Vegan Now

312-575-0306

131 N Clinton St (at French Market), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60606

Vegan hot food bar counter inside the French Market set up by the Soul Vegetarian Restaurant people in 2016. Serves comfort food like cornbread, curries, faux chicken. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-6:00pm, Sat 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out only

First Review by mariec1

ok food. - Edit

i'm usually a sucker for any meat-imitation. vegan now does them in a great way - the drumstick was phenomenal, the seitan schnitzel not so much. the tofu was very spicey, it would have been nice to know that beforehand (while it wasn't bad, it definitely came by surprise)

the reason for giving only 3 stars is the fact that all their sides were everything but healthy: corn, fried & battered cauliflower, sweet potato, broccoli & cheese. i like a bit of a mix when it comes to food - something fried but also something fresh. this isn't an option here. that's unfortunate.
if that's not an issue for you, eat here! if you're looking for something fresh - visit raw, which is pretty much right next to it!

i had the small bowl (which won't feed everyone) and paid 10 dollars - quite a bit!

Pros: location

Cons: no healthy options, price

Loooove - Edit

This food is amazing. It's the same restaurant/company as Soul Vegetarian on 75th St and I think the food the same as the hot bar in their restaurant. Definitely go here for lunch and get everything cheesey and meaty. You won't be disappointed. Only thing keeping me from going here every day is how expensive it is.

Cons: Expensive

Happy Camper! - Edit

I was happy to stumble across this place in the French Market. I was able to get a great vegan lunch during a short break. Lots to choose from. All delicious!

Hidden Gem! - Edit

Tucked away in the busy French Market in the West Loop, this is where you can get your Soul food fix, that's vegan! The menu is always changing but always delicious. It's not made to order but it's quick to buy and always tastes fresh. The staff is very friendly and a little on the shy side but always genuine.

Pros: friendly staff, flavorful, filling

Cons: none

go!!! - Edit

Fresh, awesome! Not to be missed

Pros: great food , high protein

Tasty food! - Edit

This small place in the French market offers vegan food to take away. The food is varied and very yummy. You pay the weight of your dish and can choose what you want in a selection of 10 or 12 dishes. I really appreciated the food, the staff was friendly and the price was fair for the quantity I had. The only regret I had was they did not offer any dessert. But I will definitely come back again when in Chicago. Try it!

Pros: excellent food, fair prices, central location, friendly staff

Cons: no desserts

Great addition to the French Market - Edit

As someone who commutes through Ogilvie, I'm thrilled to see that the French Market seems to be becoming a hotspot for vegan and vegetarian food. We already had Raw, Pastoral, which has several vegetarian and one vegan sandwich, and a few other places with vegetarian options. Vegan Now is a great addition, covering a food style that wasn't represented before. I've only tried it for dinner, and I got the sense that they do a bigger spread for lunch. The food is sold by weight and is relatively cheap. Both the offerings I tried were seitan-based, and both were good. The reason I'm giving this place three stars instead of four is that this style of food isn't really my thing. After 25 years as a vegetarian, I've been stuck with mac and cheese too often to like it. I don't like barbecue much, either. I'm glad this place is here for other vegetarians, I'm sure I'll be back in the future for a little variety, and I truly hope the restaurant succeeds. People reading this review: definitely check it out. It's just not going to be my personal top choice.

Pros: Good value

love this place! - Edit

I have actually had dreams involving the bbq seitan, cooked greens, and mac and cheese. Highly, highly recommend.

delicious - Edit

Delicious vegan food!

Amazing!! - Edit

I had never been inside the French Market, but I was in the area and remembered reading they had a vegan spot. So we went around 11am on a Friday and I'm so glad we did! The food is prepared by Soul Vegetarian East, which is located in the south side. I had some of their vegan gyros, spinach quiche, eggplant parmesan, and curry rice. can't wait to go for more! There is plenty of seating in the back.

Pros: Delicious, not crazy expensive ($25~ for 2), locat

Good Vegan Soul Food - Edit

Enjoyed another vegan option while downtown. Several items to choose from. Fast, friendly service. Worth the trip if you're in the French Market.

Pros: Give samples if unsure of what you want, Friendly service, Nice variety

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Now closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.