Veg

• Veg-friendly
Contact 941-312-6424

2164 Gulf Gate Dr (at S Tamiami Trail), Sarasota, Florida, USA, 34232

Serves meat, vegan options available. All veg except for fish. Family-run restaurant in the Gulf Gate area. Has vegan options and gluten-free. With a separate vegan menu. All soups are vegan except for the matzoh balls.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Eliza13

Delightful find near Siesta Key - Edit

Found this gem on HappyCow and decided to stop in for a quick lunch before hitting the beach. There were only a couple patrons in the restaurant, so we were seated and served quickly. We both had the portobello burger wrap. I am vegan and our server helpfully suggested using Veganaise to substitute the pesto aioli that came in the wrap. It was a nice substitute! Also tried the key lime and avocado "cheese"cake for dessert. It was delicious!! It had some kind of yummy nut crust, maybe walnuts?!?! Perfect portion to be shared. I would love to go back to this restaurant for dinner to try the portobello volcano entree.

Pros: Delicious food, Wide variety menu for vegetarians/vegans, Cute atmosphere

Cons: Wish they served dinner all day

Excellent - Edit

Loved the Vegan Portabello Volcano; the option for "small bites" from the desert menu was great for a single diner, and the Chevre Chocolate Mint Cheesecake was divine. Would happily return should I pass through Sarasota again.

Pros: Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Reasonably Priced

VEG - NO MEAT ON PREMISES!!! EVER!!! - Edit

Happy Cow's description of VEG is very inaccurate. There is no meat or poultry on the premise at any time, EVER! My family and I have been eating at VEG for almost 4 years. They go to extensive lengths to serve local fresh ingredients. The chefs cook with passion and take great pride in making sure your dietary needs or concerns are met if possible.

Anyone having specific dietary requirements can call them ahead of time and they will do their best to accommodate your needs.

Ask for Candy to be your server she was great.

OMG it is sooooo delicious.

Pros: everything made from scratch, fast and friendly without being rushed, Unique dishes

Cons: only 1 location, can be a bit noisy because small

Yum, yum, YUM - Edit

The vegan menu at this place rocks! At last there's some variety on a vegan menu at a place that serves non-vegan food too. Apps, dinners, desserts galore! It's creative, tasty, healthy, flavorful...everything is so fresh and nicely prepared. Veg is a very small place that fills up fast, but it's worth going! The food is just amazing, and the chef is such a nice guy. I wish I could eat the whole menu!

Pros: Awesome food, Nice staff, Variety

Cons: Very small space

Fantastic! - Edit

I really liked that veg has a vegan, raw, and vegetarian menu. Even though I am vegan, my husband is not which makes going out to eat difficult. I ordered the chick-un club which was amazing aside from the fruit that came with it, which was the only side option. I will definitely be going back

A wonderful vegan experience... - Edit

We like Veg a lot. It's small and a reservation was needed. The service was polite and friendly.

We had the Vegan Thai tacos as an appetizer along with a couple of entrees and shared a dessert. Everything was exceptional. I would have given it 5 stars except 4 is the maximum allowed for a non-vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Quality Vegan dishes, Friendly service, Reasonable prices

Cons: They were "out" of one thing we ordered

Good vegan option - Edit

Veg has great vegan and even raw options. Their salads are complex and satisfying. We had a raw cashew cheesecake dessert that was excellent. Our entire meal was raw, but there were plenty of cooked vegan options on the menu. The only drawback is that the place is so small, you have to make reservations well ahead of time.

Pros: Lots of raw options, Plenty of vegan dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: Crowded, noisy, difficult to get into

a local gem - Edit

This is one restaurant that I totally trust to use organic, fresh vegetables and to ensure a quality product. I love this little place. The family takes great pride in bringing you an excellent experience and I have never been disappointed. I believe all of their dishes are wonderful and if you're vegetarian or vegan or need gluton-free, this is the place to go. Delicious food, great service, & high quality.

Pros: reasonably priced, delicious, quality-assured

Subpar Vegan Food - Edit

I went here a couple of years back when they first opened and was unimpressed then. I recently decided to give it a try again, hoping they improved. I mean, they are still open. The place was packed, we had to wait to be seated, and service was prompt when finally sat. So far so good. The appetizer we ordered was quite good. Warm pita with creamy smooth hummus, 'mama' ghanouj, olives, and quinoa tabbouleh. We thought they've improved leaps and bounds, then the mains came. The veggies of the day,which accompanied each plate, were steamed 'baby' carrots, and asparagus. I'm pretty sure the carrots went from a bag into hot water. It was not very impressive presentation or preparation. I had the tempeh risotto, which was not risotto at all. It was cooked brown and wild rice tossed in a 'risotto' sauce. My partner ordered the cauliflower steak, which was a par-cooked head of cauliflower, flattened then roasted or pan fried, on a bed of brown rice with a marinara topping. It was nice that it was simple ingredients, but not too inventive for being called a 'steak.'

You'd be better off going to chipotle or something. At least it's cheap and semi-tasty.

Pros: good starters, vegan menu

Cons: cost, presentation

Quaint and Classy! - Edit

Went to Veg restuarant in Sarasota with my mom (non vegetarian). I am 100% vegan.

The atmosphere is cozy but also classy and well decorated.Not as hippie-like as I've seen many vegan places. Tables were adorned with fresh flowers.

The food was amazing! I had the Tomato Pesto Tofu Sandwhich with a side of fresh friut. Awesome meal! Also had a side of pita and hummas. My mom had a fish sandwhich(sorry I don't pay attention if it's not vegan) and she loved hers as well! Good wine and lemon drink.

Service was very good as well and I got vegan fudge and coconut pudding for dessert. Amazing, both! Yum.

Will be back here again for sure.

Pros: Tasty Vegan Food, Great service, Nice atmosphere

Excellent Meal & Lovely Service - Edit

What a delightful restaurant to find. I am both vegan and gluten-free, which adds a special challenge -- Veg is most definitely up to that challenge. They mark their gluten-free and vegan items, and are super helpful about it all. I got the cauliflower steak, which was such a unique dish and very tasty. I've never had cauliflower prepared that way (roasted until it melts in your mouth) and with marinara sauce - a winning dish. Because they serve seafood, my entire family was willing to come here, too, and everyone was happy.

Pros: Food, Service, Intimate atmosphere

best veg meals in sarasota - Edit

Veg has great vegan dishes - I loved the Tempeh Risotto, the Tofu Salad, and the Mushroom Leek Soup. Went back twice in the same week!
Not a vegetarian restaurant, they also serve a lot of fish. But the vegan food is very clean & fresh, and the restaurant does smell fishy. The food is simple and delicious. I could eat here all the time!
The family-run staff is wonderfully friendly, helpful and conscientious.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff

Great Food - Edit

I just got take out from Veg and it was as good as everyone said. [edit by staff - see tos]. Everything was of the highest quality and full of flavor. I went early and there were already quite a few people there. It's a small restaurant with a small bar, but has a pleasant atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Cons: small, understaffed

Return to Sarasota Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3849 times since Mar 2010.