First Review by Gosiaradosia

There is no pizza in the menu! (summer menu) - Edit

The staff was very kind, but the food was good, not great. The home brewed beer is worth trying out

Pros: beer, staff, pretty interior and nicely prepared food

Cons: weird smell inside

Disappointing - Edit

I went to Vaust Braugaststätte because it was recommended to me by a friend. Since the place has got good reviews I had high expectations.

The waiter recommended a dish to me that, according to him, was one of the most popular ones, so I went for it: a soy-based roulade filled with green asparagus and vegan cheese, served with a vegetable-prosecco-sauce, and potatoes plus snow peas on the side. I was really excited for the dish, but was almost shocked to see that for ca. 15€ the portion was really, really small. However, to my further disappointment the dish wasn‘t anything special: The soy roulade didn’t have any particular taste nor distinctive seasoning, the filling (green asparagus) was very little and the vegan cheese tasted like nothing. The additional sauce was barely enough for the roulades but not for the potatoes and snow peas which both tasted like they were without any spices at all.

After the really disappointing main dish I was still hungry and craving for some more food, so I ordered a chocolate cake which came with cream and a physalis. The cake was pretty ok, it was with chocolate cream on top of it – for my taste a bit too much chocolate, too sweet in the end - some nuts or fruits inside or a different topping to balance the sweetness would have been nice.

Unfortunately I went from there unsatisfied, having spend around 20€. The service was friendly though and the interior lovely. I won't come again though.

Pros: Nice interior, Friendly service

Cons: Small portions, too pricey, Tasteless main dish

real restaurant, good atmosphere - Edit

excellent food in a 'real' restaurant. self-brewed beer. very friendly staff. located in 'old' (not hip) part of town ('western' berlin). several bus/subway stops close by. beautiful interieur.

Pros: very friendly staff, beautiful interieur, 'real' restaurant, garlic-free food available

nothing special - Edit

Had currywurst for starters which was really good! Had pasta for mains which was slightly disappointing. Small portion, not many vegetables, not very tasty.
Chocolate cake for desert which was pretty good, a bit on the dry side but the fudge topping compensated that very well.
Very traditional German atmosphere, which is actually quite nice. Would rate 3,5 starts if half start were possible.

Pros: currywurst!, a place you could take your parents to

Cons: small portions

Awesome - Edit

got here on a Thursday night at 2030 and closed. gutted.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 31, 2016
Battled on the next night and so glad I did. Looks.like inwas there the same night as another cow lover, they obviously did not have the special.
Started a bot awkward as realised there was bugger all onnthr.menu for my wee one. No worries as the staff went out their way to.make her a sausage. And roast potatoes, a winner which was rewarded in the tip.
My better half went for a frankfurter tagliatelle which was creamy and pretty tasty. I got lucky with the special, a seitan ravioli with a chard and kale layer underneath. A really strong tasting ravioli, with an even stronger chard and kale sauce, but both full of flavour and worked perfectly togatrt. Absolutely magic.
Also have to say tried both their own brewed beers which was my food down a treat.

Cons: Staff, Tasty, Innovative

Such Luck! - Edit

I lucked out and found myself staying two blocks away for work. I would've traveled much further for this delicious meal! Root veg stew, pumpkin and pear stuffed ravioli, rice pudding with blueberries, and a beer from their own brewery. This was an exceptional meal!

Pros: gorgeous space, sweet staff, clean and quiet

My favourite place in Berlin - Edit

My sister and I chose to enjoy a "fancier" meal one evening in December and decided to go for the microbrewery vegan restaurant. It was truly a great meal: quiche for her, vegan bratlinge for me, along with a delicious artisanal dark beer. Some of the best vegan food I've had in these past three years and a chance to eat veganised German food. Strongly recommended.

Fine Vegan Dining - Edit

I regret not leaving enough time for Vaust, gf and I only stayed for a main and drink.
The place is totally vegan and feels fancy yet welcoming. It was a pleasant change from the many punk and hipster places around Berlin.
Dress up nice, take your time and enjoy the full menu.

Pros: Very Friendly , Nice neighborhood , Great drinks too

lekker! - Edit

really great place! I booked this for a romantic date with my wife and it did no disappoint! Amazing vegan german fine dining style! Many gluten free options, including a gluten free alcohol free beer! Highly recommended!

Pros: vegan german cuisine, home made beer, gluten free options

Cons: location, small - so book a table, wait staff a bit casual

P h a n t a s t i c ... - Edit

... no other word can describe it

A absolute must when in Berlin and looking for fine food, wine and beer.

