First Review by imogenmichel

Bullying, power hungry admins and a load of contradiction...this group has it all - Edit

I've been vegan for 5 years and this was the first vegan group that I was a member of. From the get go, I was sent a message trying to discourage me from joining and telling me if I am looking for vegan places in Glasgow/Edinburgh to go elsewhere (bizarre). They also asked me a few questions. Strange interrogation like message, but I managed to 'pass' and get onto the group...

The group is controlled by admin who have became so power hungry that they do not let you discuss anything they do not agree with (which can be important discussions at the start of your vegan journey!) and cannot see how much they contradict themselves on a daily basis. They slaughter places for not being fully vegan (going on about how cruel and unethical meat/dairy/egg industries are) yet happily post pictures on their social media pages of their Starbucks and McDonalds 'vegan options'...real ethical choice there guys, well done. When you follow this group and the people that run it for a while, you start to notice 4 or 5 names that always pop up in arguments. These same people band together on different social media platforms and bully/harass people that say something they don't agree with/have opposing opinions on certain things or have made a mistake which involves veganism - some of the most vicious bullying I have seen on the internet has stemmed from that group and the instigator tends to be one of the admin!

Say the word 'plant-based' and you will have a stream of people screaming at you that veganism isn't about health...even if you think it's about a combination of animals, health, the environment and social issues - it's not for them so be prepared for some abuse.

Veganism is such an ethical and kind choice to make in life so I don't know how the people that run this group are so vile and nasty, I rarely see them make positive comments.

If you are interested in veganism in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Scotland - please look elsewhere. This group is now a running joke amongst a lot of vegans in Scotland and will only put you off becoming vegan. It will be a backwards step in your vegan journey, trust me.

Pros: You get to leave

Cons: Bullying, Harrasment, Disagree with them and they will tear you apart

The clique - Edit

This was the first and last vegan facebook group I was part of. I have seen members bullied for having different beliefs, ganged up on, publicly humiliated - and worst of all the admin tends to be the ringleader of it all. She seems to think of herself as some sort of vegan celebrity that can go about policing others. I don't know what the worst part about it is, her or her lapdogs that will defend her and blow things out of proportion just so they can feel part of a clique.

I would like to say it's a great place for new vegans to know about vegan places around them, but honestly you'd be better off just using your own private social media pages to research these things rather than having to see the daily vegan drama. If you have only just swayed to veganism, I honestly think it could potentially be enough to turn you off altogether. And that's sad.

From word policing to shaming SMALL local businesses for minor mistakes, this group lacks the kind of compassion you would expect from those making such ethical life decisions elsewhere.

Although the other reviews here are 5 star, I know I am not alone in finding the group deeply negative and full of bullies or people who moan about absolutely everything. Any time someone brings this group up in person, there is always a brief silence followed by a giggle because everyone knows how ridiculously drama filled it is.

Avoid.

Pros: They are vegan

Cons: unfriendly

Great group online and in person - Edit

VEG is a great Facebook page for discussion about vegan issues and stuff coming up in the central belt of Scotland, plus they organise regular events such as potlucks and vegan drinks nights.

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VEG - Vegan Edinburgh Glasgow closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.