Vegan House

085432005

Lot 1399, Ground floor, Jalan Kubu, Centre Point, Phase 2, Miri, Malaysia

In 2014 this place replaced Vege King. Although the name states "vegan" the menu does include egg.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Malaysian

First Review by junya

Decent food! Wish I could try more dishes. - Edit

Had the seaweed tofu soup, pretty plain and salty, not a lot of tofu or seaweed but a lot of soup in a big bowl. And then jad stir fried sweet potato leaves, a local delicacy in sarawak. That was great to me. Fried with ginger. Not too oily and had a bit of gravy. Could have used a lil less salt to be healthier.

Name of shop is misleading but then I have found a few places with the name vegan that are actually lacto ovo vegetarian. This is a language issue as most places are chinese owned and english isn't their spoken language. I think a lot of vegetarians here think vegan and vegetarian are the same thing? Anyhow, the people are helpful and menu reliable so it's easy to choose vegan dishes.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-26

Pros: Clean and airconditioned shop, Menu with pictures, Nice stir fry vegetables - sweet potato leaves

Cons: Seaweed tofu soup doesnt contain much

Surreal meal - Edit

I only ate here just once, and only had a soup, so not really enough data for a true review - merely piggy-backing previous reviews. The business is now operating under a new name: Vegan House (though it is NOT a vegan house - egg dishes are one of the house specialties!). I arrived shortly before lunchtime, yet the interior was quite dark - a bit creepy. Despite the extensive menu, I ordered only a soup, to first get a sample. Oddly, I had an undefinable sense of unease with the person who took my order (who I suspect, from his conversation, may have been an owner) - but that just may have been due to the creepy darkness. There was another staff member there whose shirt seemed to be stained with grease (but it was dark, so I'm not sure). I was rather horrified when it was he who served my soup. The taste of the soup seemed familiar: like a cheap mushroom-flavored instant broth I'd once used at home then immediately discarded (but I am reasonably certain this was not my discarded soup). The soup was utterly without any redeeming qualities, with no hint of the work of a professional chef. I was extremely relieved that no one asked: "How was it?". I tried to get out as quickly as I could, but was delayed as the cashier kept asking the other two staff what I had. The confusion was rather shocking, as I was the only customer. All very bizarre, like a nightmare - or maybe it just seemed that way because it was so dark?

Return to Miri Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.