Vegan Deli

• Vegan
Contact n/a

Augustenstrasse 5, Munich, Germany, 80333

Small vegan deli bar offering snacks, soups, salads, smoothies, juices, and cakes. Uses organic, fair trade ingredients. Originally known as Yam Vegan Deli.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Bakery, German

First Review by wangyueh

Cute Cafe with well priced food - Edit

The Vegan Deli is a small cafe with a choice of starter, main, soup and a range of cakes. The food was well priced and the cakes were delectable. The two ladies working there were friendly and made the cafe a welcoming one. They were able to translate the menu into english for me and even told me how to make the spread that was on the bread. A welcoming cafe that is well worth the visit.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy and tasty food

Cons: main was a little small, but with a desert is the

Such a cozy little place - Edit

Visited in June 2016.

The food contents is as explained by other reviews; there is "today's plate" and I think there is also a soup; drinks and desserts.
I don't remember exactly what were the dishes I got in the plate; but all I can say is that it was very good.

I ordered food to take-away; so I did not stay a log time inside; however, the place was small but cozy.

I arrived around 11.30; so I can imagine how busy it can get during lunch time.
The staff was very nice; welcoming and smiley, perfect. :)

By the way, if you take away food; you'll need to "pay" a deposit of €3, because the food is given to you on a glass container (I guess to minimize waste).
The deposit is given back when you bring back the container.

Pros: good value, nice vibe, very nice staff

Cons: small place, just one plate, works only for lunch

Nice small place with nice vegan food! - Edit

Even though the offer is limited, it's very tasty!
The place is small, but very cosy and charming!
The guy working there is super friendly!
Definitely recommended!

Pros: tasty food, nice athmosphere

Great place! - Edit

I totally adore this place. Although it is a very tiny café, you have the best food! It is all vegan, the staff is super friendly and the dishes taste delicious

Pros: Only vegan, friendly staff, very beautiful and cozy

Cons: Should be way bigger! The food is amazing!

great place, near HBF :) - Edit

We came here hen we arrived too early in Munich for check in at our hotel and it is right near the main station.
I was expecting something quite basic but it's actually rather nice. There isn't much selection (one main, soup and salad), but they do a combo dish which was pretty decent and very filling. My husband and I also shared cheesecake and chocolate beetroot cake. I was ready explode after all that food. Glad we went when we did as we wouldn't have had a chance as it closes early and isn't open over the weekend.
I'd definitely recommend

Pros: near station , healthy, not fast food, no fake meats etc

Cons: closed at weekend

Delicious food. Great setting. - Edit

Absolutely loved the place. Had a healthy, wholesome lunch main, which was a wrap and also tried an amazing slice and coffee. For the coffee they offer soy, oat, rice and almond milk.

Pros: healthy, organic , fast

Nice cakes, friendly staff - Edit

This is a cosy little café in a great location, only a 5 minute walk from the main train station. I haven't eaten a main dish here, but the coconut cake I tried was delicious, and the staff member who served me was very welcoming and friendly. They also have a few grocery items for sale. I'd like to return and try some of the hot food, though it might be best to go early as there are not many seats.

Pros: location, atmosphere, friendly staff

great for to-go, healthy - Edit

I really enjoyed this tiny cafe. Lots of stuff to-go and they also sell some vegan packaged foods. They base the menu on daily specials. I thought the food was delicious and nutritious.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Healthy food, Fair prices

Cons: Small, Limited menu

Good for a Deli - Edit

This small and cozy eatery offers also a range of superfood products like chia seeds or spirulina for example. They "only" offer one main course during the whole day which you can combine with a hot soup. The staff is very friendly and courteous. If you're not that chary and looking for something to eat without a restaurant feeling, then you are right. Ahh....and yes, not to forget the juices/smoothies...very great!

Lovely place! - Edit

I went there a few times for lunch.
It is a small place approx 12 seats inside and 6 outside.
I try to arrive at 13.45 earliest because otherwise it is very crowded.

They serve very delicious food!
I very much like how they handle the food. How they combine different ingredients and spices. They do not try to mimic meat or other animal products (I say this without any judgement, because I do sometimes like fake meat).
There is a no waste policy as far as i know, meaning the vegetables that where not used in the main dish will be part of the dip the following day.

They will post a picture of the menu of the day on facebook, which is very handy.

They serve unusual cake combinations like sweet potato-cashew for example, and they taste wonderful.

They serve fresh juices and smoothies.
And also have a little selection of "superfoods" (from chia seeds to chocolate and bread) for sale.

As far as I know everything is organic.

They are very, very nice! Any questions I had were answered with a smile.

If you like you can order tap water (not that common in Germany).

You can easily get there it's quite close to U Bahn Königsplatz and Main Station.

Highly recommended!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

Pros: delicious food of any kind, nice staff, easy to get there

Cons: small (also a Pro.. because it's cosy..)

Fresh - Edit

So I had sweet potato soup, bread with beet dip, a green smoothie, and a piece of yogurt(?) cake. Everything was good. I didn't much like the cake, but it's probably because I love chocolate. The place is small and cozy. They have some bulk nuts, dates, and oats, chocolate bars, fruit and nut bars, and nut and soy milks. I grabbed a soy milk. I liked it because it was sweetened with apples. Note to self: Never buy green smoothies at places! They are too easy to make at home for much cheaper and 5! times the amount. But I still enjoyed the one here. That soup was amazing. I will definitely be back.

Pros: filling, friendly service, tasty

Good meals, but too small a space - Edit

We had the combo (soup, beetroot salad, quinoa salad), which was tasty and healthy. We tried two desserts, but found them lacking in flavor, probably because they were sugar-free. It is a very small cafe, there were not enough places to sit and we were being jostled by the people standing in line waiting to order, and it was noisy.

