VeganBurg

415-548-8000

1466 Haight St, San Francisco, California, USA, 94117

Vegan burger eatery from Singapore, est. here 2015. Menu of vegan burgers, fries, sides, and beverages. Burger patties are made from non-gmo soy beans and/or mushroom. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-7:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by mr_mofongo

Reduce, reuse, refuse, recycle. - Edit

Support! Women are meant to be loved!

Pros: Meatless, Beefless

Cons: Miss Singapore Universe as the mascot

Perfect Portions - Edit

A little bit pricey and had some onion skin on my burger but 100% vegan usually local gmo free fresh food and it was very good! I think it was good but not the best.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of options

Cons: Pricey

Disappointing - Edit

This place was on my must eat list on my trip to SF. However, I'm sorry to say did not live up to expectations. The food (the fries especially) where cool in temperature and the burger I had was nothing special. The broccoli accompanyment was tasty. The decor and set up of the venue was nice and clean however.
Overall came away disappointed.

Pros: Clean venue, Modern

Cons: Cold food.

Amazing burgers - Edit

I've been meaning to try this place for a while, but nearby parking is the usual San Francisco awful. Tonight (a Monday night), I was lucky and finally managed to park (actually on Haight Street, a couple doors down!) and try the place.

I had the Hawaiian Teriyaki burger, with (fake) bacon. It. was. amazing. It is definitely worth the public transit hassle.

Pros: excellent food, good service, in San Francisco

Cons: parking, limited hours, in San Francisco

Love It! - Edit

Love the decor! It’s open and brightly lit.
Love the vibe! It’s fun and funny.
Love the food! It’s vegan and delicious.

Try it! You’ll love it!

Nice burgers - Edit

I enjoyed my burger with chips and they give you a token so you know when your meal is ready. My partner said his was the least tasty burger he ate all trip so everyone has different tastes. It was ready quickly and there were plenty of seats. We had a drink but didn't try any sweets, a first for us!

Vegan Burgers - Edit

I was craving a typical fast food type vegan burgers and it was quite difficult to find something similar in SF, then Veganburg appeared and solved all my problems! I wasn't convinced at all to this place due to some comments but after the visit I must admit I don't understand their reasons. The burgers are simply great, and the brocolli side-on works well with. The patties are almost all soy based (gmo free), excepting the bbq one, which bases on mushrooms. This is not a healthy food, of course, but it is a great option when looking for vegan fast food (and it is not so unhealthy at all!). I would definitively come back if I could one day.

Pros: tasty, broccoli

didn't live up to expectations - Edit

We stopped for a late lunch, having heard good buzz.
Burgers were just ok. The party is more like a chicken patty then a faux burger. The "bacon" was pretty good.
The fries were good. Probably the best thing we had was the broccoli side, which is steamed and then lightly sautéed. Too bad, it could be a great concept if done right.

Disappointing honestly - Edit

Let me start by saying I've been to a lot of these vegan healthy burger joints already (maybe that's why I can be so critical). This is by far the most expensive place. I spent $19 for a burger combo. Most places give you options for the burger (tempeh, black bean, ext) this place is soy across the board with 1 quinoa burger I opted for. They say "non gmo" but I know soy's track record, there is no way those burgers aren't straight gmo. They have only a few non organic lemonades and ice teas with some other non organic bottled drinks eh.
Also they played pop music the whole time eh. I traveled far and fought for parking so I ordered hungry. When I got it honestly it wasn't tasty at all. I've been to so many other places who charge less, have a mostly organic menu, have no soy or at least no soy options, have many organic drinks, and are delicious! They rave on Instagram but I think this place is subpar and probably the hype is just because they're vegan burgers..period.

Pros: they have vegan food that's about it

Cons: super expensive , not tasty, bad quality ingredients with poor selection

Must go! - Edit

These burgers don't need much words to discribe: solid burgers with a great taste and excellent sauces. Would travel across the globe again to taste these badboys (from the Netherlands).

Pros: Big, solid burgers, no sloppy patties, Sauces that will make you smile when you taste it, Right in the middle of the hippie-street Haight St

Cons: Not cheap (but worth every penny!)

Yumminess on Haight St! - Edit

Tasty. Delicious. Yummy. These sandwiches/ burgers deserve all of the synonymous adjectives you can think of to describe them. I got the Cracked Mayo "chicken" burger and added bacon, thanks to tips from fellow reviewers. It was very good, flavorful, and the patty was crispy and hot. The vegan bacon was great! I don’t know if it’s soy-based or what, but it is reminiscent of the mushroom bacon which Karyn’s on Green (Chicago) used to make, and it’s my favorite vegan bacon, to date. I also got the seaweed fries, broccoli, and soft serve ice cream. Fries were good. The broccoli was good, but too lemony for my taste. The vegan soft serve tasted a bit "off." While they were making baba's cone, they ran out, so maybe the "off" taste had to do with it being down to the last drop?

I met the owner. He was very nice, albeit, hurried. We had a small issue with one employee who didn't want to give us one of soft serve orders in a cone, for some odd reason. Other than that it was a pleasant experience and we all loved the food. I was this-close to getting a second sandwich! Inside the restaurant is spacious, airy, and clean. I love the faux grass benches which were at some of the tables; so cute! Side note: They have crushed ice, for my fellow crunchers.

