Vegan Tree

Contact 215-454-2898

742 South St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19147

Offers a varied range of meals, from veggie sushi and rice to salads, wraps, sandwiches, and vegan cheese steak. Non-alcoholic beverages. Free Wi-Fi. Previously named Loving Hut. Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Catering

First Review by nardanddee

Great! - Edit

I went to here on my lunch break. I order the vegan tree wrap. It was great. The employees were very nice and helpful. Its a good size inside with plenty of seating. I also order a pineapple mango smoothie and it was amazing. Good sized menu also. I'm going to try the sushi next. I'll definitely be going back.

Update: Cheesesteak was bomb and pretty good sushi

Updated from previous review on 2016-05-15

Pros: Good food, Great price, Nice People

Smoothies hit the spot! - Edit

Walking down South Street on a hot summer afternoon (or a cold day in January), step into Vegan Tree for a delicious bubble tea smoothie. Reasonably priced, plenty of flavors, and the bubbles (tapioca beads) are really fun.
Hungry too? Try the spicy pot--a classic Chinese stew with lots of variety in mockmeat--highly recommended, and one bowl is enough for 2 people if you already got the smoothie.
Note: I read some older reviews, and the restaurant seemed noticeably cleaner on my visit this year.

Pros: friendly staff, good value

Nice variety of food, bit disorganized operations - Edit

We went with a big group, so that might have thrown them off, but it seems like our orders came out very staggered, with some items practically forgotten until we got them in take-out containers when paying. So maybe you should stay away if you're in a hurry. But the food itself was all very well seasoned and tasty. There was a nice variety of flavors and textures, each dish was unique and really good. I wish the bubble teas were flavored & colored naturally, instead of with the standard artificial syrups.

Pros: everything tasted really good

Cons: Slow slightly chaotic service

meh - Edit

I am always happy to have an abundance of vegan restaurants in my beautiful little city, but Vegan Tree is not very impressive. I've seen other people talk about sanitation-- as a restaurant employee myself, I was really appalled. The food was okay (lo mein and spring rolls), but the sushi was bad. Tasted soapy?

Best Cheesesteak! & gluten-free choices - Edit

We really liked the food in this neighborhood cafe.
The sushi and cheesy bread were very good, but the cheesesteaks were amazing. FAB marinated seitan.
There are gluten-free choices on the menu
We didn't try the drinks, but they looked yummy.
Good staff. Best dessert was coconut cake.
In the South Street section of Philly, so there are plenty of clubs and bars around since there is no alcohol served.
Bus available practically to the door.
Family friendly and perfect for a meal with friends or before/after a film.
Clean and pleasant ambience.
Blocks from Whole Foods and another grocery store.

Pros: Cheesesteak, Friendly Ambience, Good value

Cons: Tight seating

Appalled - Edit

Came in here after running a race in Philly. We ordered spring roll, golden nugget and hot pot. While waiting for food, I went to the bathroom. It should have been a warning to me, there was a sign on the toilet instructing to remove the plastic lid inside the toilet tank before flushing. Whatever. I dismissed it and went back to wait for the food. A group of six Chinese friends come in with a pet dog (not a service dog). They sit down and order stuff from the menu, and place the dog on the dining table for a portion of time. Not cool! The owner must know them, they were friendly with each other. Ok, I dismiss it again because dogs are allowed in some places that serve food. Final straw, I'm looking at the dessert window and immediately want to barf because I see roaches crawling all over the counter.

We ask for the check so we can peace out. The owner brings us a recently washed container for us to pack our uneaten food. This place is friendly,but really unsanitary. I will not be going back.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 29, 2014

Pros: friendly owners

Cons: this place if filthy, how is it to code?

We were driving up South Street looking for a a parking spot and, luckily, found one right in front of this restaurant.

I had an amazing vegan meal here! The 2 people working (the owners, I think) were sooo nice and friendly to us. The inside was clean and cute and very welcoming.

We started with some "chicken" nuggets. They were fantastic. Then we both had the same meal, the "chicken" sandwich. It was a very hearty meal – and delicious. The restaurant is super clean - I loved every second there!

Pros: Good food, Clean, nice atmosphere, Friendly service

Incredible first experience! - Edit

Went for my first visit on Thursday (7/25/13) and absolutely loved everything! I had the Avocado Summer rolls which were incredible! And the Garlic Sauce Creamy Pasta which was delicious!! I had read some other reviews on here about small portion sizes but couldn't agree less after this visit! You get 9 pieces with the sushi and a large entree I thought! Cannot wait to return!!