Pros: Good hearty meals, Friendly staff

Cons: Small cafe, Noisy

marvelous cake - Edit

nice, little, laid back cafe closed to the main station (5 min. to walk).
i had a marvelous (and sugar-free) cake and a matcha latte (don't try this if you don't like the taste of algae ;-)).

Pros: laid back atmosphere, closed to the main station, tasty food

Cons: small choice

Best coffee in Munich - Edit

A small, cosy and friendly place, Yam Vegan Deli serves the best coffee we had in Munich (this is coming from two Melbournians).

We also had a light lunch between the two of us, the Mix Tape; a taster plate of two salads and a small soup for 9 euros. Great value and delicious.

Pros: Fabulous soy coffee, Tasty fresh food

Friendly spot for a light, inexpensive meal - Edit

Yam Vegan Deli is a nice, relaxed place for a light, healthy vegan meal. The food was tasty and obviously prepared with care. The staff take pride in the food they prepare and serve. Everything is (as much as possible) fair trade and organic and there was a varied (though limited) selection of soups, light entrees and desserts.

Space is a bit tight so I think it might be hard to find seating sometimes, but definitely worth a try.

Pros: healthy, moderately priced, fair-trade/organic

Cons: limited menu

amazing food - Edit

well worth the run from a metro in a pouring rain!
the food was wonderful. the meal of the day included some pretty complex salad/appetizer bowl with just about everything in it - quinoa, tahini eggplant, tofu, bean salad, salad leafs, yummy spreads and delicious bread on the side.
so satisfying and packed with flavor! best food ever!

it represents the name perfectly. :)

Pros: complex flavour, variety, quality

Great place! - Edit

I went to Yam Vegan Deli in April 2013 on a rainy day. The place is small but so inviting. Great selection, the food was so delicious that I concluded that all on the menu was worth trying! I just love this place, I could have stayed in until the next meal! For me it was far better than Boonian in Viktualienmarkt both in selection, taste and atmosphere and it was as much inexpensive for a complete meal there than at Boonian, yet for some reason they rate it as 'moderate' in price whereas Boonian is rated as 'inexpensive'. If you are looking for an inexpensive veg restaurant in Munich, do not miss this place.

Pros: delicious healthy vegan food! , Inexpensive, Cozy

Very nice deli - Edit

We went there on a Saturday, and took the main dish, soup and cake, because we wanted to get a good idea of the range of flavours served. All were excellent! The staff was very friendly, and the prices were nothing to complain about either.

All in all, we immediately loved this place!

Pros: Flavour, Staff friendliness, 10 minutes walk from main station

Cons: A little off the obvious routes

small but nice - Edit

Very small place with a tiny menu of options, as well as a little "store" thrown in. I got there a few minutes too late (an hour before closing on a wet, rainy, miserable Saturday night, when they couldn't have expected much business) to get the dinner special, but the lady kindly made me a large bowl of the day's soup and charged me a very fair price for it. The soup, the bread, and the dips were all very tasty and felt very healthy, too. Wish I had a chance to go back and try the meal plates!

Only reason to take a star off is the limited menu, though it's not surprising given the size.

Pros: tasty food, fair prices

Cons: limited selection, can be cramped

Delicious & friendly - Edit

This place is small and cozy, but the staff is extremely friendly, and the food is just delicious. I recommend "the mix tape" - it's a sampler of everything they have for the day.

The menu rotates daily, but I've yet to try anything that wasn't delicious. This place has become a regular stop for me whenever I'm in Munich.

Pros: All-vegan, Organic, Independently-run

extraordinary cosy cafe - Edit

i love the design of yam deli! i'm really comfortable in there :)
the food is also very nice! prices for everyday eating would be a but high, but once in a while i'm coming around!

Yum Yam - Edit

The name 'deli' suggested to me simply a cold food counter with maybe a couple of seats if you are lucky and a poor selection of badly prepared food. How wrong I was. This is a modern, sleek and bold but small establishment, extremely cosy inside with plenty of quality wooden seating for at least 12 people. They do a couple of soups each day, salads and 1 main course. We arrived and ordered but at 5 pm they had actually ran out of food which wasn't a problem as we were offered dips and bread which was sufficient and delicious. The presentation was exceptional. this is a perfect place to sit at the window, fill up on healthy stuff on a cold afternoon before sinking a few biers later in the evening. I hope it does well.

Pros: nice window seats, friendly

Cons: limited food

Absolutely Loved It!!! - Edit

This adorable cafe is very close to the train station in Munich and also close to my hotel (awesome). The owner and wait staff were extremely friendly and spoke English; they all sat and chatted with me and recommended places to see in Munich as well as other vegan cafes to hit in my next cities I was traveling to. The chocolate/beet cake was amazing and I left completely satisfied both times. Also, I rarely drink anything but water, however the drinks I tried were very simple, low cal, mildly sweeet, but very tasty and well worth the spend. I would love to make it back here! Lunch doesn't start until noon though and there is one 'meal' so to speak, each day. You can order larger portions of the components of the meal (like the bread and dips) but if you want the variety/course offering, there is one. Very good though!!

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Good Mags to read

Cons: Warm (heat)

Small, cozy with tasty food - Edit

I went with another 2 friends after our workshops one Saturday afternoon. We enjoyed the softdrinks, all of us ordered vegan cakes. I like the way how food is displayed and presented. Fancy names for drinks do make you feel like trying them all. As for those vegan cakes - need to be improved.
I will recommend to others and I will return to try their cooking again.

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8981 times since Jun 2012.