CLOSED: Vega Fair Food

+47-47921212

Akersgata 74, Oslo, Norway, 0180

Features all-you-can-eat buffet which include hot foods, soup, bread. Has organic coffee, non alcohol bar, fairtrade chocolate, organic cakes and bread made by its bkery. Gluten-free options. Entrance at Kurbadet, Thor Olsens gate. SHUT DOWN EARLY-2015. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-7:00pm, Fri 11:00am-4:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Bakery, European

First Review by liverpoolzinho

Just ok - Edit

We ate here on our first night in Oslo mainly because it was walking distance from our hotel and still open. It's in an odd building- I would probably had trouble finding it had I not researched how to get there first. As we arrived, the lady serving sat chatting to a friend whilst we waited to be served and when she did finally serve us she was not much of a people person it's fair to say. The good itself was good but not loads of options. The atmosphere was ok but if I was in Oslo again- I wouldn't go back.

Good food in central Oslo - Edit

When I'm in Oslo, Vega is the place where I go for dinner. The atmosphere in the restaurant is cozy, although it has a bit of a cafeteria feel to it. The staff who works there also seems a bit annoyed and tired from time to time.

I've had some pretty good falafel and hummus there. They also usually have some kind of vegetable stew, with rice.

The food is really good, and there are a lot of vegan options - often, all the food is vegan, except from the butter they put out for the bread. Food that contains milk or gluten are marked with big yellow signs at the buffet. They also have vegan and gluten free cakes, and they serve non-alcoholic beer, sodas, juices and coconut water. It's also quite cheap(for Oslo), 135kr for all you can eat.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 03, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday January 03, 2014

Pros: good food, vegan options, quite cheap

Cons: staff seems not-so-friendly at times

Home style cooking - Edit

My non vegetarian husband and I ( life vegetarian for 56 years, can I please point out ) ate here twice on our recent Oslo visit. The first time was on a Sunday and yes, I understand why there are comments on here about the surroundings. It is not a restaurant but the place is clean and the staff helped us understand how the place operates. Sunday we did the buffet and there was a big choice of cold raw food ( hummus, sweetcorn, cucumber, leaves etc are just a few of the items I recall ) and hot food - pasta bake, and some very nice potato wedges.
The second time we went there was a tofu and veggie curry on offer - yes, not the spiciest but they are mass catering. It had real veg in there - actual cauliflower and carrots, not frozen, and was tasty, with rice and poppadums. For 100 kr each, it was such good value - we went to an Indian restaurant in Oslo and had a starter each, main course each, mango lassi and 2 small bottles of water and although it was nice, no way was it worth 700kr. Thanks Vega for being open on Sundays and evenings, we were able to eat well in Oslo. I think you have to remember you are not at home and that food is different around the world - methods of cooking and flavours may not be what you are used to.

Pros: Very reasonably priced, Fresh food used, Good opening hours

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT - Edit

Located in a very unappealing building which makes it undesirable to go there. And I wish they would make gluten free and sugar free sweets, and perhaps some raw food. I do not only care about animal welfare, I am interested in my own health as well, and on top of that I like the food and surrpundings to look a little fancy :)Call me demanding, but that`s the good honest truth.
But it`s cheap and vegan. Ok place to go for a quick bite on a weekday (unless you are gluten intolerant)

How to cure someone from going vegan. - Edit

Been here once, and sorry, but the food was SHIT!
No taste, weird texture, and it looked filthy.
The tables was dirty, the floor was sticky, and I felt like I had eaten a "second hand McDonalds meal".

The salad bar was poor.

My BF reaction "This is the LAST time I go to a vegan place!!!"

Cons: Horrible food, Dirty tables, Greasy food

Tasty - Edit

Tasty food, limited buffet, mostly vegan, otherwise labelled "lacto-ovo". They have several vegan desserts, though all cake -- which I don't like.

Anybody else notice "vegan" is a redundant form of "vegetarian"? Eggs and dairy should never have been included in "vegetarian".

Pros: tasty food, calm, fairly enlightened atmosphere, not too hard to find

Cons: in an office building, not expensive but could be cheaper

Often good food - Edit

I have been to Vega many times over the last two year and I am usually very satisfied with the food. However, they recently re-introduced milk porducts without adequate labelling. I was very disappointed with the change.

Pros: tasty , choice

Cons: service, non vegan food

Fair - Edit

The "Vega Fair food" restaurant is situated within and old, 19th century bathhouse which is worth a visit just because of the paintings and decorations in the hall and the corridors of the building. The restaurant itself gives more of an old-fashioned cafeteria feeling.

They have a daily menu but I missed that when I was there, so I only had the buffet which was all-you-can eat and not expensive (considering Oslo price level). Most options were vegan, not labelled, but the staff helped me out. The food had probably been in its containers for some time - there were not too many people around when I was there, and the food was more warm than hot - but it was ok and I got a good balanced mix on my plate. Nothing fancy, though.

For a dessert I had an apple cake (not included in the buffet price) which was a bit salty, quite weird but I hope this was a one-off.

