Vegan House

Contact 602-258-3426

20 W Adams St, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85003

Vegan Thai restaurant est. 2015 in downtown. Offers many types of meat alternatives. Menu consists mostly Thai food dishes with also spaghetti with mock meats, several sandwiches and wrap and a dessert selection. Weekday lunch specials. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Arthur Curry

Can't wait to come back! - Edit

Soon as I walked in it smells great, like seafood which I miss now being vegan. Don't have to miss it anymore. The fried taro and peanut sauce is amazing! I was going to get takeout but the rest of my party wanted to dine in even though it was almost closing time. They shooed us out at 9:00 on the nose. Most places let you finish. But with this kind of delicious food I'll be back again and again loving it!!

Pros: Delicious food, attentive wait staff.

Conveniently Vegan - Downtown - Edit

There isn't many options downtown as far as full blown vegan goes. My husband and I were pleased with the service we received. We got a dessert, the fried banana with coconut ice cream. Next time we will get entree's. I was confused because the menu isn't descriptive on ingredients so it's hard to say what the GF options are.

Pros: Convenient location, Comfortable seating

Cons: Ingredients not clearly listed, No menu key

Good Flavors - Edit

I have been here twice for lunch during the work week and have ordered carry-out both times.

The Yellow Curry with Soy Chicken, which came with rice, was very flavorful and had exactly the right amount of spice for a curry dish. The portion was good and they were not skimpy with the vegan chicken. It was a very filling dish and I had enough for 2 days.

On the second visit, I ordered the Grand Tempura. This dish is an appetizer, but was large enough to be a meal for me. It came with tempura battered vegan chicken, vegan shrimp, and assorted vegetables. I spotted broccoli, red bell peppers, onions, and sweet potatoes amongst my veggie variety. The tempura dish came with a delicious sweet chili dipping sauce. The problem is that they only give you one sauce, all of which you'll sop up 1/2 way through this dish. An extra sauce is $2. TWO dollars for a 0.25-0.50 cent cup of sauce. Outrageous. The dish should come with 2 sauces already, based on its size.

I don’t like feeling that I’ve been over-charged, so this issue has kept me away for almost a year. Being that the food was delicious, I plan to give them another try, one day.

Pros: excellent flavor

Cons: some things are over-priced, downtown parking

Such a Pleasure - Fresh Tasty Food - Edit

This is a darling little cafe with fresh light-colored decor and excellent food. I loved their tofu seaweed soup, and the fried rice was a healthy change from what you get elsewhere. The mango and purple rice dessert was fresh and sweet. If I lived here, this would be my go-to for lunch.

Pros: Pleasant ambiance, excellent food

Go vegan downtown Phoenix - Edit

Oriental, tasty vegan food.
Unexpensive menu for lunch.
At few blocks from Phoenix Convention Center. Parking available (parkmeter).

Pros: Tasty, Price for money

Vegan House Yum House! - Edit

This is now my second time here and somehow it is even better than the first. Maybe that's because last time I was here I was 8 days out from my wisdom teeth being pulled. Whatever the reason it is even better than I had remembered. The staff is kind, the Thai ice tea is perfect, and it gives you that true Thai flavor. It can be done family style or individual I would just suggest one plate for an individual as they give you plenty of food! I had the jungle noodles the first time and got the Buddhas delight this time. Both time I got it spicy but I still would not consider this a very hot spicy but I LOVE spicy so keep that in mind. Enjoy!

Best Thai Food in Phoenix - Edit

I love this place!!! Great food ... Spicy if you want it... Not so much if you don't. Great variety on menu and soooo fresh never oily! I m so happy and full every time I leave here that I never have room for dessert but they look amazing so next time I'm ordering dessert first!