Pros: Delicious , Quick takeout, Good prices

Shockingly rude, mediocre food - Edit

There are a few decent options here. Better vegan food is around the corner at blackbird. But I tried to go get the one thing I liked, summer rolls, to go. The restaurant had a sign saying closed until 8 for a private party. Since it was nearly 9, I tried to call to ask if I could get something to go, and the employee picked up the phone while looking at me and hung it up very rudely. I'm really disappointed in being treated that way.

Pros: Vegan, Inexpensive

Cons: Bad service, Small portions, Hit or miss with what's good

Disappointing - Edit

I came here with a group of people and was disappointed in the menu. I found the menu to be a strange grouping of items. They were out of a number of things on the menu when we visited. I ordered the sushi which was not bad, but was very salty tasting. Of course it was dipped in soy sauce so that added to the sodium taste. I also had the summer rolls which were just ok. Plus there was not enough dipping sauce for them. although the sauce was tasty. The small staff is very friendly. My friend's smoothie was very tasty so I might return for a smoothie if I'm on South Street. But I would eat elsewhere.

Pros: Smoothies, Friendly service

Cons: Food selection, Food quality

Nice Joint :-) - Edit

I ate here today for lunch. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I had the chickpea soup served in a heart-shaped bowl and the lo mien with seitan. The food and the serve were great. The atmosphere is that of a small bistro with perhaps only 4 or 5 small tables.

Pros: good food, good value, friendly staff

Vegan Tree - Edit

I really liked this place, but not a huge fan of one thing I ordered.

The spring rolls were amazing, let me repeat, AMAZING! But for my entrée I ordered the vegan cheese steak. It was strange. Let me explain... The seitan was cooked well, but the sauce covering it (and there was a lot of it) tasted of cinnamon and ginger, such a strange taste. My bf commented that it smelled like cinnabuns - too bad I ordered it to go because I would have asked for something else.

Just one off putting thing. I heard them microwaving food...you can hear the "ding" when you're food is ready.

2 Responses

Keiayra I personally like the vegan cheese steak there, because of the cinnamon taste! I feel like its different, and a pleasant change from the norm that I'm used to.

A lot of the foods at the Vegan Tree are from the previous "Loving Hut" Loving Hut is like, one of them growing Vegan chains. Their food takes a LONG time to prepare, and it has to be on point with timing. They all spend all day prepping. Which is common if you prepare vegan meals at home. I asked, and I got an honest answer about the "Ding!"

And yes, the spring rolls are BANNNNGGGINNN'

Scrumptious Cuisine! - Edit

To say this place is amazing is an understatement! The staff are very friendly and accommodating. Food is out of this world! The Health Rice, Vegan Cheese Steak, and Pizza (to name a few) are delicious! Can't wait to go back to try more!! :)

We enjoyed our second visit yesterday afternoon.Place is very clean and server was again very helpful in candidly answering questions about ingredients and recipes.The "cheesy rice" was particularly good. We rarely eat desserts but enjoyed the carrot cake we shared the first visit and cheesecake shared yesterday. Will definitely go back soon.

Pros: Clean, Fair portions, Good variety

Cons: A little small

The Best - Edit

Amazing customer service, and very very kind. The owners are amazing. This place brings me zen, and their menu selection is fantastic. Best Peppermint tea in the city. Love their Healthy Rice! Special Avocado Rolls are PERFECT!

Pros: excellent food, GREAT value , AMAZING staff

great place - Edit

Walking down the street, I see a sign with "vegan" written on it, so of course, I'm very excited. My friends were willing to go in with me, and we loved it. There was a wide variety of items and everything we tried was delicious. I would recommend this place to vegans and non-vegans alike!

Pros: well-priced, good service, happy tastebuds

Extra Sugar and Salt Please - Edit

I tried Vegan Tree 3 times. Probablt to the fault of my own each time I went expecting something different, I got nothing but a barrel of salt and sugar. I asked if the entrees had sugar because it tasted so awfully sweet and I was told that every one of them has sugar in it! I mean I know sugar is not non-vegan but some of us still want to be healthy. By the third time I def had enough and had to throw my food in the garbage for fear of possible high blood pressure, weight gain, and dibaetes. Afterwards I literally drank a gallon of water and went to the gym for 2 hours. PS- The desserts have less sugar than the entrees but were dry as the desert.

Absolutely love this place! - Edit

I attempted to eat here once before but didn't realize that they weren't open every weekday. However, I'm so glad that I tried again. I had the fried broccoli for an appetizer and the 'joy fried rice' for an entree. Both were delicious! There is a great variety of things that you can order and the staff was very friendly and attentive. I will be returning here on my next trip to Philly.

Pros: good variety, tasty food, lots of street parking

Cons: don't deliver out to the airport area

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Tree closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10473 times since Jan 2012.