They have seasonal menus and a daily menu on the chalk board. It is a small restaurant and I think it is wise to reserve a table in the evening or it was because of Christmas looming that all tables were booked. As I was there early I could sit on one of the reserved tables for my dinner for almost 1.5 hrs.

I have to say that I have probably never eaten anything like that, and I mean that in a good way. So much subtle flavour and interesting combination of ingredients ... the chef must really love his/her job.

I had Sauerkraut-Tofu-Waldpilz Bratlinge mit Kartoffel-Roestzwiebel Püree mit Dunkler Bier-Malz-Mango-Ingwer Soße. And the homebrewed Vaust Dunkel. Dunkler Schokoladenkuchen mit cremiger Ganache and a Cafe Latte.

Worth every cent.

Pros: friendly & attentive staff, delicious food

best meal in a week and best beer too - Edit

I was in Berlin for a scientific congress for 5 days and have tried a different vegan/vegatarian/veg-friendly restaurant every day. When I entered I had a bit of an upset stomach, so I ordered a light meal, the filled pumpkin ravioli with hokkaido-pear-chili-mousse, chili-strands, pumpkin seeds parmesan and caramelized pieces
of pear. This was a really wonderful dish, full of subtle flavours. The locally brewed dark beer was also delicious with a rich and fresh taste. I decided to postpone my stomach ache and order a desert: the Black Forest tart served in glass with Kahlúa-espuma and chocolate flakes. Also delicious. When I return to Berlin I will definitely visit again.

Pros: great vegan food, friendly staff, fast service

так себе - Edit

Были один раз, весьма посредственно. Чечевицу пересолили, веганская котлета невкусная. 45 евро отдали и ушли с ощущением, что поели второсортную еду. Наверное просто не повезло, но возвращаться не хочется.

Just Fabulous - Edit

We arrived in Berlin on Thursday and chose Vaust as it was the closest to our hotel on Happy Cow.
We are both vegans and are careful what we eat, this restaurant was just so lovely.
The food is not fake meat, and the beer is their own brew.
If you want a relaxed meal with a grown up easy atmosphere and great food, then choose Vaust.
We liked it so much, we booked it again the next night when our friends came to Berlin.
Very reasonably priced for such a nice restaurant.

Pros: lovely food, , great beer, , helpful staff

Wonderful! - Edit

This was our first time staying in Charlottenburg...usually we're in Kreuzberg/Neukölln. It was interesting to explore the more well-behaved side of Berlin, which took us to this wonderful restaurant! The food was excellent and the service very friendly. When they heard us speaking a bit of English mixed in with German, they asked if an English menu was needed. We each ordered the mock duck, which came in an orange sauce and a side of mashed potato/not sure what else(probably celery root judging from the taste) that was topped with a bit of pesto and greens. It was really delicious. We also had the Dunkelbier, which was also very good. What I really like about this place is that the feeling is comfortable and cozy, and the food is like a traditional home-cooked meal with a gourmet touch. We went on a Thursday night and didn't need a reservation, but one might be needed on Friday or Saturday night.

Pros: Organic, seasonal food, Traditional German dishes, Comfortable, relaxed atmosphere

nice vegan restaurant - Edit

also we are in berlin, there are not too many restaurants vegetarian or vegan. this one is ONE of them!

the menu is overseeable - the beer interesting and the food patchy.
we had three dishes - the seitan very good but without vegetables :-(,
the quiches too dry....
and the ravioli ok.
salads great! the chocolate cake wonderful!

the service a little bit too slow but ok.

also at this restaurant i am not sure if the food is organic or regional, but at least vegan!

go for it.

Pros: nice dishes, good accessible

Cons: service might be more attentive

Real insider's tip! :) - Edit

The Vaust Braugaststätte is our favourite restaurant in Berlin. It is a real insider’s tip. You can reach it very easy, because it is near the S-Bahn Station Savignyplatz. The comfortable ahmosphere invite the guests to stay. In the summer you can also sit outside. The homebrewed beer is delicious. Here you get two sorts of homebrewed beer: pilsener and dark beer. They also offer delicious homemade lemonades depending on what fruits seasonal growing. The staff is very friendly and can give you advice in vegan questions. You will of course get an English menu as needed. The menu changes with the seasons except for some classics remaining on the menu. The small menu points out that you will get a fresh cooked meal with hand-picked ingredients. The focus is on seasonal, organic-grown and fresh dishes.
In the Vaust you can get a taste of traditional German kitchen in a vegan way. Here you will find Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Geschnetzeltes and Currywurst. But there are also sophisticated snacks, starters and desserts and some light dishes, like Quiche. On the top wine lovers can find a variety of good wines. Even if everything is vegan, meat eaters will find their full satisfaction.

