Vegabond Store and Cafe

Contact 0208468927

Leliegracht 16, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1015 DE

Vegan store with a small cafe area inside, est. Feb 2014. Cafe serves vegan sandwiches and wraps, hot and cold drinks, cakes, coffee, and raw chocolates. There is a small seating area overlooking the canal. Store sells vegan products varying from meat substitutes to candy bars to shampoo and moisturiser. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-6:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Take-out, Dutch

First Review by Amy1274

I will be back - Edit

I liked this little cafe and store a lot. There are good books, (many in English), on the shelves, and they have a good assortment of other vegan products that can sometimes be difficult to find. The cafe is small, with limited seating, but the food was delicious. I was informed, by the very nice woman behind the counter, that all of their vegan cheeses are made locally. I had a couple of sandwiches, with a couple of different varieties of cheeses, and they were delicious.

The best vegan brownie I've ever had - Edit

I popped into this shop for a vegan brownie and it was so good that I came back 2 more times for the vegan baked goods on offer during a long weekend in Amsterdam.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-07

Pros: Amazing vegan baked goods

super nice - Edit

The store is small, but they have a lot of vegan groceries. I've also tried some vegan treats they sell, and they were amazing! Definitely recommend to go for a cafe. The groceries are pretty expensive though.

Pros: Tasty food, nice staff, excellent location

Cons: expensive, small

Nice, but Expensive! - Edit

We ordered 2 sandwiches, 2 bottles of water and a share bag of crisps and were pretty stunned when it came close to €30! The bread was delicious, in fact the whole sandwich was, but a bit small for the price.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty

Cons: Expensive, Small Portions, Cafe was a bit like a green house to sit in

Awesome little store/lunchroom - Edit

Went there for a quick bite with a friend and had a smoothie which I will never forget! Can't remember what it was called but it was green and it tasted like heaven! Best smoothie I've had and I make smoothies every day. Had a wrap and another snack which were also very tasty and then finished up with an extremely tasteful brownie. Bought a vegan chilli sauce and left super happy. Would recommend to anyone!

Pros: Vegan, Tasty, Healthy

Cons: N/A

Vegabond - Edit

This place was really good, had the unique sandwich that is only made here. It was two slices of bread with a spread and topped with lettuce and tomato. Had the donut dessert that was covered in icing and the donut itself had sugar dipped on it. It's a cozy place with indoor and outdoor seating. Definitely going back again.

Pros: Other vegan supplies, Friendly staff

Cute little vegan shop/café - Edit

I dropped in to Vegabond for some lunch after a visit to the nearby Anne Frank House. Vegabond isn't huge, but there is a nice little café space at the front, with a big window offering a view of the canal and the passersby. The menu includes sandwiches, wraps, teas, coffees, smoothies and desserts such as brownies, cupcakes and doughnuts. The shop is quite small but has lots of vegan snacks and other items.

For lunch I had a vegan salami and spicy mayonaise sandwich with a lemonade. The sandwich was open-faced, on hearty wholegrain bread and was delicious. It comes topped with salad and sprouts, which made it a bit difficult to eat without a knife and fork! The service was friendly and there was free wifi, which as a tourist I always appreciate! The sandwich was about €6, which wasn't too pricey. I also bought two doughnuts to take away.

Pros: All vegan, varied selection, not too "healthy", ha, Friendly service, free wifi, nice views, location

Cosy cafe - Edit

Just stopped there for a hot drink and sweet treats. I loved the hot chocolate with whipped cream... it was the first time I had whipped cream since going vegan, what a treat! The cupcakes and energy balls were delicious too.

The store sells loads of interesting food and other useful vegan friendly things (like bamboo toothbrushes, soap etc.).

Pros: Vegan whipped cream , Cosy

Cons: Small sitting space

Nice location in downtown Amsterdam - Edit

We just bought some cake varieties (raw & non-raw) and we were quiet satisfied. The shop is small but offers everything what you are looking for...

