Veg Bar

• ( 72 reviews )

Plant-based restaurant opened in 2017. Serves vegan burgers, bowls, fried snacks, in a social atmosphere. Mar 2021 reported that honey mustard sauce is vegan. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion, Australian

First Review by Brit_in_nature

dothehamsa

Points +209

09 Oct 2021

It ain't pleasantville

Two disparate principles – wellness vs junk. Any trendy vegan establishment faces the challenge of incorporating these two elements of Aussie vegan cuisine. They've done a great job here! Get a turmeric latte and a veggie bowl, or a burger and a shake, it's all delicious.
Now, how do you design a restaurant interior that will reflect the cutting edge of vegan culture? Concrete floor, neon fixtures, bare light bulbs dangling like kangaroo nuts. Strip away any traces of comfort and charm, and you have a modern vegan diner yasss!
You could never take a date here or even your mother; the atmosphere is so oppressively insta-ready. But the food is good and the waitresses were very nice and helpful.

Pros: All vegan, Reasonable prices

CFletcher

Points +51

16 Sep 2021

100% vegan!

Best plant based eatery I've been to so far! My omni mum absolutely loved her mexicali bowl, and I looooved my soul sister. Definitely try the Mac and cheese croquettes - and please keep them on the menu for next time I visit Veg Bar!

Pros: EVERYTHING is vegan!, So many options, Super friendly staff!

sanji02

Points +29

14 Sep 2021

100% plant based menu!

We had the Classic and kfc burger with caramel and oreo milkshakes. It was all really tasty :)

olivegriffin

Points +221

24 Jul 2021

Amazing vegan options

Such a great place! So much to choose from! I loooove their jackfruit especially

cbugg

Points +30

29 Jun 2021

Always my first stop!

Every time I visit Hobart, I make sure to come to Veg Bar first. Amazing burgers, sides, bowls, smoothies and super friendly staff. The fit out is pretty cool too! I always crave the food from here when I’m back at home. It’s definitely a must visit!

JamesAA

Points +20

02 Jun 2021

Top notch!

Designed for dining fun this place is has the cocktails, fluro highlights and is 100% plant based

Pros: All vegan, Food was so tasty

Cons: Can't think of any

Aeachus

Points +34

24 Apr 2021

Amazing vegan food in Hobart!

We were seriously surprised to find such a great quality vegan place in Hobart. The Massaman Curry and Jackfruit burger were SO tastey. Large servings too. We also tried the cauliflower wings and they were, hands down, the best we've ever had. The dipping sauces were perfect. Highly recommended!

Pros: Lots of different options. , Good prices., Delicious.

MelBlack

Points +124

07 Apr 2021

Good food

Decent Vegan eats! Lots of different burgers,cauli wings,nachos think pub food. Good value, fast service.

Pros: Good menu , Reasonably priced , Good atmosphere

Cons: Soap in bathrooms - wasnt vegan

HappyBun

Points +555

12 Mar 2021

Raising the Veg Bar.

A great lunch and dinner option, serving fully vegan, western-style dishes. Staff have also been really friendly, and accomodating to my special requests and substitutions.

Pros: Western style dishes., Great service & atmosphere., 100% vegan.

Cons: A bit expensive.

Maddi

Points +112

17 Feb 2021

All vegan, licensed and lots of fun.

This restaurant is all vegan and licensed with a good cocktail menu.
Fun burger-style food. Enjoyed it a lot.

staywildveganchild

Points +585

18 Jan 2021

Delish!

Loved Veg Bar. Went back twice during my stay in Hobart. Had the kimchi burger, cheeseburger and buffalo cauliflower wings. Amazing place! Wish I had room for dessert though!

Pros: Vegan heaven , Super cute tshirts for sale, Dessert!

TheVeganTravelShow

Points +932

08 Jan 2021

Burger & Fries were lacking

So overpriced, but let's start on a positive.

The CAULIFLOWER WINGS are on point, no issue there. The sauce appeared to be a watered down tobasco & the white sauce it came with was akin to tartaire. Good combination and worth the price.

The KFC BURGER comprised of oversized bun, filled with a slither of fried crumbed Tofu, a tiny dollop of sauce, some rough cut iceburg lettuce and a pinch of Kimchi. Completely unimpressive from the first bite til the last.

Ordered a side of FRIES with GARLIC AIOLI. The aioli was nice but the fries were so underdone and oily. Seriously, how do you stuff up thin French Fries? Something wrong with the deep fryer heating element perhaps. It wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination.

Try making sure the oil is hot enough to Fry the fries, not just soak them and just add salt.

The LOADED FRIES with sweet potato was airy. The sauce combination could be better and I'd like the option to add toppings like diced jalepino or a Cashew cheese. The pulled jack fruit on top however was divine.

Good decor, good music, good service, lots of seating & friendly staff.

Pros: Vegan food, Large indoor seating area , Good service

Cons: As above, the burger left me wanting, as did the fries.

Chrjs

Points +127

14 Apr 2020

Plant-based heaven

Everything is vegan and you have a lot of different options to choose like cheesy burger, curry or bowls. You can also order for take away. Staff is very helpful and friendly.

Pros: a lot of vegan options, great variety of food, good drinks

HeatherScott

Points +18

02 Mar 2020

Veg Bar Hobart

Friendly staff ready to help you as soon as you arrive. Food is fresh and served quickly when we were there for lunch. The burger rolls are fresh and seem home made as they are quite different. Atmosphere is querky with neon sign saying 'eat your veg' on the wall and somewhat industrial style seating decor. Servings aren't huge but you pay for something a bit different. Make sure your juice is made fresh not packaged!

