Veg Kitchen

Contact 03-58178165

3-44-8 Taito, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan,

Specializing in South Indian food (like dosas) but also serves a range of North Indian and Indian-Chinese dishes. Vegans should ask what contains dairy. Small space with 2nd-floor dining. Allows smoking at dinner. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Indo-Chinese

First Review by HiraHalal

Desperately seeking food! - Edit

After spending a couple of hours chasing up other veg listed eateries, I finally found the veg kitchen. Hint: the door slides, not hinges...
OK, once in, the welcome was warm and friendly and in English. The food suggestions were good and the food was wonderful. My sprouted salad was divine, followed by a mild curry and drinks. All the time, water was replenished. Overall, a good food place. Recommended.

Pros: Veggie only, no meat

Cons: Took a while to get there from my lodgings, but t

Fairly good. - Edit

All in all, pretty good. The menu is fairly broad, and they have both north and south indian food. They offer five daily curry choices, with a mix of vegan and vegetarian. The prices are reasonable and the food itself is generally delicious.

The staff is fairly friendly from my experience, and as might be expected, English is no problem...the menus are in English and the staff can generally speak it. The one exception was the daily curry list on the blackboard, which seems to be Japanese-only, but that info is easy to get directly from the staff (including what is vegan or vegetarian).

The atmosphere isn't great, but there's nothing really wrong with it...just the usual basic type one encounters in most small Indian restaurants in Japan. However, it is worth noting that it is not quite as nice as the nearby Veg Herb Saga's new locale. The food is also generally a bit better at VHS (again, after their recent move). But, Veg Kitchen still gets the nod for better service (it tends to be a bit more consistent and pleasant experience, here at VK), and the dinner menu is less expensive here also. A good overall choice for vegan curry.

(Updated from previous review on Thursday July 23, 2015: only to properly reference VHS' new locale.)

Pros: Mix of south and north indian menu items, Good, reasonably-priced vegan curries, Pleasant service

Good authentic food - Edit

The restaurant is quite small so it might get a bit crowded on the weekends, but my friend and I didn't have to wait to get a table. The waiter was very nice and when I told him I was vegan he let me know the option in the lunch menu they had for vegans (the rest is vegetarian). The food was delicious, not the best indian food I've had, but for the price of the menu (1250¥) it was more than acceptable. If I happen to be around Ueno I will definitely be back again.

Pros: delicious food and nice portions, lunch menu and good prices

Cons: small sitting area

Friendly staffe; good food - Edit

The food was excellent and on par with Indian food from India. It has a wide selection of food and the staff will likely cater to all dietary restrictions. Reasonably priced as well and service is prompt.

Pros: good portion size, reasonably priced

Cons: small size

Service! Service! Service! - Edit

definitely not one of the biggest places I've eaten although it's definitely worth going to! absolutely tons of vegan options and the staff speak fluent English which is awesome! they're very reassuring that everything is Vegan and they want nothing more than to know you're having the best experience you can while you're there!
The food was great and definitely what I needed after searching for nice vegan food in Japan for days

Pros: absolutely loads of vegan options with markers to

Cons: just not fit for large groups

Great Birthday Meal in Tokyo - Edit

I went here with some friends for my birthday. The staff were so friendly and made us feel really welcome, they spoke English, Japanese and Hindi. I'm a vegan and they were able to point out tons of vegan options on the menu, there was also a sign saying that vegans were well catered for. My Omnivore friends and I ordered entirely vegan dishes and had an absolute feast. Great food, great value. They have easy to use free WiFi as well. We had a great night, I would definitely go back again if I had the chance.

right up my alley - Edit

Tastiest Indian I've had (IMO). Super friendly and helpful staff, I mentioned vegan and they knew straight away and talked me through the menu :) I went on a Sunday and it was open, much to my relief ☺️

Very simple, but very nice - Edit

Enjoyed it! Do not expect anything fancy, thou.

Pros: Really friendly staff, English Menu, Good Food!

Cons: A little expense, but hey, it is Tokyo after all, Staff somerimes a little confused, but no big deal

Tasty indian food! - Edit

Great Indian restaurant with many vegan options. Staff is very helpful (plus Japanese with Indian accent is so kawaii ^^).
The food I ordered was spicy, but very tasty.
I you happen to be near Ueno you should definitely try this place!

