Vegan Flava Cafe - temporarily closed

Vegan delivery turned brick-and-mortar in 2015. Offers a menu of mostly raw food, in a relaxed environment. Previously on Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd. NOTE: closed for relocation, Jan 2017. Open Tue-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Catering

First Review by Jfer

Pure Vegan Greatness!!! - Edit

An amazing venue with an amazing vibe..very spiritual and all-natural, and the staff are so friendly and kind.
The food is supreme, especially the BBQ Jackfruit. My dish was the two taco entree with BBQ jackfruit and I was in awe at the deliciousness! It is a must have.
The smoothies are delicious too, I recommend the berry variety.
The restaurant is all-round vegan paradise, if I was from the area, I'd be a regular no doubt!

Pros: BBQ Jackfruit !, Great atmosphere/vibe, Variety and Deliciousness

This Food is Medicine! - Edit

We had the Curry Lentils with Coconut Rice and Kale Salad, the Tasty Tacos (with red beans and seasoned ground walnuts), and a cup of coffee. This meal made our day. The people, and other customers were lovely and welcoming. The ambiance and music was cool. The menu is of daily fare, but did not leave us wanting for anything. Not only are the flavors well developed and comforting, every ingredient is of whole, real, fresh food. Nothing is processed. This food is medicine.

Pros: Real, delicious, healthy food, Amazing service, Exciting desserts

Cons: No flaws whatsoever

DELICIOUS - Edit

The food here is very good and filling. They have a bunch of entree options and daily specials, as well as raw deserts. I had the BBQ Jackfruit special over brown rice, which came with a side of Kale Salad and Sweet Plantains. Also tried the Berry Flava smoothie (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana + vanilla almond milk) w/ peanut butter added, as well as a carrot cake (they were out of ALL the raw cheezecakes). Yum all around.

As a side note, this is also an establishment that clearly has a bunch of folks that come in frequently. Nice to see a real community-centered spot.

Pros: Affordable, Fresh ingredients, Well-flavored food

Cons: Out of the cheezecakes by 8:30 PM

Can't Stop Thinking About the Food - Edit

My husband and I ate here on Saturday afternoon and haven't stopped talking about it since. We had the tacos, the curry lentils, BBQ jackfruit, and chickpea "tuna" wrap. All four items were absolutely delicious with our very favorite being the BBQ jackfruit. The flavor was unbelievable. There is no where else in the area where you can get delicious, healthy and FRESH food at such an inexpensive price. We also had the sangria. I am usually not a fan but this was different - sort of tropical and served in a large wine glass. It was fantastic and strong enough for me to have only one! For dessert we had the pecan pie (HOW is this thing vegan when it tastes identical to animal product pecan pie??), and the PBC cake - ate every crumb. My husband and I are both thin and not usually inclined to eat large meals, but we ate every bit of the food I listed above. Just couldn't help ourselves. Rog(er) waited on us and we ended up chatting with him for a good 20-30 minutes. Such an awesome guy. This place has such a laid-back, friendly, positive vibe, it was easy to stay longer than we planned. We will definitely make the long drive from Wake Forest to go again because it's worth it.

Brilliant concept delicious food - Edit

I had the lentils, salad and pan fried plantains and it was amazing to my taste buds. Finally, wholesome, hearty and delicious vegan food in my locale! The price for a meal is a tad high, but isn't it worth it? Plus the portions are very generous. I was extremely hungry when I arrived and left feeling very full, but not too full.

I tried the carrot cake too and the icing had an unusual texture, but it was still delicious.

I dislike the strange ice-less water, alkaline water is an unscientific scam.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-20

Pros: Well seasoned and healthy food, Every item on the menu looks delicious, all vegan and across from an indian store

Cons: Extremely warm inside during the summer, They make strange health claims about the water, There's no ice in the water

t'was good - Edit

from the road, this place looked really sketchy. the atmosphere is like an island theme, and the music was very boho and I loved it. I ordered the "two tasty tacos" and they were exactly that; tasty!! another great meal I would recommend was the curry lentil special. everything on the plate was delicious. for desert, they have raw treats!! I got the strawberry cheesecake and it was so good, I couldn't get enough. the only complaint I have is that it seemed like they were understaffed and the place was packed. it took about 20 minutes to get our food, and it was very interesting that they served all their meals on paper plates. overall, I would definitely try to eat here again if I ever have the chance.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: slow service

We left feeling like family - Edit

Food was amazing! Menu had a great variety, but entrees and desserts do run out. Atmosphere has an island feel. Staff is passionate about serving vegan food that brings joy. We left feeling like we were part of the family.

Pros: Amazing staff!, Excellent plant based food!, Casual, laid back atmosphere

Cons: Entrees and desserts can run out

Don't let it intimidate you! - Edit

I'll be honest- I was intimidated about going here for a little while. I place with "vegan" in the title that sold a bunch of smoothies? I thought it would be some weird health-nut place; I'm not really in to veganism for the health, I'm in it for the amazing food (and a lot of it...)

Amazing friendly staff, even better food. I felt like I was walking into my friend's home for a meal. They're very community-oriented- hosting chess clubs and other things like that.

I would highly recommend anyone, not just vegans, to go have a meal or two here.