Pros: Lots of vegan options.

Cons: Parking could be hard to find.

Ntvegan

Points +16

15 Feb 2020

Time for change

Well you certainly left a lasting impression... my family and I are half way to Launceston and still talking about your food. Unfortunately it is not positive. We started with a round of coffees which tasted burnt and weak. Staff were not accommodating with requests for minor changes to meals. We found the food to be basic and tasteless. The Cheeseburger patty I could not even eat, The consistency of the patty was mush. Others on the table ordered the Southern Fried Cauli burger and the Classic Burger, the colour of the buns looked fantastic however were very doughy. Pretty disappointed especially after seeing how amazing the food looks on your Instagram page. With Vegan food coming so far in recent times and Veg Bar being so established I really feel you need to step up the game and make some changes to your menu.

Pros: Great location , Great variety of food

Cons: Poor quality food

Tiggy

Points +10144

15 Jan 2020

A bit mixed

We came here for dinner on a weekend. I liked the interior, with its neon and interesting seating. I was a bit shocked when I saw how expensive the mains were but ended up ordering the Mee Goreng ($23) and sharing a jug of Gin Fizz ($35). The cocktail was delicious and refreshing and I liked everything about it, from the elderflower liqueur to the rosemary sprigs. When the noodles arrived, however, I could not believe how f*cking minute they were. They were actually quite nice (if a little sweet) but even if I’d been paying $7 less than I did the price would’ve been unacceptable for the portion. Despite this I went on to share the apple and blueberry crumble ($12), which was delicious, except for the ‘raspberry dust’ sprinkled all over it, which risked turning it from a classy dessert into a children’s lolly.

Pros: Very nice cocktail, Delicious fruit crumble , Nice interior

Cons: F*cking minute and overpriced noodle dish, Raspberry dust like a children’s sweet

Sabbyy

Points +225

10 Jan 2020

100% vegan goodness!

I've been here soo many times since going vegan. The atmosphere is chill, the staff are lovely and I have only had good experiences with the food. I bring my omni friends and family here and they also enjoy it.

Vegbar also have a variety of gluten free dishes / dishes that can be made gluten free.

Pros: 100% all vegan food

Cons: no pictures on the menu , Cow's milk is an option for drinks

Mikah

Points +70

08 Jan 2020

Beyond delicious

Amazing vegan food! Delicious with heaps of choices- something for everyone. The 'fish' and chips was hella good as was the burgers. The lemon cheesecake was to die for! Great value for money.

Pros: Great range of choices , Happy and helpful staff, Kids menu

froshsta

Points +85

Vegetarian
30 Dec 2019

Excellent food and huge varied menu

Went to this place two consecutive nights. Would have happily gone back several more nights, but we're only in Hobart for a short visit. Fantastic menu, something for everyone. Also has a kids menu - our daughter loved the Spaghetti Bolognese (and so did us parents when we tasted it!). The Greek Gyros I had on the first night was super delicious.

Pros: Excellent food, Varied menu, Kid friendly

charlottematilda

Points +24

27 Dec 2019

Great food and cool atmosphere

Such a cool place to have a drink and something to eat. Had the gyro wrap and would highly recommend! Also grabbed some sweets and they where delicious. Will definitely be back when I’m in Hobart next.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Cool atmosphere , Reasonably priced

JB574

Points +193

11 Dec 2019

Twice in two days!

Had such an amazing dinner that I had to come back again the next night.

Pros: Amazing service, great atmosphere and cool music, Totally awesome menu and so delicious , Great size serves and well priced

jkl83

Points +42

11 Nov 2019

Great range of food

Best gyro ever. Great service. Love the place.

Pros: Friendly staff, Loads of options , Delicious

dsanti

Points +905

13 Oct 2019

Fantastic vegan food

Good portion sizes, reasonable prices, delicious food. Loads of variety and options, all vegan. GF and NF easily catered for.

LittleTofuBite

Points +18

09 Oct 2019

My favourite restaurant

Great place for a vegan meal. Been here with my Carno family, they picked on it a bit but they seemed to enjoy! I’d 10/10 recommend, great example of vegan food for Carnos/Pescis.

Pros: Great variety, Delicious smoothies, Hearty meals

Cons: Smallish area do not too god for large groups

PeteDavis

Points +52

27 Sep 2019

Best vegan food in Hobart!

Came here because it was the only 100% vegan restaurant in Hobart at the time; super impressed by the quality and freshness of all the food. The turmeric latte was also fantastic 👌

Pros: Delicious!

Cons: Too much to choose; you leave feeling sickly full

Guest

07 Jul 2019

Best in Hobart

This place is amazing! The food is delicious and fresh. Prices reasonable.
Desserts are the standout.
Recommend the banana split, lemon cheesecake, massaman curry and the roast veg bowl.

StephanieTreble

Points +89

11 Jun 2019

Good, but struggle when busy

Large variety on the menu and lots of seating inside. The first time we came was around 5pm and very quiet, so meals arrived quite quickly. We had the buffalo cauliflower, nacho bowl and a kimchi rice, which were all very tasty.
The second time we went around 6pm on a weekend and it was very busy, short wait to get a table which was good. However despite only ordering burgers and fries we waited a long time for our meals and watched 2 other tables who ordered after us get served first. The burgers weren’t as good as their main meal options.
Glad they don’t use plastic straws but they need to invest in either a better quality paper straw or steel straws, as the paper ones they currently have go to pulp when trying to drink a thick smoothie

Pros: All vegan, Good variety , Main meals are tasty

Cons: Burgers aren’t great, Long wait when busy

Return to North Hobart Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.