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Friendly

Cons: I eat too much everytine,

Not Pleased - Edit

I personally really did not enjoy my experience at this restaurant. My biggest problem was honestly the wait staff. I told the waitress that I really didn't want sauce (I'm not a huge sauce person and I know Thai food has tons of sauce). She said that there was really very little sauce on the dish, so I acquiesced and agreed to have the sauce since it "added all the flavor". By the time I was done with my meal, half the bowl was full of sauce. Not only was this a gross miscommunication on her part, it really made the meal unpleasant for me. On top of that, the tofu was in ginormous chunks in the bowl. On top of that, the taste honestly wasn't that great anyways. Plus, the menu pretty much only has fake meat options. I know that I'm a minority in my general avoidance and dislike of fake meats. However, most restaurants have at least one or two things that don't have tofu and other such alternatives in them. This place had absolutely nothing that could be ordered without the fake meats. My husband was also displeased with his meal, both in taste and in texture. The spring rolls were good at the beginning, but other than that, this was honestly the worst vegan/vegan friendly restaurant I have been to since I've started going to these restaurants. I was extremely disappointed. However, it was a nice atmosphere, and the place was very clean. It's possible that if you really like Thai food you would like this place, but it actually has turned me off of Thai food for awhile, and I was starting to really like it.

Pros: Clean , Good Spring Rolls

Cons: Bad communication, Bland and unpleasant taste and texture, The whole menu is fake meats

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is so cute! The waitress was super friendly and warm, the atmosphere was cozy and jovial, and the food was unique and great! To start with, we got the summer rolls which were very yummy, and then I got the jungle noodle dish, which was very satisfying. I recommend choosing "mild" for spicy level if you are not very tolerant of spiciness. The hot is VERY hot! For dessert, we ordered the coconut ice cream (homemade), and boy, I had my doubts because I typically hate anything coconut, but it was so smooth and creamy with a perfect taste that I loved it! Note that despite the menu using many non vegan item names (like chicken, shrimp, fish, etc..), nothing is actually an animal product.

Pros: friendly waitress, yummy, unique Thai food that isn't too expensive , cute, cozy atmosphere

How Should I Vegan This Review? - Edit

My first visit to Vegan House was the best, unfortunately my following few visits were not as optimal. However, I definitely recommend anyone looking for vegetarian fare in downtown Phoenix to stop in and enjoy a lunch special.

I was so thrilled to see that an all veggie restaurant had replaced the now closed My Mom's Thai Kitchen. Vegan House's decor is earthly colors all over and looks great.

These ain't yo mama's fast food gotta-eat-meat colors. You can free your mind (and your ass will follow) while you sit and wait for food. You may just break out the aromatherapy and start a meditation chant while your Qi comes in equilibrium with the cosmos.

Lunch Specials are M-F 11PM-3PM. They have a to-go menu too and deliver within a mile radius.

The extensive menu includes appetizers, soup, salads, tempura, noodles, rice, sandwiches, wraps, and desserts. And although most of the meals are typical, they are delicious vegan and vegetarian Thai / american.

The Green Curry is delicious. Creamy coconut milk with veggies. I could probably drink the coconut milk by itself.

The Eggplant is delicious as well, but on the oily side.

If you like peanuts, spring the $2 for a side of it and use if for veggie egg rolls dip.

Yum.

Pros: All veggie, In downtown Phx, near light rail, Relaxing atmosphere

Cons: Inconsistent dishes; depends on the cook

Good food and prompt friendly service - Edit

I'm not a fan mock meats but despite that everything was very good. The staff were very helpful and the food was prepared quickly and served hot.

Pros: Big menu with lots of vegan options, Very friendly service

Cons: Lots of mock meats

Delicious authentic-inspired food! - Edit

Unlike the other Thai places in the valley, this one is absolutely without a doubt 100% vegan-dedicated. Their dishes are colorful, inspired, and absolutely delicious! I am a pad thai lover, and their pad thai is spot on. They have tofu as well as mock meats that are all fantastic. Their soups and appetizers are absolutely delightful, as are their drinks. Their location is downtown with on-street metered parking, but it's worth the trouble as their beautiful dining room transports you into tranquility. My only real complaint is gluten-free is difficult here as they don't label for gluten-free and some of the staff don't appear to be English-fluent.

