Urth Caffe - Santa Monica

Contact 310-314-7040

2327 Main St (at Hollister), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90405

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several locations in LA. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, organic coffees and teas. Plenty choices for vegetarians but very limited vegan food though there is usually a vegan chocolate cake on offer. Casual, trendy, urban atmosphere. Mon-Thu 5:30am-11:00pm, Sun 5:30am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:30am-12:00am

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Overrated cafe - Edit

We decided to get Urth Caffe on Friday night when we wanted a low key dinner. We haven't tried it since living in the area, and thought it would be relatively cheap and easy. First off, we got there around 7:30, and the place was absolutely packed. The line doesn't move terribly quickly nor does food come out too quickly. I spent a summer during college working at Panera Bread, and this felt like a slower Panera, with more expensive prices and a few organic and vegan options. I'd choose Panera any day over this.

We ordered, finally found a seat, and couldn't get anyone to clean the table we were sitting at. I even asked someone, he sort of said yes, and then nothing. We finally moved to another table, not quite close enough to a space heater to be very warm. As I said, food took longer than expected to be delivered - a solid 15 minutes. For a grab and go type place, this is long.

I had the half sandwich/bowl of soup option, including the grilled veggie with pesto sandwich and veggie chili. The veggie chili was hearty, but mostly full of beans, not veggies. The pesto sandwich had a good amount of veggies and pesto in it (eggplant, squash, etc.), but still a bit pricey considering. My fiancé had the nori plum rice wrap, and I hate to say it, but this was almost inedible. They were 5-6 large pieces of "sushi", and all you could taste within it was some type of mayo. I don't see that included on the description, but it really wasn't good.

We had to go across the street for gelato afterward, as neither of us quite felt full or satisfied. We won't be back.

Trendy cafe with choices for ovo-lacto veg - Edit

I've eaten at this particular location many times (there are several in LA) and was just here again July 2013. Here's my updated Urth Caffe review.

This place is very popular with locals and walking-by tourists and is continuously busy throughout the day. The open air seating attracts many, and it's conveniently located on Main Street Santa Monica, a walking and shopping street with lots of shops and restaurants. It's also only a block away from Euphoria Loves Rawvolution raw food cafe.

Normally, my husband wouldn't choose to come here because it's not as vegan-friendly as he'd like (he's vegan) - there are a couple vegan items, and you could ask to customize a sandwich or something else. Usually 2 or 3 vegan soups each day plus 1 or 2 vegan cookies and sometimes a vegan chocolate cake (good but extremely sugary). During the holidays you can custom order a vegan pumpkin cake.

I like the tostada salad (with black beans), the Mediterranean hummus platter, and the grilled vegetable panini sandwich. The bread served here is artisan style and very hearty.

The best is the soy cappucino. Expensive but yummy.

Pros: soy cappucino, artisan bread, prompt service

Cons: long lines, limited vegan

great smoothies. - Edit

i only stopped in for a smoothie. very friendly chatty staff, and there fresh menu was vegan, although their wraps did feature chicken.
as i said, i didn't eat, so can only judge the place on the staff and the smoothie. they were both great.

Pros: healy drinks., nice staff

Good Boba Smoothies... - Edit

I really liked their strawberry-banana-orange boba smoothie, it's Vegan [but always double check]. Overall it's a nice place, but I agree, it would be nice if they had even more Vegan options.

What do vegans eat here besides chocolate cake? - Edit

warning their soy cheese is not vegan. I enjoy getting their Thai Iced Tea with Rice milk blended. Their vegan cookie sucks. Its a decent place to grab a tea, though. Needs to be more vegan friendly.

Cons: not very vegan

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Urth Caffe - Santa Monica closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2422 times since Feb 2009.