Vegan Danish Bakery

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
Contact 905-882-1331

7718 Yonge Street, Thornhill, Ontario, Canada, L4J 1W2

Vegan bakery specializing in Danish baked goods like spandour, kransekage, and marzipan. Has cafe seating, coffee and tea. Also makes other vegan items like chocolate jams, pate, and burger patties and a few savory meal items for take home. Opened since Feb 2010. Tue-Fri 12:00pm-7:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-6:00pm

First Review by Ken4057

Neighbourhood gem - Edit

I reviewed this bakery a few years ago and mentioned the lack of variety (likely due to the very small space). I have come back to update my post because the bakery has grown.

They moved next door and now have several tables and gorgeous decor. The environment is warm and welcoming and while I always pop in for only a second, I would love to come by for a cup of coffee and relax in a space like this.

They carry more products than they used. They have a nice mix of offerings, including some gluten-free alternatives. They also sell some commercial products like vegan cool whip and snacks.

Most importantly I've had their cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, carrot care, rum balls, and more, and can confirm they make excellent food.

The staff are so lovely. The owner (I assume she's the owner) is always chatty and tells me exactly how to warm the pizza scrolls.

All in all, a great little vegan shop!

Updated from previous review on 2014-02-16

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Excellent taste, Great atmosphere

Delicious Baked Goods!!! - Edit

I've been to the Vegan Danish Bakery a couple times now, and all I can say is, I'm sad it's so far from home!!! I LOVE their desserts; they are all delicious and amazing! I'd really recommend their cakes (super moist and rich), the Danish specialty baked goods (like the almond cake -- I forget it's actual name), and the cookies (I adore the maple-pecan cookie). The staff are super friendly. Everything is displayed nicely in front, to really get you salivating! And they also have food products and books for sale. A must-go for dessert lovers like myself :)

Pros: AMAZING Desserts, Friendly Staff, Dessert Display

Cons: Small Store

Go there!! - Edit

not only did they have great baked goods, like giant danishes and a heavenly chocolate mocha cake, but they also sell vegan chocolate bars! a twilight bar that resembles a mars bar and a jokers bar that tastes like sneakers. I would go again and again just for the bars!
they also sell good quality big cakes for events and birthdays and the whole place is not too expensive for a bakery.

Made my American Thanksgiving! - Edit

We are here from the states for a party, during our American thanksgiving. We ventured out from our hotel to this charming bakery. It was amazing. Everything was vegan and SO many gluten free options too! The case was filled and the shop was clean. The owner is so sweet and made recommendations on a few restaurants for us during our stay. We got two types of cheesecakes and a cupcake all for around $16. Total score. Super impressed

Delicious! - Edit

I've had a variety of items from this place and they're all phenomenal. Love the slices of chocolate cake! I've even shared some cupcakes with non-vegans and they loved them!

(Funny how some mentioned location, I personally love it! Don't have to go all the way downtown to find some delicious vegan treats)

Pros: Scrumptious!, Friendly, helpful staff

If I lived next door, I'd be 500lbs! :-) - Edit

I love, love, love, love Vegan Danish Bakery. I don't get there often enough, but they have delicious, fresh, baked goodies, plus a few vegan alternative products for sale. Just finshed some mini cupcakes, and super-fresh Danish frenchbread. Mmmmmmm... If I lived closer, I could eat like this every day! Soooo glad this store exists!! It's tiny, but worth the trip to north Yonge St. I can't wait 'til vegan soft-serve "ice cream" season returns!

Pros: Vegan!, Delicious!, Good quality!

Cons: Limited selection, Inconvenient location (for me)

It's the best - Edit

I wrote that Rise Above was the best vegan bakery in Ontario, but I forgot about Vegan Danish Bakery! Really their stuff is super good. BUT... I forgot about them when writing about "the best vegan bakery in Ontario" because they are SO FAR. This is also why I've only been there ONCE. So I haven't tried a huge variety of stuff. STILL, I have tried quite a bit considering I've only been there ONCE! :) I still think about the box load of desserts I got after the Veg Pride Parade in 2010. Yowza. Time to go back!

Pros: REALLY GREAT

Cons: Closed Mondays, way way too far from downtown

You can not believe it is vegan! - Edit

We started buying cakes and breads from this bakery last fall (2011) and there is no plan to stop it. We already had their "Chocolate and Cherry" cake for 3 parties with non-vegetarian/vegan friends. They really liked it. The cheese cake and shortbread chocolate cookies are delicious as well. Other than eating delicious treats we few good buying their products as we know we are making a difference for some animals. We are luck having this bakery close to our home. Thanks Shana and family for running it! Katia & Carlos

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, Animal free food

All Vegan Bakery and Truffles- huge selection! - Edit

This bakery is a slice of perfection. literally, a slice- the space is tiny! It's like the Mary Poppins bag of the baking world- it's amazing what they fit in there! Not only do they offer all vegan baked goods and tea, soft-serve and and other portable treats. They also have full cakes, take special orders, have an excellent selection of delicious hand-made truffles and and a freezer full of to-go mains like vegan lasagna or tuna! The staff are soooo friendly and knowledgeable about veganism. They have wild wood yogurt (the best yogurt out there!), Go Max Go chocolate bars, Daiya, Tofurky and Toffutti products. It is definitely worth the trip, and if you're coming in from out of town, feel free to give them a shout first and let them know what you're coming, ask what they have available and consider making a special request.

Pros: Friendly, Great quality, Good selection

Guilty Pleasures - Edit

The woman working was really nice and knowledgeable about veganism. Since it was a hot summer day, they only had pastries that would be good at room temp (thus no truffles). She said larger counters were in the works and once they had refridgerated counters, they would offer tons of cake options. She gave my boyfriend and I free samples of their delicious chocolate soft serve and a free cinnamon roll becuase it got broken. The butter tart was my favorite, but EVERYTHING i ordered was moist and rich. They also supply tofutti cream cheese and sour cream, daiya cheese, and a vegan frozen tuna that i have heard good things about. Overall great experience and I can't wait until they expand their counter space!!

Pros: Nice people, everything is delicious

Cons: small counters!

We nearly wept - Edit

I'm not going to lie to you. When my partner and I first bit into their freshly baked blueberry danish with icing drizzled all over it, we nearly wept for joy.

Vegan Danish Bakery is in Thornhill, so we took public transit from downtown, a nearly 2 1/2 hour journey altogether, just to come here. It was so beyond worth it!

We had a rich layered mocha cake (again, like being born again), a tall strawberry shortcake (must have been 7 inches high), a raspberry torte (gorgeous) and a chocolate almond biscotti. All were sensational.

The owners are actually Danish, and a family member is a distributor for Ami vegan dog food, so they had the Ami line for sale as well.

Can't wait to go back again and again and again. My new favourite place in the city.

Six stars!

Pros: Heaven, Heaven, Heaven

Cons: tiny, far from downtown

Return to Thornhill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Danish Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3441 times since Apr 2010.