Pros: Located almost downtown, Variety of desserts and shop products

Best salami sandwich - Edit

Centrally located, very friendly service, very tasty salami sandwich.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-14

Pros: Tasty food, Affordable, Also a supermarket

Cons: Very small, not suitable for a large group

Perfect location one-stop shop for vegan traveller - Edit

I had an amazing vegan and gluten free lunch here - open vegan cheese and pine nut sandwich with red juice. I was also able to pick up some groceries at the same time, including gluten free beer (you don't know how happy this makes me). This is a great place for vegan travellers in Amsterdam, making it super easy for us to grab something to eat and do our shopping and freeing up time for us to do some sight seeing. Really nice relaxed atmosphere too.

Pros: Gluten free menu, Great atmosphere, Lovely people

Très bien! - Edit

Je suis venue avec mes parents dans ce petit café chaleureux et accueillant sur les conseils d'une youtubeuse vegan (Mary de mantrasandmangos) et je n'ai pas été déçue au contraire!
Les filles qui tiennent ça sont vraiment très gentilles.
Tout est vegan, donc pas d'inquiétude! Il y a des brownies, cupcakes, des petites bouchées aux fruits dont la plupart sont "raw".
Je recommande vraiment cet endroit pour un petit goûter au bord des canaux!

Extremely small, yet nice location - Edit

Super small café with about 8-10 seats. Do not go if you just want to sit down and chill. Chances are close to zero that you will get a seat (even weekdays during daytime it is full).

Nice, small vegan shop with cool, unusual items (curry sauce with a recipe from Madras!)

Salesperson seems to be a little afraid of tattooed persons.

Nice location in city center, worth a walk from train station or red light district, very close to Anne Frank museum.

Energy balls, brownies & the like.

Pros: Nice location., Nice, little vegan shop., Nice sweet tidbits.

Cons: Very, very small space.

Nice vegan cafe in centre and vegan shop too - Edit

I absolutly loved the pistacio and rosé flavored cupcake, although I think the bonbons and cupcakes are quite expensive compared to other places.
I can't say anything about other dishes.
The vegan grocery shop is great, but also more expensive than the bio shops. They have nice vegan cheeses, chocolates and bars, and great linseed crackers. You can also find all sorts of other products.
Although I did notice they sell products past due date for 50% off which doesn't look good for consumption.
So just for the cupcake I would go back.

Pros: Delicious cupcakes , Centre of Amsterdam , Vegan grocery shop too

Cons: A bit expensive , Very small, hardly place to sit, Not all personnel are helpful

Glorious. - Edit

Although this is just a small shop with a cafe, it's well worth a visit. The staff were extremely kind and the food was absolutely beautiful. I had a couple of sandwiches and they were wonderful. Everyone needs to stop here while they're in Amsterdam.

Pros: Everything.

In the heart of Amsterdam - Edit

The Café is located in the beautiful city centre of Amsterdam.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They serve a variety of sandwiches, cupcakes, pralines, cakes, smoothies and other hot and cold beverages.
The place was very crowded by tourists and locals when I went there. Nevertheless the atmosphere is great and the food is delicious.
Half of the Café is used as shop, where they sell different vegan products such as alternatives to dairy products or cosmetics.
I would recommend meant you to sit at the big shop window which offers a great view. I suspect that you can also sit outside in the summer season as there is a huge bench in front of the café.
You can also take away most of the things and enjoy the food elsewhere.

Pros: cup cakes, variety of alternative s to dairy produc, location

Cons: few tables , no appropriate restroom, opening hours

Lot of variety in the store - Edit

Unfortunately we arrived almost at closing time, but we had time to eat some toasts and a cupcake, all of which were delicious. What really amazed me, though, was the huge variety of products that they sell at the shop, all kinds of snacks and meals and ingredients to prepare at home. Staff was also really nice, and the location is very central.

Nice - Edit

It is a small vegan cafe with some nice cupcakes and a good store. In fact, we came here for the store to buy vegan cheese (since there were none in Turkey at that time) and mayonnaise, but the seating place of the cafe looked cosy (although it is very small), so we tried some cupcakes there. Cupcakes were OK.

terrific sandwich! - Edit

I love this place. Yes the seating area is small, up up 9 people approximately, however you could get takeaway. The sandwich was terrific; cashew ricotta basil cheese with tomatoes on fresh bread. We had a coconut water and green juicing. The cupcakes and espresso were also great. The cafe staff are lovely as well. The cafe is part of the fantastic vegan store too.

