Urban Vegan Kitchen

Contact 646-438-9939

41 Carmine St (at West Village, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10014

Affiliated with the Blossom Restaurant family, this location was established in March 2012. Features creative organic vegan cuisine and extensive wine list in a chic, intimate setting. Previously named Blossom on Carmine. Open Mon-Wed 11:00am-11:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-11:30pm, Sat 10:00am-11:30pm, Sun 10:00am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by Jayness33

Cool vegan comfort food - Edit

The upstairs is for groups, romance, vegan revolutionary speeches and student coups but the downstairs is reserved for film, listening to music and chill. The manager said she may organize food and video/film events with a theme based on the eclectic drink menu which includes references to David Lynch, Patsy Cline and more - very funny. My favorite dishes were the soups and the double taco crunch. Staff is wonderful. Thank you Pamela for this and other great NYC vegan venues.

late night gem - Edit

Brilliant, creative meals. I had the "chick'un and waffles" and my partner had the special- seared seitan, red wine gravy, green beans with almonds, potato mash. The waffles were perfect! Thick, lightly sweet, crispy outside and soft inside doughy deliciousness. They came with lovely sautéed kale, individual pieces of breaded seitan and a mayo style sauce. The service was incredibly friendly, and the atmosphere felt very special. Best of all, they serve food until 11.30pm! A perfect treat between theatre and dancing.

Pros: serve food til late, creative, fancy

Loved it! - Edit

Stayed in the neighbourhood for a month and went back time and time again: Great food, pleasent service and cozy atmosphere. The people on the staff were really attentive to all our questions and the food was constantly great. Highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff

Lovely dinner - Edit

My husband and I found this place on Apple Maps (surprise, it worked!) and had a lovely dinner. He had the Chick-Un Avocado Ranch Salad and I had the Lasagna with brown rice noodles. Both delicious but the salad stole the show. The crispy fried seitan and the ranch dressing were phenomenal. We finished with a chocolate salted caramel sundae and are fat and happy ☺️

Yay Vegan! - Edit

I was in NYC for 2 weeks and made the rounds. Enjoyed Hush Puppies, love that you are vegan. I was disappointed as the service was just okay and did not seem at all invested in being vegan, was just a server serving food,

Great menu and place but... - Edit

I love the menu, traditional vegan cuisine, but the meat has no taste... the flavor are a bit too light, it needs spices and a little bit more cooking involved I believe. My opinion of course. I have been there twice, the dishes are great but as I said... lacking flavor and taste

Pros: ambiance, location

Cons: taste

best vegan brunch! - Edit

one of my favorites! everything is delicious and the staff is sooo nice and accommodating. love their brunch offerings, as well as the kale Caesar, and the ravioli. have plenty of gluten-free options.

Really bad service staff - Edit

We spend some days in NYC eating our way through restaurants and this one was by far the worst experience. Had a very overpriced starter of mushrooms wrapped in filo dough and some green sauce. As mains we had a burger with garlic fries (be careful with these fries. They are REALLY garlic-y. I can already smell my breath.) and a seitan steak au poivre. That steak ($22) was not nice and quite disappointing. The texture was weird and feeled like eating a big slab of liver. Sauce rather tasteless, same over-garliced fries. The burger was nice.
The waiting staff showed no interest in their customers. We waited a long time until being served, the glas of water was mostly empty, I had to ask for cutlery for my main after 3 different waiters made their way to our table (one after finally pouring water, one after bringing some wine and the third with the mains) and they all seemed to behave very ignorant and arrogant. The restaurant was not even ⅓ full. Don't want to imagine their behaviour in a full place. Very disappointing.
The room itself is very pretty and is located in a good neighbourhood. If only the staff had more customer service training and someone had tasted the food before being served to paying customers.