Pros: Authentic 100% vegan Thai food, Beautiful dining room, Tofu & mock-meat options

Cons: On-street parking only

Fresh Thai with lots of vegan seafood options - Edit

Vegan House has a clean and relaxing atmosphere. The server was attentive, and it was slow because it was Sunday at noon.
I had the Summer Rolls appetizer with vegan shrimp instead of soy chicken (which has gluten). This was two large rolls cut into two and quite filling, so I ordered an entree (Pad Thai with vegan shrimp) to go and skipped to dessert.
I chose the Crisp Rubies but had to ask what it was. The server explained and warned that some customers didn't care for it because it is soup-like. But I enjoyed it–it's kind of like an exotic fruit cocktail in coconut milk, with ice cubes that you stir around to chill the coconut milk (for those also ignorant of Thai desserts : )
The meal was a tad pricey ($30-before tip-for full meal for one person-appetizer, drink, entree and dessert), but portions are generous and it was all good. If like me, you choose Thai to enjoy some spiciness. I would recommend trying "hot" as the "medium" was like "mild."

Pros: 100% vegan, Generous portions , Good service

Cons: A tad pricey, Parking downtown can be a hassle, Gluten-free not labeled

I'll Move To Az So I Can Eat Here Everyday! - Edit

Stopped here after leaving the airport, and its so great! Soy chicken looked house made and was delicious and generous. Lots of fresh ingredients.

Pros: Cheap, Healthy, Large Portions

Wonderful Experience - Edit

Please keep in mind that they are just soft opening for 3 weeks so far. We went on a Sunday night at about 8 PM and it was very quiet because the major foot traffic is Monday - Friday for all the downtown business.

Their menu is dominantly Thai which is awesomely refreshing! We had their Vegetable Vermicelli Soup and the Pumpkin Curry with a side of really delicious wild rice. Both were so delicious. I like the curry more though, however, I am a soup fanatic and I will say that it was very good soup. We chose the mock chicken for both and it was very good.

Our waitress was very kind and nice. It was very clean and the music was nice. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience.

I know some people may complain about the price, but it is in the heart of downtown Phoenix, so the prices need to be a bit higher for rent! Thai Basil is right across the street so they have some competition. Please support them!

I am so excited to have a Vegan Thai Restaurant in town!
Updated from previous review on Monday April 27, 2015

Pros: Can walk around in downtown, Clean & Nice Interior Design, Yummy Food!

Cons: Pay for Parking Close

Vegan House - Edit

So my wife and I (Vegans) were sent pictures of this place while at work today by my mother and sister (omnivorous creatures) who both work downtown. With no idea of what type of food the Vegan House offers, the two of us met up and headed over to try it out. A new vegan restaurant, not much can be more exciting living in a busy city with limited vegan options. As we walk in we are greeted with a small room full of tables crammed together with menus sparingly placed about. With no one to welcome us in or direct us on how the restaurant works we sheepishly walked up to the register in the back of the room. A woman comes from the back and asks if it's for two, we agree, and she points to a table. We sit down where there's only one menu, and I wait patiently for her to bring me another. She doesn't. So I grab one from another table and start to read. The lady comes over with 2 waters with lemon in them already, and asks us what we want to order in less than 5 minutes of us sitting down. We explain we aren't quite ready yet so she goes back into the kitchen. The prices on the dishes are pretty steep, generally what you'd pay for dinner size portions at a decent restaurant. First we order an appetizer. Fried sweet potato and taro with tangy peanut sauce. $8. We were eventually greeted with 4 slices of sweet potato and 4 slices of taro. About a third or less of a whole potato. The tangy sauce was sweet and sour with a spoonful of peanut butter in it, unmixed. It also came with a pinch of store bought salad mix. Our main dishes cost $10 each. I ordered a hot (warm) soy chicken sandwich and the Mrs ordered noodles with peanut sauce. My dish came out first. On my plate was a hand full of fries, more salad mix, and a soggy sandwhich with warm tofu chicken, also possibly storebought. My 5 year old nephew could probably put together a better sandwhich for cheaper. After a few minutes the other dish arrived. It was definitely a better portion size for $10. However, the sauce was lackluster. It was a mix of red curry powder, peanut butter, and coconutmilk. Very bland. I would have ordered one of the deserts, but she came over with the receipt once we were finished and did not give me the opportunity to ask. Overall, if you want great Thai food, go 3 doors down to Thai Basil.

Pros: most vegan seafood options ive ever seen, variety , server was fairly nice

Cons: cramped, bland food, overpriced

Return to Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.