As others mentioned, vegetarians and vegans do not have too many choices when they want to visit a restaurant in Oslo. It is about time that Oslo gets a modern veggie restaurant with a variety of freshly made organic food. If that happens, places like "Vega Fair Food" could get into trouble. But for now it is one of the few places to go to.

Pros: location, lots of vegan options, inexpensive, interesting building

Cons: food is not always freshly made, could do more with spices

Take-away - Edit

Huge take-away box. The had a great Indian dish with tofu, the hummus was delicious, and so was the cabbage/chick pea dishes even though they didn't look like much.

Cons: Not all vegan

great food, but out of price - Edit

The food is nice but it is a simply , not very clean place. It also actually cost 35 krona more (135) after busy hours when it's empty and some of the food is bit old

Pros: great variety , buffet!

Cons: pricy

Carbs galore - Edit

As other reviewers have noted, Oslo is very expensive so the idea of an all-you-can-eat buffet is a promising thing. My partner and I went for dinner. When we got there, the salad bar was pretty much empty and wasn't refilled when we were there. The available veggies were crisp though and the hummus was good. There was only one label indicating a dish had gluten. I had to ask the server to explain which dishes were vegan. The hot vegan food consisted of white rice, TVP chilli, stir fried white rice with veggies, and white noodles with veggies and seitan. For vegetarians there was also pizza with cheese. The food was fine but nothing to write home about. The main problem was the lack of veggies and way too many simple carbohydrates for my tastes. I'd recommend this place if you don't want to spend too much money and want to ensure that you don't leave hungry.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, inexpensive, laid back

Cons: not very healthy, vegan items not labeled, plain atmosphere

Just what I was looking for! - Edit

Oslo is an expensive place, but for a fair price you can eat as much as you want from this absolutely delicious buffet. The salad bar was perhaps a little bit simple, but the soup and the warm dishes were brilliant! They had both vegetarian and vegan choices, and always had little signs up to warm you about milk products and so on. The chefs seemed really nice and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed and a bit like a canteen, but not in a bad way. So perhaps it's not the most romantic of places, with service at the tables and candles everywhere, but I still loved my hour there. Had my little daughter with me, and they had baby chairs and lots of space. My lord that cauliflower says was darn good and creamy, I still dream about it to this day!
So yes, definitely worth a visit I would say!

Pros: delicious food for a fair price, a wide range of spices, a relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not so romantic, slightly simple salad bar

great place - Edit

We had an amazing buffet for very good price there. The buffet had soja and seitan and seemed to be vegan frendly.
The place also has a nice garden outside.

Pros: great menu, cheap, nice location

Simple tasty food - Edit

Simple food, cheap prices (100 kroner for lunch) and you can eat as much as you want.

Great if you're super hungry and also if you're in a hurry as there's no waiting time for the food to come out!

I think great food if you find yourself out and about and in need of a good vegetarian meal but not sure it's somewhere i'd make a special occassion of visiting.

Pros: cheap, quick, tasty

Cons: not so much atmosphere

fantastic gem in Oslo - Edit

Found Vega while looking for another vegetarian restaurant. After looking 30 minutes, we went back to Vega shortly after it opened for the day. We are so glad we did! The food was really yummy and the concept was good. We enjoyed most of the dishes on the buffet. The chutney is top notch! In an expensive food city like Oslo, it is great to find a reasonably priced place that hits the mark!

Pros: friendly staff, good food, awesome concept

Meh. - Edit

The place has a cafeteria kind of atmosphere, even if it's suppose to be a restaurant. It's neither cozy or fancy. It lacks charm.
The staff is awful, they are not attentive at all and it looks almost like something/someone took the life out of them.

You can get a lot of food for a very good price though!
- Salad buffet with awesome hummus, soup of the day, bread, fresh juice, a warm buffet with usually rice, cooked veggies, and either some veggie burgers, pizza, lasagna or some Indian dish. Sometimes they also have papadum
And you get free refill :)

Personally I think the food here is not that good. The only really good thing they have is the Hummus and the sweet mango chutney. The veggies are usually over cooked and dripping with oil.

Pros: A lot of food for a cheap price, Awesome hummus!

Cons: Staff is terrible, Food not that great, Crappy atmosphere

very good place - Edit

For us it was a remedy. Choice is nice, we liked the atmosphere too. My husband ate a lot of fried potatoes, and I liked salads, soup and rice with vegetables. For me it's the best result the owners could reach using such a little prices. Prices are flexible and that was very nice. We used refills all the time and once having found this place we understood we don't need anything else.

Pros: plain and tasty, cheap!

Cons: staff could be more clients-oriented, but ok

Diverse food choice - Edit

Excellent food quality. Extremely broad set of fresh vegetables and salads available. Can be good to visit for vegans/raw folks yet there are no lakto-ovo food products served. Good vegan pastry is available for buying and taking away too.

Pros: large menu, fresh food quality

Cons: not very tidy inside, no labels on some items

Return to Oslo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vega Fair Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.