True; it is on the pricier side, at $8- $10 (depending on which one you get), just for the burger/sandwich. All sides are extra. I don't remember how much it cost me to add the bacon, but it was worth it! In harmony with other reviewers, they really need to put descriptions for each of their options. If it weren’t for my awesome friends, I would’ve been lost.

I'm not from the area, so I don't know if this is common for SFO, but it seemed like quite the pain to get to, and I only saw street parking, which could have been a pain if we hadn't lucked up. I heard that this was their first US location. Well, I hope that they continue to branch out, because I would love to have a VeganBurg in my hood.

(They lost a star due to the soft serve mini-fiasco.)

Pros: 100% vegan, great food, clean and spacious

Cons: pricey, parking

Good burgers - Edit

VeganBurg came well recommended by a family member, and VegNews magazine blog, so went there for lunch on my most recent visit to the Bay Area. Well worth the drive & traffic from the East Bay.
I had the Smoky BarBQ burger, a grilled mushroom patty on a soft tasty wheat bun with fresh crisp romaine lettuce, tomato, onion, & pickles, cheese, bacon, and smoky BarBQ sauce. Delicious taste & texture, held together well. My dining companion enjoyed the Avocado Beetroot burger, crispy soy patty with avocado, bacon, romaine lettuce, tomato, onion & ranch dressing on a wheat bun. She declared it a winner!
The sides could use some work. The sizzling broccoli was fresh & crisp, yet the plastic cutlery offered was barely substantial at cutting through the thick broccoli stalks; kitchen could have cut this into a more manageable size. The fries were just fast food fries, from frozen, with barely a hint of seaweed seasoning; somewhat disappointing for the potato aficionado in me.
Yes, I plan to return to try the other burgers. Will skip the sides next trip.
Food is served in charming stainless tins, reminiscent of of bento boxes and tiffins. The separate refuse stations, for compost, recyclables & trash, are also a nice touch. There are high chairs available for infants/toddlers, with wide spacing between tables for stroller and/or wheelchair access. Lines formed at the one public restroom inside during the busy lunch period; plan accordingly.
From the order station at the front entry to the pick up counter in the rear at the kitchen, VeganBurg offers a clean, airy, contemporary setting with a bit of a rustic feel & friendly, courteous staff members.
Location is in the heart of Haight-Asbury, so the on street parking can be a challenge.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty fresh burgers, vegetable toppings, Clean contemporary feel

Cons: Sides could use some work, Pricey

Neat !! - Edit

Neat location, friendly service, and comfortable atmosphere. As a vegan myself, i prefer more so veggies and fruits in my daily diet, however i felt the day to try outside my comfort zone with a burger, fry, and soft serve. This restaurant has added a new look and feel to fast food/restaurant service for sure! With friendly smiles all around this place, feel free to be at ease. My only concern is space used, the order taker is right when you walk in, making it a bit awkward for passing traffic. All in all, way to go Veganburg!
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 09, 2016

Pros: Tasteful, Pleasant service

Cons: Expensive , A bit small location

cool place - Edit

Really good food. I brought my non vegan friend and they loved it too. I wish they had just a normal burger but the combos are tasty also. Defiantly coming back.

Pros: cool neighbourhood (very hippie and fun), delicious even for my non vegan friends , the people working are so chill and nice

Cons: not a lot on menu , no "strait up burger" they have a bunch of stuff o

Not our thing - Edit

A nice-looking place with some healthy choices. But we found the burger to be an odd texture with too much dressing. Broccoli is a nice, if rather overpriced, choice. The seaweed on the fries was really just for show, no added flavor to speak of.

Vegan fast food - Edit

We visited Veganburg in San Francisco twice this week. Traveling with a vegan family it's nice to find a place where everything on the menu is vegan.
We ended up trying almost every burger on the menu. My favorite is the "Mustang Relish". One of my kids loved the Hawaiian Teriyaka, with pineapple slices. Everyone loved the seaweed fries (french fries with a dash of seaweed flakes) and the crispy broccoli.
Here's hoping VeganBurg opens some restaurants on the east coast!

Pros: All vegan, multiple different vegan burgers, yummy fries

Cons: can't find nutritional information, parking can be tough, only one US location!

Delicious - Edit

Food is very good, service is ok. A bit slow but I attribute it to the chefs paying special attention to each dish. The chocolate cake was really good.

Working out kinks, will be great - Edit

This location of Veganburg is the first outpost in the US (I believe the owner plans to continue expanding to new locations in the area once this one is settled). It's a small storefront in the busy part of Haight St, so parking will typically be a problem. The nice thing is that they plan to release online ordering and start enabling delivery services like Postmates soon. There's a bottleneck at the entrance where you place your order as you enter, but inside it's a light and airy space with about 30 seats -- generally plenty but gets crowded at mealtimes.

As they've just opened, there are a few inconveniences to work out. The menu is very limited for now, and they are slow to take orders and slower to get food out. Our orders were not exactly right, but since it's all vegan not a big deal. These problems will hopefully be resolved by end of Jan 2016.

The burgers are served in cute metal trays and they're good. The only thing I didn't like about the trays is that when you pay for a meal it comes with fries but not very many. I will try ordering a side of fries next time instead. I like how the meals are classic comfort food but also pretty healthy. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to the drinks or soft-serve which are just super sugary.

I look forward to more options as they establish the place; SF doesn't have very many vegan classic American food offerings right now so Veganburg is very welcome!

Pros: Quality comfort food, Bright interior

Cons: Still ramping up, $13/person and still hungry :(

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VeganBurg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.