Not tasty, horrible seating situation - Edit

The staff is nice, the food and drinks need to be tastier and the seating is horrible.
The sandwich I had tasted like nothing, the latte was just the same and even the wrap needed seasoning.
I was very dissapointed. The juice was good and pricey.
If you don't have the luck to get one of the two regular chairs, you have to sit at at low bench with an even lower table. Or even with no table. It is very hard to eat the food. Especially the sandwiches that are with loose topping which is easily falling of and quite likely to do so, because of the long way from the (maybe) table to your mouth.

Pros: good shop, good items, nice people

Cons: horrible seating situation, not enough chairs and tables, food and drinks not tasty or pricey

small and too expensive - Edit

the place is quite small, when we went there wasn't even one free table to we took a brownie and a cupcake to take away. the brownie was okay. The interior design was very classy and elegant.

Pros: very nice place

Cons: too small

a vegan livingroom - Edit

Came here on a quiet afternoon. I was pretty hungry, so ordered both a sandwich and a wrap. Both were delicious and filling. I have a pretty big appetite, but was full for the whole evening after both. Prices are very reasonable as well, I paid around 5 euros each for the wrap and sandwich.

The atmosphere is very homely, it's like having food in a big living room with all the staff having fun and chatting. Very enjoyable and relaxing.

Only downsides are that there's not that much variety in the menu. Something other than wraps or sandwiches would be nice. Also, the place is not that big so if it gets busy I can imagine it being crowded very fast. Still highly recommended though!

Pros: tasty food, friendly people, homely atmosphere

Cons: limited menu, not that much seating

Awesome experience! - Edit

This cafe is so cute and convenient! I got some groceries for my stay here in Amsterdam (bread, nut butter, soy yogurt, etc) and a take-away tempeh sandwich. The food is delicious and decently priced - and the vibe is fantastic. The woman working there also gave me her fave suggestions of vegan places in the city! DEFINITELY GO :)

Vegan Friendly! - Edit

Vegabond is like vegan heaven. They have all you can think of! I especially liked that they had:

- Oatly´s oat milk (Swedish, organic and really tasty).
- Cheese
- Textured soy
- Candy

Vegan In Amsterdam?
- Go there!

Pros: Vegan, Cafe, Shop

holy moly - Edit

Just get down here - all of the vegan delicious things you could ask for, with a store attached:))

Pros: friendly staff, insane brownie , coffee 7/10

Cons: attached store has too many wonderful things. I'm

Finally, a vegan refuge - Edit

As it was closed on Monday, my wife and I had to wait till Tuesday to visit the Vegabond Cafe and store. So for 24 hours we had to check other vegan options in town, and within these 24 hours we learned about macrobiotics, chakra and kharma, while all we were looking for was a down-to-earth vegan café with fine food and drinks for reasonable prices.
To make a long story short: We found what we had been looking for at Vegabond.

cozy place near Anne-Frank-House - Edit

We were a bit stressed, and were clearly in the need of a coffee, when we finally walk past this café/shop. There, we enjoyed delicious raw chocolate, hot chocolate, and the deeply needed coffee. The waitress was very nice, and we saw people stopping by for a freshly made sandwich, or even coffee to go. We sat at the window, looking into the gracht, and had a good time.
The shop provided lots of things I already knew from Germany or Great Britain, but I was able to explore unknown "hummus chips"--very tasty!
To put it in a nutshell, I will come back. :)
The entire shop/café is fully vegan!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 31, 2015

Pros: quiet, cozy, friendly staff

Cons: none

That tofu scramble tho - Edit

I love this place, and can't wait to try their other sandwiches and more of their cupcakes. I had the tofu scramble sandwich and a vanilla cupcake and both were delicious. Also ordered a small peanut smoothie which was very good but real small (but also pretty filling).

