Vegan Cooking Today

757-369-1080

12638-15 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, Virginia, USA, 23602

Offers takeaway vegan food and hosts cooking classes. Opened here Mar 2018. Open Wed-Fri 6:00am-8:00am, 11:00am-2:00pm, 6:00pm-8:30pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-10:00am, Sat 11:00am-3:00pm, 4:00pm-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-6:00pm. Closed Mon-Tues.

Categories: Vegan, American, International, Take-out only

First Review by ChrisHaxton

Ok - Edit

This is such a conveniently located spot for me; I just wish that they offered some quick takeout options throughout the day. I’ve eaten here twice but the amount of planning that goes into ordering and then waiting to see when the pick up time will be just doesn’t work for our busy family. I’ve had a few nonvegan coworkers think about trying it too but we’re turned off to the fact that they couldn’t just pop in and grab something.

Pros: All vegan, Food not bad

Personal Chef To-Go - Edit

Vegan Cooking Today seems to have the business model that anyone can have a personal vegan chef without the expense of actually hiring someone to come to your home and cook. A plethora of options are available, and food is cooked to order, to be ready at a specified time. As opposed to traditional take-out, VCT doesn't keep a lot of stuff ready to toss in a bag, it's cooked fresh for the customer.

In theory, this is a great idea. In practice ... it needs work. The menu is mind-boggling, but the food is never really astonishing. Better than mediocre but never quite hitting great. It may be simply that the owner/chef is trying to offer too many items while not truly perfecting any of them. The other big issue is that this is not a place for last-minute "too lazy to cook" take-out. You have to plan to order from VCT hours in advance, which somewhat defeats the purpose of take-out for many people.

I've ordered from VCT twice now and both times I've been surprised, both pleasantly and negatively. The chicken legs are good, but the sauce is inconsistent. Some items are nearly flavorless, while others are uncomfortably spicy. The menu doesn't really specify what is or is not spicy either, so unless you've ordered from them before you have to just take a risk. The owner told us you can specify levels of spicy on the order form, but if you don't know what is or is not supposed to be spicy, it seems rather moot. It also doesn't specify which type of vegan protein is in most dishes so unless you're comfortable with all varieties of meat substitutes (including mushrooms) be wary or call with questions.

I've tried two desserts. The banana coconut balls are tasty, but seem overpriced. The avocado chocolate mousse was ... weird. The flavor was quite good, but there were bits of something in it that I couldn't identify. It was almost like bits of cardboard, with a woody pulpy texture. I wound up eating it while spitting out a portion of each bite, unsure of whether my order was made improperly or if that texture was intentional - though I can't imagine anyone wanting that in chocolate mousse.

Honestly, I want to love this place. I want to support it and encourage others to give it a try, but I feel like I would always use the caveat that this is not the finest examples of vegan cooking out there, or even locally. It's not bad food overall, but if VCT is going for "Personal Chef" in model and pricing, they really need to up their game.

Pros: All vegan, Extensive menu, Made fresh

Cons: Kinda pricey, Inconsistent flavors, Must order well in advance

Vegancookingtoday 08 May 2018 - I am sorry you were not happy with your choices. Each person is different and we are trying to give options that are affordable.
Your comments are based on our opening weeks, getting things operational and I suggest you try our food again. I would offer this advice that you should not try to ruin a new business with your comments when you might have tried items not suited for your taste. We are putting more descriptions out there but using a menu service and it takes time to get those 200+ items in the system.

Yummy! - Edit

Had the BBQ Ribs, BBQ Chicken, Tofu Tacos. They were all amazing! Thank you Vegan Cooking Today for an awesome dinner. I loved how different the textures of the chicken and ribs were. Also while the tofu tacos were unexpectedly spicy they were fantastic (my younger son had to trade me for the chicken, which he liked quite a bit). For dessert we got the banana coconut balls, which were pretty good.

Vegancookingtoday 08 May 2018 - Glad you enjoyed the food!! See you soon

Return to Newport News Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Cooking Today closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.