Vega

Contact 22-3535400

Aleja Jana Pawla II 36c, Warsaw, Poland, 01-410

Vegetarian turned all-vegan as of Mar 2016. Simple cafeteria like place with plenty of seating. Offers an array of dishes, many with Indian influence, plus has cakes. Might be ISKON/Hare Krishna affiliated. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, International, Buffet, Salad bar, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Suesie

Polish milky bar with Indian tastes - Edit

It is a typical milky bar (that means home food at very reduced price!) with a lot of options, mainly indian ones, but have some soups, salads, potatoes, etc. A plate full of food costs about 15-20 zl. It serves also desserts for about 10 zl.

It is not easy to find this place, it is located in the back of the buildings, and can frighten a bit, but once you enter, you realise it is the best vegan option in Warsaw.

Earlier was vegetarian, now it is FULLY VEGAN, although it says "Dania wegetarianskie (Vegetarian meals)" on its logo.

Pros: cheap, homemade

Cons: none!

Inexpensive and average - Edit

I had some and Indian stew at this cafeteria-style restaurant. I like that this place is very inexpensive, but the food is certainly not mind-blowing.

Pros: cheap

Cons: average food

slow delivery - Edit

Here is my own experience. I called them for ordering in take away. When a member of the staff realised i was speaking in english he hung up the phone. Then i tried 3 times more and i could not reach anyone.My lovely polish girlfriend called with her number 10 mn later and finally could made our order. An hour after, we got delivered. Surpringly because at that time we were living in Jana Pawla street too. Probably 1 km max from the restorant.

Comfort Food - Edit

While not listed on the ISKCON site (http://iskcon.org/) I'm fairly certain this is linked to the local Krishna movement. I've been to about 50 Krishna-linked restaurants (commonly "Govinda") around the world and the food is certainly what I would expect. It's a pick-your mains and sides place. There are posted plate combinations (main, soup, salad?) on the wall...in Polish. I just chose what I wanted and they quoted a reasonable price. Plant-based food. Comforting. I'm sure I'll go again.

Pros: Tasty and reasonably healthy, Not heavily seasoned

Cons: Cafeteria atmosphere, Not heavily seasoned

Hearty and remarkably inexpensive - Edit

If we didn't know to be looking out for Vega, and saw a sign on the street, we would have walked right past the narrow alleyway that leads to a courtyard with Vega and a few other buildings. Vega is cafeteria style with a wide range of options, favoring Indian cuisine. The choice of cooked vegetables and salads is very wide. As an added bonus, they have brown rice, which was not something we saw a lot of in Poland, and buckwheat. The second time we were there, however, they were out of the buckwheat. The food is hearty, well-prepared and noticeably inexpensive. Vega is in an area with several other veg options, including the wonderful Vege Miasto, which is just a few blocks away and a Loving Hut, which is practically across the street. If I had to choose one, I'd go to Vege Miasto first, but, if you have time to take in several places, Vega is worth a trip.

Pros: Location: Jana Pawla, a major street, Many choices

Cons: A little challenge for English speakers

Veggie quality milk bar - Edit

Vega is a very interesting canteen, featuring polish classics with an Indian twist.

There's plenty to chose from, from potato and chickpea stews, different types of burgers/vegetable croquettes
and salads, which you are free to combine according to your cravings.

Most of the savoury items are vegan (not always marked but the friendly staff will inform you), some desserts are vegan too.

The portions are generous and the food is home-made style. Very healthy, tasty, quick and cheap option for both lunch and dinner.

Great food! - Edit

A really nice place if you're looking for something tasty and inexpensive in the centre. Canteen-like, definitely not posh, but really friendly. And the food is just yummy!

Fresh, ready to go food, there's always a choice of 3-4 main and side dishes. I'd recommend it to those who are fond of Indian cuisine, as they seem to be inspired by this kind of taste. You can eat at one of the long tables or take the food away, but you have to pay to have it packed (as usually in Poland...)

One little snag - the place's a little hard to find, tucked-away behind other buildings.

Pros: quality of food, price, good vibe, far from snobbish

Cons: location (a bit hard to find)

Basically Impressive - Edit

A great place for a cheap but filling vegetarian / vegan fix. The food is ready to go, you just pick a main meal and decide what salad or side dishes you want to go with it and away you go to the cafeteria style seating area. Water is free and once you are finished please place the used dishes and cutlery in collection area. Can't really say much more than that. The food is Polish orientated with plenty of potatoes, beetroot and cabbage but it's tasty and fresh. Back in the early 2000's this was essentially the best Warsaw had to offer us vegetarians but now it's a totally different story as Poland has learned to embrace these strange people. I remember coming here and thinking, oh well if this is all that Warsaw can give us then that's fine, it will have to do. How things have changed since then! I wouldn't necessarily make a beeline for Vega again but it's reassuring that it's still there and doing well. It's a bit tricky to find the first time as it's actually behind the main street of Jana Pawla II on the block that you would expect to find it on.

Pros: cheap, reliable, friendly

Cons: basic, location

Relaxed and new choices - Edit

This is a good place. I like the array of choices. The company does lots of chairty work. Does use some dairy. I like the combo of some indian and european food :) Sometimes hard to figure out price since its in buffet form but you pay for things sepretley sometimes but not too expensive at all.

nice! - Edit

VERY cheap (has student discount) and friendly place! You mix your own vegan (or vegetarian) plate, with good help from the staff. I personally like food with more taste and fat/protein..but otherwise great.

Absolutely delish! * * * * * - Edit

Great food, friendly staff, huge variety of mostly vegan dishes. Very affordable. Warsaw is a desert veg*n-wise, but this place is a gem. Recommended by a local; look behind the 'Femina' cinema.

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive, Central location

Cons: Hard to think of any.

Great place for lunch - Edit

Vega is a really good value place to have lunch while in Warsaw. It has a canteen feel and is friendly and with a good variety of things to eat. It is vegetarian but the staff are happy to point out the many vegan options. I've been there several times while in Warsaw and recommend stopping by if you want a filling meal.

Pros: Value, Food, Central Location

Cons: A little hard to find, Not open in the evenings

The Best we've found in Poland! - Edit

While staying in Warsaw for a week, we ate at Vega about 4 times after discovering it. The food is inexpensive and delicious, and fully vegetarian - which is not easy to find in Poland. The menu doesn't change much, but there is a good variety of dishes. On our second visit to Warsaw we tried a few other vegetarian places, but Vega still got our vote for the best.

Pros: great food, real, health, tasty vegetarian food, friendly staff who speak English

Return to Warsaw Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vega closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4199 times since Mar 2011.