You will really love the chocolate cake!

___________
Die Braugaststätte Vaus ist unser Lieblingstrestaurant in Berlin. Sie ist ein echter Geheimtipp. Von der S-Bahnstation Savignyplatz ist das Vaust bequem zu Fuß zu erreichen. Die gemütliche Einrichtung läd zum Verweilen ein. Das hausgebraute Bier ist fantastisch. Angeboten werdden zwei Sorten hauseigenes Bier: Pilsener und Dunkel. Es gibt auch leckere hausgemachte Limonaden, je nach dem, was an Früchten gerade Saison hat. Das Personal ist sehr freundlich und berät auch gern zur veganen Küche. Die Speisekarte wechselt mit den Jahreszeiten. Die Klassiker des Hauses sind aber fast immer auf der Karte. Die übersichtliche Speisekarte zeigt, dass hier frisch und mit ausgewählten Zutaten gekocht wird. Der Fokus liegt dabei auf saisonalen, biologischen und in sich stimmigen Gerichten.
Im Vaust kann man die traditionelle deutsche bzw. gutbürgerliche Küche vegan erleben. Es gibt z.B. Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Geschnetzeltes und Currywurst. Es finden sich zudem auch raffinierte Kleinigkeiten, Vorspeisen und Desserts sowie leichtere Gerichte, wie Quiche. Auch Weinliebhaber finden hier einen guten Tropfen. Selbst Fleischesser kommen bei der komplett veganen Küche auf ihre vollen Kosten.

Probiert unbedingt den fabelhaften Schokoladenkuchen!

Pros: good value, excellent food an beer, friendly staff

Finally a great traditional German Cuisine - Edit

I went there a couple of times already, and I love the seasonal Menu that changes over the year. I loved the homemade sweet potatoes gnocchis with sage and maroons and also their homemade Lemonades. There are nice people here, it's very comfy and quiet. The atmosphere is nice, the food is very comforting, it might be a bit pricey but it's worth it.
I wasn't a fan of the chocolate cake, tasted to "vegan" for me, and also wasn't gluten-free.
But all in all, I always come back to this place on winter evenings!

Pros: lovely cuisine, homemade lemonades and bred, nice place

Cons: not so many GF options

Tucsonans Love Vaust! - Edit

We visited Berlin from Southern US, Arizona, and were very pleased with our visit to Vaust. We arrived just before they opened, and the owner was very polite and accommodating. We loved the food we ordered! The atmosphere was quiet and low-key (of course, they had just opened.)

We will definitely return here when we next visit Berlin.

Pros: Vegan, Quality, Variety

Excellent dining - Edit

Very cosy and outstanding food. Not too pricy and not to fancy but very tasty. I had soy cutlets with potato mash, sauce and champignons. The service was excellent and we got to try some of their newest liqueur for free! I actually liked that the menu only had 2 starters, mains and desserts, but all so some smaller dishes and todays special. We didn't have any starter but went for a fresh sallad and bread with crazy good onion melt.

Pros: Great food!, Reasonable price, Service

Cons: Boring neighborhood, Maybe a bit limited menu

Nice Restaurant! - Edit

Really cozy yet spacious restaurant with great atmosphere. Doesnt have so many options on the menu but all are prepared seasonally and tasty. Good home brewed beer and homemade liquor as well! You can find the current menu with price (8-15 euro per menu) on the website.

Pros: Taste, Atmosphere, Friendly Staff

LOVE this place - Edit

I really did enjoy our meal here- the restaurant looks great, it's cosy, friendly staff...I love the fact they have a short seasonal menu- only supplying meals based on local ingredients they can work with. Fantastic! I think humans as a whole need to stop wanting everything all the time and live more like this (myself included).

A traditional menu which is great for a vegan tourist- the food was fantastic with lots of good flavours going on. Definitely our first stop when we go back to Berlin!

Pros: everything!

Cons: It's not near my home :(

Great vegan food in friendly restaurant - Edit

Great vegan choice. Limited menu but what is on the choice is well done. (I had read that this place was a microbrewery bar serving food like pizza and burgers. That's not the case. It's a sit down restaurant- we booked a table in advance- and priced like one!)

As visitors to Berlin we enjoyed the chance to try German favourites such as currywurst, done vegan!