The shop they have is nice, but a bit pricey. Although the nooch they sell is not too expensive for dutch standards and has added B12 thank god, a lot of the stuff looked a bit overpriced but it's an all vegan place and it's pretty rare, even in Amsterdam.

Pros: CUPCAKES, Friendly staff, Has a shop

Cons: Not a lot of seating space

Good but expected more - Edit

Vegabond is a good store offering a good lunch menu but the size of the store surprised me. I didn't have any meals at Vegabond but did try the bliss balls they sold and that was quite nice. Would definitely want to go back again to try more of their products.

Pros: Fully vegan

Lovely place - Edit

This cafe/store is located near Anne Frank's house and it's easy to find. My husband and I ordered one sandwich and one wrap that were absolutely delicious and well presented. We tried a ginger beer (not contains alcohol) and it's very good. The only thing that should be improved is the cupcake: it's heavy...But, we liked the place and we'll come back soon. It worth it!

Pros: Lovely, cosy place, Very good atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: a bit expensive

A must! - Edit

What a beautiful little place owned and run by two beautiful souls. I was delighted to find this place as I'd been struggling to find vegan friendly places in other countries whilst travelling with non vegans! I was on a mission to break away and find this place so I could stock up on snacks for travel & to try the cheese! The cheese sandwich did not disappoint!! It was so good I was questioning whether or not it was actually vegan! I also grabbed a smoothie and a carrot cake. My sandwich was made almost as soon as I'd ordered it and I hadn't even paid yet. There's a large variety of vegan food for purchase. You have to make sure a visit to Vegabond is on your list of things to do if you are in Amsterdam. It's easy to find, has wonderful decor, the food is fresh and the prices are reasonable. It won't disappoint. I still dream about that meal.

Pros: service, variety, price

Cons: none

Wow! - Edit

This is such a great find! A fantastic selection of vegan goodies and food to eat in. Will return asap. Truly lovely staff, angels in fact!

Pros: Wide selection of items, Friendly staff, Good location & good value

Fantasic shop/cafe - Edit

I found Vegabond here on HappyCow and was very impressed when I visited.
The shop has a wide range of products from chocolates to mock meats, cheeses, tinned foods, they have everything you could think of. I found it interesting to see and buy products that aren't available to me in the UK or that I can easily source.
We tried the wraps from the café and they were amazing, very flavourful and filling. I just wish I had a restaurant/shop like Vegabond close to me!

Pros: Wide range of products, Clean, well set out store , Delicious food

Cons: cafe could be a little bigger/ more seat

Disappointed - Edit

The sandwich was so small, more small than my hand, and it cost me like 5 euros. I was very disappointed because the place was nice, and it was my first vegan place I went in Amsterdam. I saw the "cows stars" of Happy Cow outside too, so I was waiting to eat something better.
The sandwich was so home-made, I could did it better. The juice was little too.
I am not critizing just because I want, it is only because a lot of not vegan people could go to there and we have to show them that food is tasty, and good. And if I go with someone it is not vegan, he is going to laugh in my face because of the food of Vegabond.
If you are on diet, you must go ;)

Updated from previous review on Friday January 02, 2015

Pros: Good located, Store, Nice place

Cons: Food, VERY small and not tasty, Moderate prices, My chair was very unconfortable

The name's Bond - Vega Bond - Edit

Nice spot with canal views in the picturesque Jordaan. A great place for a vegan cake and coffee or chai latte. They sell a small selection of freshly made hand-made sandwiches and light vegan sweet or savoury snacks. The seating area is colourfully vibrant and there's a very well stocked shop area at the back with a superb fridge & freezer section. The cupcakes are a good option here and the coffee is pretty special. Very friendly staff, you may even get a free sample if you come at the right time.

Pros: location, friendly

Cons: limited menu

Nice Cafe - Good food and loved the shop! - Edit

I went here with my partner in December 2014. We both ordered sandwiches and they were prepared fresh and we both found them delicious.
Before leaving, we raided the store and I bought loads of vegan snacks and treats. They have a lot of choice and you find everything a vegans heart may desire, Tofu, chocolate and stuff like vegan mayonnaise and vegan Parmesan for example.

