33 Jialing, Wuhou District (at near Red Star Macalline), Chengdu, China,

Stylish buddhist decor. Very little Staff speak very little but are helpful. Lovely atmosphere. Private dining cubicles available for meetings and groups. Name in Chinese: 维根素食. address in Chinese: 武侯区佳灵路33号(近红星美凯龙). Open Mon-Sun 9:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by Bob Sultan

Best vegan restaurant in Chengdu! - Edit

My favorite vegan restaurant in Chengdu, hands down!

I’ve been here twice—it’s a little on the pricey side, so I save it for special occasions. You can completely stuff yourself (if that’s what you’re looking to do) for ~300RMB for two (or eat more moderately for less, haha). I went once for Valentine’s Day last year and once for my birthday this year.

The restaurant is truly beautiful. There are booths with curtains between them and mood lighting. The lobby area is spacious, gorgeous, and zen, and really puts you in the mood for a classy and delicious meal. The dishes themselves are ordered off an iPad menu with gorgeous photographs—as you scroll through, you really will want one of everything! It’s so hard to choose! The menu is very extensive, and everything I’ve had there except for one dish has been just incredibly good. (The other was fine, but not really my thing texturally.) Some of the dishes aren’t a great value for the price just due to small serving sizes, but mostly you get what you pay for. Truly great vegan interpretations of Chinese dishes.

Despite the fact that they’re named Vegan, they do actually have a couple non-vegan items on the menu. Some items contain milk, and maybe a few contain egg, too (I forget now). These things are labeled on the menu, iirc, but the menu is in Chinese.

The only downside is it’s hard to find. It’s kind of far out, outside Second Ring Road, and after you get off the subway or the bus, you’ll still have to walk a hot minute to find it. It’s almost hidden down what looks like an alley or a driveway next to a huge building that I believe is a home furnishings mall. There are signs, but if you’re not looking down that particular strip of asphalt you would miss it entirely.

Every time I eat at Vegan I leave a few hundred RMB poorer, but with a full and satisfied belly and heart. I can’t recommend this restaurant enough for your special occasions or your treat-yourself dinners.

Pros: amazing food, wonderful atmosphere, reasonable serving sizes

Cons: hard to find

very beautiful - Edit

it's nice to see such a stylish vegan restaurant that is even named vegan! amazing food

Pros: everything on the menu looks great with an iPad to

Cons: it was hard to find, basically the address take yo

fantastic place for a great dinner... - Edit

We had been there two times and the food was both times very delicious. The ambiente is very nice. It is a good place for a romantic dinner, or just to have a nice evening. The stuff can not speak english, but you can choose the dishes from pictures, so it is no big problem.
The have a large selection of delicious things in the menu.
The food looks really nice and taste great.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good service, creative dishes

Elegant and tasty, worth the trip - Edit

"Vegan" is a serene and pleasant oasis in the Wuhou district of Chengdu.

We brought a group of eight, so we got to sample a good variety of dishes from the epic menu, and none disappointed. Everything we had was balanced in flavor, well presented, and thankfully much less oily than the Sichuan norm. Even the devoted carnivores in our group much enjoyed the meal.

Service was gentle and sweet. We'd definitely recommend making the trip to "Vegan."

Pros: great ambience, extensive menu, tasty and less oily

Wonderful food - Zen ambiance - Edit

The name of the place is really just "Vegan" (at least the English name). The place is calm and very Zen. Nice temple music playing quietly. Menu is extensive and beautifully done. There is no English translation, but you should have no problem selecting from the pictures (you will only have difficulty choosing among the many excellent dishes. I chose a dish with a number of different vegetables with some vegetables sauteed and others lightly battered, with a sweet and spicy sauce. Although they food is Sichuan, they had a pretty light touch with the spice. I thought this dish was excellent... and other dishes I saw looked excellent. I don't think you could go wrong here. The portions are quite large (although they don't look so large in the pictures). I just ordered one dish and I couldn't finish it. The difficult part might be finding the place. It is about 100 meters south of the intersection of Jialing Road and Hongpailou Road, on Jialing Road. You will see a large Plumbing Fixtures showroom called "Macalline". On the left side of Macalline you will see an entryway to an underground garage. Walk on the street to the left of the garage entry. The garage entry does have a sign for the Vegan Restaurant in English. Walk to the end of this street and you will see the Vegan restaurant on your left. The restaurant is marked on Google maps, so if you print out the Google map, you should have no problem. Highly recommended.

Pros: gourmet quality food, beautiful and clean, peaceful ambiance

Cons: pricey for Chengdu

Return to Chengdu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.