We shared two mains- a sauerkraut with dumplings and ravioli. Both were tasty and good portions.

Chocolate ganache cake was lovely and a nice vegan treat.

Service was very friendly. Relaxed and relatively slow but sufficiently attentive and accommodating of our total lack of German!

Would definitely recommend this place for the food, service and beer although it is quite expensive (c. 60euros for 2x starter, 2x mains and drinks).

Pros: food, service

Cons: price

Excellent vegan food - Edit

This cosy restaurant in 'Mitte' offers excellent vegan food with a German twist. Most dishes on the menu are traditional German but all of them are veganized. Choices are quite limited but there's still more than enough to choose from. We had the ravioli, and tiramisu and chocolate pie as dessert. Both of them were excellent. The staff is friendly and they speak English.

Please note: it's not possible to pay with a credit card or a foreign debit card! So take cash with you.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 14, 2014

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Cons: Choices

Lovely place and food! - Edit

Although there is not much to choose from on the Wintermenu my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the food! We were served a complimentary bread basket and I had the Ravioli main whish was very tasty but in my opinion needed more sauce over it as a pose to the oil that had been drizzled on it. My boyfriend who is not vegan but tries to eat vegan with me as much as he can, enjoyed his sauerkraut and dumpling main more that I enjoyed my food!

The only disappointment was that they had run out of chocolate ganache cake by the time we ordered dessert and so as a vegan that aims to eat mostly raw and healthy I was unlucky not to have a treat! We instead ordered the polish tiramisu which had some nice elements but I did not enjoy it very much as I am not a fan of boozey desserts.

I would definitely visit again but would instead order the sauerkraut main and make sure that there was a slice of chocolate cake with my name on it!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, Enjoyable for nonvegans

Cons: Not much choice

Worth a visit - Edit

Vaust serves excellent homebrewed beers (Pilsner and Dark) and food. The onion quiche and currywurst were excellent, and so was the chocolate ganache cake. This place was definitely a treat, not a place you'll want to eat at often, because although good, it's not the healthiest food.

Pros: Good value, Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Small portions

One of the best restaurants I've been to - Edit

I went her with my boyfrined and his parents (none of them are vegan) and we all had a great time. We decided to share a lot of meals and it was a good idea. Everything was good, and it was great to taste different things, from vegan currywurst to "beer cake" (more like pizza) and great alcohol as well.

The waiter was lovely as well, and the atmosphere was amazing! It felt like a "normal" restaurant, and not a green hippie world.. Which is good for someone, but not everyone. It was just a great place to bring family for a nice meal. I will definitely go back the next time I'm in Berlin!

I think everything except one or two dishes were vegan as well, and they were just different versions of vegan courses, so I didn't feel like I missed out on anything on the menu.

Pros: Amazing food, Good staff and atmosphere, Decent price

Cons: Some dishes were a bit small

Great vegan food, upscale but homey setting - Edit

I was visiting Berlin with some friends who are vegan and vegetarian, and we found Vaust through HappyCow. I'm so glad that we did! It was our best meal in Berlin by far. We ordered a bunch of different things (small plates, main dishes, and desserts) to share, and every one of them was delicious. Our favorites were the currywurst, the "small snack" (bread with amazing apple-onion spread, the brewery cake (which was really more like a pizza), and the tagliatelle. The home-brewed beers were also very good. We were really impressed by the fact that every single element of the meal was home made, from the bread to the pasta to the liqueurs to the vegan cheese. The restaurant also had a really nice ambiance, upscale without being pretentious, and very warm and cozy and intimate. The service was excellent. The owner was super friendly and very informative. We almost felt like we were eating at a friend's home. I'm not vegetarian, but I would eat at Vaust all the time if I lived in Berlin! (It's also worth noting that although the restaurant is billed as just being vegetarian, almost everything on the menu was actually vegan.)

An interesting concept for veg*n dining - Edit

Despite thinking we were pretty clued-up on the vegan restaurant scene in Berlin, Vaust somehow escaped our attention until recently. We decided to visit on a Friday night and were surprised by the location and atmosphere. Often, veg*n restaurants in Berlin tend to be modern, trendy and/or alternative. It's not clear whether it's intentional, but Vaust has certainly broken this mould and is extremely traditional in decoration and feel and is located in a very affluent part of town.

As for the food, it is a very modern take on traditional German cuisine with many of the dishes being being quite creative. We were impressed by our (100% vegan) meal (described at the end of the review if you're interested). The lemonade that they served was great and despite the huge variety of wine and beer on offer, I only had chance to try the Vaust dark beer, which was excellent. The menu states that majority of the food is organic and most of the options are clearly marked as being suitable for vegans or that it is possible for it to be prepared vegan.