Pros: 100% vegan

Cons: DI water (makes my head hurt)

AMAZING VEGAN FOOD! - Edit

First, make sure you save room for dessert because the Vegan Cheesecake is heavenly! All of the dishes are flavorful and you'll be shocked when you realize you're eating all vegan food. Organic, fresh, and natural dishes made with love and care!

Exceptional Vegan Newcomer - Edit

My husband and I ate lunch at Vegan Flava and were happy to find a welcoming local vegetarian restaurant. We both enjoyed our entrees completely. We found the jack fruit barbecue sandwich spot on. It was delicious and the texture was perfect. The side of plantains was perfectly sautéed and the kale salad was massaged with a tasty dressing. My husband also loved the texture and taste of the tacos. He found them very satisfying. The staff was friendly and communicative. The chef came out and showed us what a jack fruit looked like and we had a fine conversation with him about all the different ways to prepare jack fruit. I highly recommend this restaurant. It does have a laid back feel so I can imagine that it would be a challenge for them to handle a full house. Lunch was great!!

Pros: Unique combos, Delicious sauce and sides, Great value

Cons: could be fresher looking

I thought I cheated. - Edit

I stopped by Vegan Flava during their Sunday brunch after a very long hike. I was famished and tried the entire brunch special. I honestly thought I was eating gluten. I asked the owner twice about the ingredients just to make sure. Trust me, the food is incredible. I am so glad I found this place and decided to try it. Totally worth it.

Eclectic and Vegan - Edit

I went here for the first time as part of a birthday party--a group of about 20 folks. The restaurant is fairly small, and business was brisk.

The menu is limited: It has mostly raw vegan offerings, plus a few Daily Specials that are hot. I ordered one of the specials: Organic curry lentils over organic coconut rice served with organic kale salad and baked plantain.

My biggest problem with eating out in restaurants is that the food is never hot (in terms of temperature). I like my food to be very hot, which is why I cook a lot of my food at home in a wok. Unfortunately we had to wait a long time to get our food (about 45 minutes), and my dish was just lukewarm when it arrived. Granted, we had a big group, which may have caused the delay, as well as the cooling off of my food.

The taste of my dish was great. Funny, but the greens in the kale salad tasted more like collards. And I don't recall getting a baked plantain as part of my dish. I found the $10 price for my dish to be very reasonable, considering it was vegan and contained mostly organic ingredients.

The menu includes a variety of unusual vegan wraps, which you can get wrapped in your choice of lettuce, seaweed, or collard greens. I found the menu a bit confusing because of the various choices among the wraps.

Not much ambiance, but worth checking out. As far as I know, this is the only vegan restaurant in Durham. This is a locally owned, minority owned business.

Pros: Vegan, Organic ingredients, Low prices

Cons: Long wait for food

Awesome, Unique Experience - Edit

My boyfriend and I ate here on a whim; we regularly visit Li Ming's grocery and Atomic Empire nearby, and it was only chance that we happened to look over and see a welcoming n sign with that magical word - Vegan - on it.

The first thing that we noticed was how kind and welcoming the staff is. We were greeted and seated promptly, and several of the people struck up friendly conversations with us.

My boyfriend had their hot food plate special; penne with red sauce and Daiya cheese with a side that I don't recall. The pasta was overcooked, but delicious - he scraped the plate! I had the tacos, which were really tasty, though I should have ordered them as wraps instead of on the crunchy shells, as the shells were just taken out of a box and served as is. The kale salad was superb, and the dressing reminded me of experiments I made with veganism in the 90s (very Robin Robertson, but in a really good way!).

The owners gave us a piece of cake for making us wait for our food for longer than they thought we should have. For the record, we were having a great time chatting with each other and one of the other owners, and we hadn't really noticed how long it took the food to come around.

I can't wait to go back and try more! I'm so glad that this place exists!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, all vegan

Cons: out of the way

Finally!!! - Edit

As one who greatly appreciates vegan cuisine I have to say I am glad we finally we have a place in Durham!

When I went I had the taco salad. It was all vegan and was topped with a walnut based taco "meat", avacado and tomatoes.

The vibe of the location is relaxed as if you are somewhere in the tropics opposed to the busy highway running through the city.

The owners were warm and actually came to our table and answerex questions about our dish!

I will definitely be returning!

Pros: Good food, Good vibe

fantastic holistic delicious fresh healthy food! - Edit

We were thrilled to find this spot, driving through the region. The owners are passionate knowledgeable and dedicated to holistic raw foods and alkaline water. I also really appreciated the social justice element here. The walls are plastered with posters of local activism and events – environmental, cultural, animal rights, etc. the food was truly divine. And the owners and everyone who worked there seemed genuinely passionate about making the world a better place. And most important – the food was excellent we had The seaweed wrap tacos, a milkshake, and the collard green wrap, and a sample of waffles, which they gave us for free! We will definitely be back.

Fully vegan restaurant in Durham!!!!!! - Edit

I went for the first time today and enjoyed my food very much! The kale salad is a specialty of the house and very good. I also had the raw cashew cheese cake with walnut crust that did not disappoint. The menu is small and not all options on the website are always available. It looks like the food is mostly raw, but they told me they are serving Sunday brunch with waffles and cheesy grits that I can't wait to try.

Pros: All vegan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Very friendly staff, Ample seating

Return to Chapel Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Flava Cafe - temporarily closed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.