Carleton University - Vegan Bar

1125 Colonel By Drive (at Residence Commons Bldg), Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1S 5B6

Residential cafeteria offering lunch and dinner. Many food stalls with one being exclusively vegan. Menu for the upcoming weeks can be found online. Cash payment option for non-residents. Open during school semester.

Category: Vegan, American, Canadian

First Review by HereHere

good campus food - Edit

My friend and I were at the Brewer's farmer's market on Sunday and decided to finally try out the "Vegan Cart" across the street at Carleton U.
We had a little difficulty finding the right cafeteria, so make sure to look at the Carleton U map before you go (it's actually fairly close to the O-Train stop, but not one of the nearest buildings). Actually, it was a fun adventure, given all the new development on campus. When you find the commons, you will see a Tim Horton's and think you are in the wrong place, but if you go to the 3rd floor, you will find the cafeteria. In there, the Vegan cart was not labelled as such. It would have been nice if there was a label system so you could tell what items were vegan, but we asked a food prep worker, and she happily escorted us to the station and explained that the salad bar is there on weekdays after 11am, but not on weekend (or perhaps it arrives after our dining session, as we were there for a late lunch). The 4 chafing dishes (hot mains) at the station held a different entree. It is self-serve and all-you-can eat. There was a Jambalaya with kidney beans and a lovely looking red rice, a sweet curry (not a dessert, as it was full of vegetables), lemon corn with herbs, and an unlabelled dish that I would call a mildly spicy Shephard's pie. Not sure if it was mashed turnip, parsnip, potatoes or a combination of the above, but it had quinoa in it, a few beans and overall very tasty. Neither of us could taste the lemon in the corn.
There was a salad bar, and the balsamic vinaigrette was medium-thick, which I liked. We were told it was vegan. There were two trays of greens, some chopped tomatoes, cauliflower, and broccoli to choose from. Also some toppings, like shredded carrot and sliced olives. There was some quinoa tabouli and a chickpea salad that looked vegan, but since we weren't told whether it might have honey or something dairy based in it, we did not sample it. A green dot would be helpful.For lacto-ovo-vegetarians it was probably suitable.
For beverages, I think there was some orange and apple juice, but there was also a corner with refrigerated soy milk and chocolate soy milk. For dessert, there was fruit in a couple of areas of the cafeteria. I wasn't sure how to wash the plums or peaches, so I stuck with other fruits.
All in all, the meal was filling, pleasant, and tasty. All my needs, as a vegan, were met. I'd encourage others to give it a try. It's a convenient place to dine when in the neighborhood.

Pros: 4 hot vegan dishes to mix & match from, filling (all you can eat) and convenient, all vegan needs can be met

Cons: vegan options not labelled as such

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Carleton University - Vegan Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2360 times since Sep 2013.