The price was certainly not cheap but the food was of really high quality and therefore was good value in my opinion. The service was also very good and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new in Berlin. I could also imagine that it would be a good place to take parents or older relatives.

Our meal: "Berliner Antipasti" to start - home-pickled gherkin, parsnip carrot and kohlrabi served with beautiful (home-made?) bread and rapeseed oil. For mains, my wife had Kohlrabi schnitzel served with a chicory and orange ragout and a green purée and I had stuffed Savoy cabbage (it was described as roulade but I'm not sure what it was stuffed with some kind of cereal, perhaps spelt) with red wine sauce/gravy and what I think was baby new potatoes (Drillinge kartoffeln) - the Savoy cabbage roulade was particularly delicious. For desert, we both had caramelised pancakes served with peach and vegan whipped creamâ.

Pros: Delicious traditional yet creative menu, Lovely romantic atmosphere, Very friendly service

Cons: Not cheap, but arguably good value

Great addition to veg*n options in Berlin - Edit

The Vaust is the first veg'n "Braugaststätte" (sort of pub) I know.
Wolfgang the owner brews his own beer - according to my wife (I don't drink any beer) it's very delicious!
The atmosphere is very relaxed and traditional, lots of wood.
The menu is quite extensive and there's also an extensive offering of daily specials.
95% of the menu is vegan, the remaining 5% vegetarian but all can be ordered to be vegan.
The food tastes great and is prepared and served in creative ways.
They not only make their own beer but have a very special tasty whole grain bread (using some ingredients of the beer brewing process) and they also make their own various kinds of special salts.
Highly recommended place in Berlin!

Pros: Friendly, own beer, taste

Highly recommended - Edit

To celebrate a birthday a little differently, we spend a saturday in the restaurant brewing beer while learning about the process from the very friendly and gracious host, nibbling away and some delicious food and trying some old and some new beers. The latest one mulled beer was to die for. The Braufladen also comes highly recommended. The atmosphere is homey, the food is delicious and affordable.

Pros: incredible food, homey, warm atmosphere, good value for money

New restaurant in Charlottenburg - Edit

Very fine and delicious dishes, one of the very few vegetarian restaurants in Charlottenburg, offers a lot for vegans.

Only real veg* pub in Berlin - Edit

Oh, what a find. The service, the atmosphere, music, interior, food! I have been looking for a real vegetarian pub in Berlin for a long time and finally found it. It's absolutely worth several visits. Also conveniently located. Only negative point were the prices - 8€ for a Flammkuchen that still leaves you a bit hungry is kind of expensive.

Pros: friendly staff, great atmosphere, good food

Cons: high prices

Vaust Braugaststatte Berlin - Edit

We ate twice at Vaust during our vacation in Berlin (June 2012). The menu was mostly vegan, with dishes clearly marked as such. A three-course menu cost 18€ (before the drinks). In addition to having their own beer, there were also liqueurs and juices that were perfect on a hot day.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff (good English spoken), reasonable prices

Cons: Visa card not accepted

The Vaust Braugaststatte really *is* a gem - Edit

Although the Vaust opened just recently, I have been there many times already. It is such a nice thing to have a rustic veggie place in Berlin with this wonderful homebrew, the delicious tarte flambée and even vegan currywurst. The main dishes are also fantastic. The couple, who runs this restaurant, is really nice.

I simply love it --- 5 happy cows from me.

Pros: Damn good homebrew, Wonderful tarte flambée, Vegan Currywurst

A place to take your parents to - Edit

The Vaust has recently opened in the Savignyplatz neighbourhood in Charlottenburg. The restaurant is very cosy and the interior design very classic, the staff is friendly and helpful, they even brew their own beer, bake their own bread, so expectations were high.
The food (we took the 3 course menu) was of very high quality (asparagus...yummy!) there are plenty of vegan options, the Vaust is a very nice addition to the growing number of vegan-friendly places in Berlin.
It's not a burger place and not crunchy-granola, so you pay a bit more (18€ for 3 courses), but it is well worth the money.

Pros: super tasty, friendly, nice interior

a Hidden gem - Edit

lovely place, friendly staff, great menu, with plenty of options for vegans. the menu's are in German, however the staff speak excellent English and helped us order. they even did a vegan version of the currywurst! Only problem was it wasn't open at lunch time.

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vaust Braugaststatte closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 17682 times since May 2012.