Pros: helpful staff, tasty food, big portions for a reasonable price

wonderful Indian restaurant - Edit

The only real "problem" with Indian restaurants in Tokyo is that there are so many delicious, authentic ones that I can't fit them all into my rotation! Veg Kitchen is another regular spot for me. As another reviewer mentioned, it would be really nice if Veg Kitchen had opened up in another part of town away from Vege Herb Saga but both places have their pros and cons so I'll continue to visit both. Veg Kitchen has quite an extensive menu and a pleasant interior. My first time, I had the masala paneer dosa, the veg biriyani, and a Hyderabadi baigan (eggplant) curry. On another visit, I had some veg kebabs with dried fruit in them and some homemade almond ice cream. The dosa, Hyderabadi curry, almond ice cream, and veg kebabs were phenomenal. The rice dishes were good although for those, I prefer Vege Herb Saga's.
On my first visit, the restaurant was busy but my food came out quickly. The second time, my friend and I were the only customers and it took an hour to receive our food so I'm not sure what was going on there.
Chefs are happy to prepare meals for vegans, Jains, Oriental vegetarians (no onions/garlic), etc. so please don't hesitate to ask. Free Wifi available. Overall a highly recommended restaurant.

Pros: large variety, reasonable prices, friendly, helpful staff

Cons: food on the salty side, sometimes slow, another part of town would be better

Great Indian Food with Friendly Owner - Edit

This restaurant is owned and run by a former chef from Veggie Herb Saga. When I heard he was opening his own restaurant I hoped it would be a large, posh restaurant in another area of Tokyo, so that the two South Indian vegetarian restaurants would complement each other. So I was a bit disappointed that he opened it a few minutes walk away, essentially competing for the same Jain (or other Indian) clientele. Of course this probably won't concern the Tokyo customer, but since they're so close I might as well compare and contrast them.

On the positive, the Veg Kitchen is much more comfortable, being a first and second floor instead of a cramped basement. It has more staff, and food comes out faster. And you're guaranteed your own seat with the party you brought (a good or a bad thing depending on what you want, as many of my most interesting conversations with strangers in Tokyo have been at Veggie Herb Saga). Staff are equally friendly and welcoming at both.

As the first reviewer pointed out, the owner is careful to explain what's vegan, however it's necessary to ask and make sure, whereas vegan items are labelled on the menu at Veggie Herb Saga.

Where Veggie Herb Saga wins hands down is on the quality of the food. I found my only Chinese dish at the Veg Kitchen oily and salty, and even the dosa and curries were a little on the over-done side, but still fine and delicious. So it's very good, and would be a life saver anywhere else in Japan than up the road from Veggie Herb Saga.

My theory is that because Veggie Herb Saga order fresh spices from India, which they roast themselves (I've seen it) their food is probably the best I've had anywhere (including India). I think the Veg Kitchen uses standard curry powders/mixes (like virtually everywhere else) so just doesn't compare for taste, but it's still a very pleasant place to enjoy a delicious South Indian meal.

Prices are fairly similar, but the Veggie Kitchen has a wider range, including Chinese Indian dishes. It's also sometimes open on Sunday, and may have more reliable hours (but it's too early to say since it hasn't been open long).

Of course I visited soon after the Veg Kitchen opened, and the quality of their food may improve with time and eventually reach VHS. But for now Veggie Herb Saga has the best food hands down, and the Veg Kitchen wins on venue. I hope both restaurants will do well and keep serving up South Indian veg food!

Pros: vegan-friendly, friendly staff, pleasant interior

Cons: food not as good as nearby Veggie HS.

all vegetarian. awesome service - Edit

This has so far been the best restaurant I've visited in my two weeks in Tokyo! Not just because of the food, but because of the service. This restaurant is vegetarian but the friend dining with us was vegan. The owner went out of the way to make a couple of dishes without using milk (customizing dishes is a very RARE treat in Japan). I am definitely visiting again. Well worth the trip, and decent pricing too!

Pros: service, chai, food

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.