The interior was also very nice, but the space could be used much more efficiently. They have small benches on either side with little tables, and it's ok if you are alone or only 2, but as a group it is absolutely not ideal.
They could fit a few small tables inside there easily and more people could spend time there at the same time... instead of that, the middle of the room is full of plants and product presentations from the shop. It's a pity.

Anyway, food is nice and I can recommend this cafe to anyone.

Pros: Good sandwiches, Vegan shop inside, Friendly staff

Cons: as a group, seating not ideal

Fast, inexpensive, and tasty - Edit

The store is very pleasing to the eye, light and open. The seating area is small but comfortable enough for a quick bite. The menu is very simple: Coffee, tea, smoothies, wraps, sandwiches, breads and cakes, and some nice sweets. They have soy, almond, and macadamia nut milk for coffee and tea. Everything is vegan. The store carries vitamin supplements as well.

Pros: Inexpensive, Good for a quick bite, Clean and friendly

Cons: Not suited for a long meal

cute and yummy place - Edit

Lovely spot in front of a canal, well decorated, bright, very nice owners.
My boyfriend and I went here for lunch and we had delicious wraps, with coconut water from the grocery ( the place is a grocery with a small area to eat homemade snacks ). Then we couldn't resist to try some sweets and we had a fabulous chocolate brownie and a carrot cake, both gluten free !
Everything is vegan and they had also energy balls, banana bread, sandwichs... we must go back !

Pros: cute, bright spot, lovely owners, delicious wraps and gluten free cakes

Lovely place to come by - Edit

We were looking for a vegan-friendly place to eat during a short trip to Amsterdam. Luckily, HappyCow showed us Vegabond, only a few steps away.
The menu is small but diversified, the dishes were very delicious and not too pricey. Also, Vegabond offers a large selection of vegan sweets and other products - many of them well known brands like Vantastic Foods - at a very decent price.
We were lucky to come by, and we will definitely come back!

Pros: Yummy food, Decent prices, Friendly owner

Lovely Vegan Cafe - Edit

Great location on the canal is this vegan cafe. Delicious cakes, desserts, chocolate, wraps and and sandwiches. Simple relaxing decor and friendly staff. A lovely place to chill, watch the world go by sipping on a spiced tea or chai latte and snacking on some delicious healthy vegan treat....

Pros: Location by canal, Delicious vegan treats

Great vegan café! - Edit

This café joined with the veg-store is a great idea! The menu does not seem huge (two sandwiches, one wrap and some desserts) but in fact, they adapt their sandwiches to the wish of the customer. You choose the bread (white or whole) and what you want inside: hummus, vegan salami, vegan cheese, scrambled tofu... and vegetables. They are good and freshly done in front of you. Their wrap with smoked tempeh are also really good. As a dessert, you have a choice between different cupcakes (raspberry, pistachio and rose, chocolate, pecans, etc.), brownies or ice creams. All vegan: amazing!

The sitting place is small but nice with a peaceful view on the canal. The staff is efficient and really friendly and food is inexpensive.

I loved that experience.

Pros: excellent food from sandwich to dessert, friendly staff, nice vibe and atmosphere, inexpensive, view on the canal

Cons: small seating area

Tasty food, great location - Edit

I enjoyed sitting by the window, eating a seedy bun with avocado, scrambled tofu and spinach (€4,95). For later, I took away a cupcake (€2,50) and a vegan cheese and onion on open-face bun (€1,50). Very good prices.
Small seating area.

Pros: good food, many vegan items, window seating

Cons: only a few small, low tables available

Fully-vegan lunch - Edit

This is a fairly new vegan cafe which opened in February 2014, at the same location as the Vegabond vegetarian shop. The cafe serves hot and cold drinks including smoothies, wraps, soups, sandwiches, cakes and raw chocolates - everything is completely vegan. The sandwiches are made on the premises and the cakes and chocolates are supplied by local businesses. The seating ares has nice colourful decor and a nice view of the canal; alternatively take-away is an option. The staff are really friendly too :)

Pros: fully vegan, friendly staff, location

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegabond Store and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 16377 times since Jul 2014.