Pros: Nice neighbourhood

Cons: Waiting staff, Overpriced, Garlic fries

Tasty upscale restaurant - Edit

I don't normally visit expensive restaurants, but since I was visiting NY, I figured I'd have to try Blossom. We choose the Carmine location... I think they have 5 locations. It was delicious. My two non-veg friends that joined me agreed, and enjoyed their meals. We also shared a brownie-a-la-mode dessert and devoured it, even at the shocking price ($15.) Great food, if you're willing to pay for it. Check the hours before you go, I think they open at 10:30, so don't go early.

Pros: Tasty food

Cons: Limited brunch menu (about 5 items), Expensive

Everything Was Great! - Edit

Food, service, menu, drinks, ambience-- all was classy and first rate. Eclectic vegan menu with creative flavor combinations. Had dinner on a weeknight without a reservation, but calling ahead is recommended. Had the Taco Trio (very good), seitan scallopini (which was stacked on top of the mashed potatoes--wonderful) and a Jaguar Ride (different). Like all the NYC Blossom locations, you can't go wrong here for a gourmet vegan meal.

Pros: great vegan food, attentive service, clean, nice artful decor

Cons: not near my home

Delicious and worth the price! - Edit

Lovely intimate atmosphere, lower level dining area would work well for parties or private dinners. Wonderful and broad menu selections. Amazing beverage and dessert options! Try the spring berry tea or elderberry lemonade. We didn't try the cocktails. Only bummer, the espresso machine was not working when we were there and mushroom "bacon" used in salad seemed burnt.

Sushi was great but they didn't have chopsticks. Apparently it's a new dish. Beet carpaccio, lasagne dish and polenta dish were all excellent. Our teenagers were happy with salads, fries and a flatbread pizza.

Tiramisu and chocolate mousse desserts were delightful!

Overall excellent food and service!
A bit pricey, but worth it for a delicious vegan dinner in NYC!

Proposal - Edit

It was myself and my girlfriends first time to dine here and will always be a great memory for us- food was top quality' the manager Brian and his staff went out of their way to accommodate my request to propose to my girlfriend. Best table in the house-played 'our' song and great service' thanks guys - she said yes'

Friendly Staff and nice food - Edit

I came alone but didn`t feel lonely as I was greeted by a friendly and attentive server. I order some seitan or tofu dish which I didn`t like (I tend not to like those as they are pretty bland and boring) so I ordered a raw salad instead. It looked beautiful with edible flowers and lots of greens. Will go back!
Quiet and nicely decorated place (I came right after lunch rush, so it was pretty much empty)

Hit or Miss - Edit

Cafe Blossom has a reputation for some of the best vegan food in NYC. I've been to the West Village location several times. The food is a bit hit or miss depending on what you order. Try the black-eyed pea cakes, they are delicious.

Pros: Food can be delicious, Friendly Staff, Cool decor

Cons: Food is hit or miss, Pretty expensive

Good food, but strange menu - Edit

The first time I had gone to Café Blossom was sometime in June 2013, and I was unimpressed -- much of the menu were soy-based imitations of classic non-vegetarian foods. I've recently gone back (with a Groupon!) and they had completely reworked the menu with creative vegetable dishes, which I far prefer. I ordered a refreshing salad and patties of mushrooms and sea vegetables, followed by an amazing peach cheesecake. However, in spite the improvements to the food itself, the way that the menu is organized seems really weird to me -- it only has "snacks" and "small plates" and some sides, and the small plates drastically vary in size (for example, you can order a single, tiny raw taco for $3 or an entire pizza for $15). If you go, go with at least one other person and split a few of these small plates. Also, the atmosphere is pretty sleek and dim-lit, which is not a bad thing (good for a date!), but I personally prefer more of a granola vibe!
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 19, 2014

Pros: Creative, interesting dishes

Cons: Weird portions

Amazing! - Edit

Absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere relaxing, the people kind, the food delicious. The seitan was super tender and tasty...and, big surprise, vegan cheesecake and MOUSSE, really good! My favourite vegan restaurant so far! Excellent!!!!!

Pros: Food super good, Atmosphere, Location

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Urban Vegan Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.