen haha. It's a joy out of the way but if you're visiting the fushimi inari shrine then it's pretty close by. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Kyoto.

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegans Cafe and Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.