Vandal Doughnuts

902-407-0954

2605 Agricola St, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Serves meat, vegan options available. Donut shop located in Gus' Pub that usually offers a few vegan sandwich/burger options, as well as at least 2 vegan donuts daily. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by QuothTheRaven

Just okay - Edit

They are okay. I didn't rate and review the first time thinking my next visit would be an improvement. I was wrong.

This was my second visit with hopes of a better selection; the selection was better and the doughnuts were fresher but they are nothing to write home about.

There was an aftertaste which strongly resembled artificial flavouring in the raspberry lemon doughnut; it seemed more pronounced in the lemon "curd". Even after 5 minutes, I can still taste it.

It's a shame they didn't use real lemon juice & zest; the curd was as sweet as the raspberry icing. There was no raspberry flavour whatsoever. Both are acidic fruits but the doughnut was cloyingly sweet.

The Homer's Odessey is a vanilla frosted doughnut; oddly named given Homer's adventures were far from vanilla but maybe that's what the sprinkles represent? It's not white frosted but pink. Pink. Pink doesn't quite represent vanilla but I thought you can't go wrong with a vanilla doughnut. I was wrong. It tasted like the lemon raspberry doughnut but with the lemon. And way too sweet.

I have two more in the bag; a S'mores and a chocolate almond. I fear the chocolate will be artificial as well. I'm not interested in trying them righr now because of the overwhelming sweet taste in my mouth and for fear they are as disappointing as the other two.

I'm not sure if the rest will be tasted or simply put out for the birds. I'm leaning towards the  latter. And while Vandal Doughnuts are only a two minute walk from home, I don't see any problems with being a repeat customer.

Update: I tried the "chocolate" frosting; it too is 100% artificially flavoured. Hopefully the birds eat them.

May I suggest to all entrepreneurs that you can't create a business with a funky name and serve sub-adequate food (in this case). It's been over 10 minutes and I still taste artificial flavours. I guess I have decided on the disposition of the other two... hopefully the birds have poor taste!

Pros: None

Cons: Artificial

vegan donuts finally!! - Edit

Owners of Riot Snack bar bring you a sandwich meets doughnut shop located in Gus' Pub. It seems like a strange combo but it works somehow.

The artwork on the door, side of the building and on the door next to the cash is bright and adorable!

There's a big display lined with gorgeous and unique donuts. The bottom row was the vegan options, only 2 but that's enough to make this donut fiend happy. They have menu board listing the prices of everything and also has their unique sandwich options as well. Four of which can be made vegan and are indicated by the green V.

My friend flipped the bill and got us one of each of the donut varieties, as well as a peanut butter bacon burger veganized.

We then took a seat over in the pub area. It's an interesting spot. Very old pub style including slot machines which I don't see very often anymore. But it wasn't a bad dining experience.

The girl working came over and informed us they were out of the vegan bacon but said they could put extra greens and such in it and that was fine.

We chowed down on the first donut while waiting for our food. I believe it was a mocha dipped doughnut. Serious perfection, a real doughnut! Guys, I dream about doughnuts. It's the one thing I always crave to be vegan. This, my friends, was delicious! It was a real fried donut with chocolate glaze frosting on the top.

The burgers came out shortly after and they were huge with two patties, veggies and peanut butter. I seriously think it might be my new favourite vegan burger in the city.

Even though we were stuffed we wanted our second donut. This one was a Boston creme with green and red frosting swirled across the top. Again, it was the real deal.

All and all I was extremely happy with my first visit. The service was great, the food was amazing, the atmosphere was a little strange but not half bad and I enjoyed myself and prices for the burgers and sandwiches are extremely good, donuts a little higher than I'd like but so worth it.

Thank you Vandal for making vegans happy!

Pros: vegan donut, large portions

Cons: not all vegan

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vandal Doughnuts closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.