Veg 6

Contact +852-27591368

Shop A, 1/F, Top View Mansion, 10 Canal Rd W, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

六和素食, at 銅鑼灣堅拿道西10號冠景樓1樓A舖 opened Oct 2015. Nearest MTR station Causeway Bay Exit A. Uses cheese in some dishes. Mock meat contains egg and/or dairy. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese

First Review by Stevie

Veg 6 - Edit

Good value for money, most dishes are between $40-$55. There is very good choice for vegetarians but less choice for vegans but I didn't have a problem finding enough food. There is quite a lot of mock meat but also vegetable and tofu dishes. They mark dishes containing eggs and milk on the menu, although when I ordered dishes without egg or milk the waiter still asked me if I eat eggs and he said he will tell the chef so I'm not sure if he was just trying to be extra helpful or if they add egg or milk products to some of the 'vegan' dishes.

I had the fried dumplings and aubergine with Japanese soy sauce which also had some kind of fake fish flakes on it.

The atmosphere was good, very busy even though it was after 9pm and seemed clean. Service was ok.

Pros: Good value, Clean

Cons: Mainly vegetarian, some vegan dishes, Lots of fake meat/fish but still had other options

Good Veggie Food ! Happy time ! - Edit

I visited Veg 6 few time since opening and again last weekend for lunch with my family after doing sports at SCAA in CWB.

My boys like the veggie sushi, especially the avocado crispy roller very much. The combination of avocado, alfalfa sprouts and crunchy flakes make a surprisingly good taste. I strongly recommend this dish for appetizer. Taiwan style steam bun with veggie roasted pork is also delicious and healthy.

We also ordered sweet and sour veggie pork, deep-fried tofu in wondrous sauce, which were recommended by the restaurant manager Jacky. The veggie pork tastes very meaty! I was told that it is made of Monkey Head mushroom, not processed mock meat. The deep-fried tofu is crispy outside but soft inside. Just love it.

Overall speaking, it's a very nice veggie restaurant in terms of food quality and the environment. Spacious nice design and clean !!!!

They have quite a big menu, so I will definitely visit again to try more dishes.

Eric

Veg 6, Hong Kong - Edit

I am updating this review. The issue highlighted below now appears to have been addressed by Sharon and her colleagues at the restaurant.

They purport to use lacto vegetarian cheese (Arla specifically).

I'll do another visit in future at some point. If appropriate I'll amend this review.

Updated from previous review on Monday November 09, 2015

The menu mislabels dishes. There's a ton of dishes with mock meat that don't have an egg nor milk sign next to them. Yet on my Cantonese speaking co-diner discussing with the manager, the mock meats aren't free of egg nor dairy.

If eating egg / milk isn't an issue for you expect to see a menu that is heavily dominated by mock meat dishes.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 06, 2016

5 Responses

Stevie Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Either myself or someone else in the team will drop in to take a look at your revised menu.

Just to be clear. My primary concern here is dishes being labelled as non egg / non dairy when in fact they do contain egg and / or dairy. Such mislabelling:-

* gives the impression of a low level of rigour of vegetarian awareness. If dish suitability labelling can't be trusted, what else can be trusted in a restaurant? Mislabelling completely undermines credibility. You may find this useful for other pitfalls:-

* could be interpreted as disrespectful to the philosophical values of the customer

* is a health risk to customers with food allergies and intolerances

Restaurants profiting from false advertising is never welcomed by customers.

How much mock meat you sell is up to you as the decision of anything you do or don't sell.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards, Stevie

Stevie Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your time this evening when I dropped in. To summarise our conversation:-

* The Veg 6 menu in fact has not so far been updated. The menu is still the same as when I visited in early November
* You have advised that you will now target having the menu updated to correctly label the dishes that contain egg and / or milk products within 2 days. 2 days from when we spoke this evening means this should be completed by 10 pm HK time on Thursday this week
* After I asked this evening, you advised that you were unaware of this recurring pitfall of vegetarianism:-

If you have not been purchasing cheese that is specifically labelled as vegetarian that more than very likely means the cheese you use is made with slaughtered animal rennet. If that indeed proves to be the case then that means your restaurant is not currently a vegetarian restaurant.

To add to the above. If I may constructively suggest you and Martin take a look at this for other pitfalls to watch out for:-

That webpage links to some very informative fact sheets.

I look forward to seeing you or Martin nearer the end of the week.

Regards, Stevie

VegSix Dear Stevie,

I was informed by my restaurant staff that your good self and/or your representative had visited our restaurant recently while I was not around. I hope you have had a look of our updated menu. All dishes that contain egg and/or dairy product are now with correct labelling.

Morever, I am aware that you have posted a new comment on Happcow.net summarising the discussion we had the other night when you came. I am writing to respond to your comment.

1) The Veg 6 menu in fact has been updated on 10 Dec 2015. All dishes are now with correct labelling of food that contains egg or dairy product.

2) Veg 6 is fully aware of the rennet issue in cheese. Our restaurant only uses Mozzarella cheese manufactured with microbial rennet which is vegetarian appropriate (we use Arla Mozzarella)

We kept a photcopy of Arla Mozzarella label from the packaging at the cashier counter just in case you asked to have a look. Veg 6 takes things seriously and we pick ingredients carefully. We serve 100% vegetarian food to our customers.

Moreover, we DO NOT sell any beer or wine or alcoholic drink. Please correct it in our restaurant introduction. Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further question.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Kind regards,

Sharon

Veg 6 Vegetarian Restaurant

Stevie Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your reply. In response:-

* I visited your restaurant on Friday 11th Dec. Martin showed me a menu. It had not been updated. He quickly put that menu down and then showed me a 2nd menu. The 2nd menu had been updated. This begs the question as to how many of your menus have not been updated?

* I visited your restaurant again on Sunday 20th Dec with Carrie Chan. Carrie asked Martin a question on a dish that contained mock meat that wasn't indicated as containing either egg nor dairy. The question was whether or not the dish did indeed contain egg or dairy. Martin replied that it depended on what mock meat was delivered that week. Martin's reply thus makes clear that despite labelling on the menu indicating the dish is egg / dairy free, there will be occasions when the dish will in fact contain egg or dairy. I am sure you can see why I feel that is an unimpressive response. Once again it seems disrespectful to the philosophical values of your target audience. Martin then made it clear he didn't have time for our questions and left our presence.

* Thank you for your reply re Arla cheese & microbial rennet. It is encouraging that you have now embraced cheese that is indeed vegetarian. Thank you for responding positively to this point

* I have submitted a happycow request that the reference to beer / wine is removed. I have no idea how that came to be in the listing. Please accept our apologies for that error.

As per previous reply I enthusiastically recommend that you and your team go through this:-

This links to various very informative fact sheets on possible vegetarian pitfalls. If you have any questions related to any of this or anything else, feel free to ask.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg 6 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 761 times since Oct 2015.