CLOSED: Urban Vegan Cafe

Contact 843-671-3474

86 Helmsman Wy Ste 201, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA, 29928

Re-opened Sept 2014, this restaurant is in the same building as Captain Fishy's but with separate spaces to prepare and cook. Offers a vegan-friendly and mostly gluten-free menu. Patio overlooks the Intercoastal Waterway. Frequent musical entertainment. Has Wi-Fi. Apr 2015 reported the gluten-free bread contains egg, and offers dairy cheese add-on. Ask when unsure. Reported closed to HappyCow Oct 2015. Mon-Wed 10:00am-3:00pm, Thu 10:00am-6:00pm, Sun 10:00am-6:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-7:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by sldudding55

Hidden Vegan Gem - Edit

Every time my wife and I travel, we are always on the lookout for vegan/veg-friendly places to eat. We were super pumped to find this place, which is very close to where we were staying for the week. All of the food was great - the 4 burger bonanza especially tasty. I urge vegans and non-vegans alike to check this place out!

Pros: friendly service, great food, reasonable prices

Must Visit This Excellent Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Lots of choices. Awesome setting. Great view of the marina. Tons of vegan choices. This is my favorite restaurant on Hilton Head.

Pros: Lots Of Choices, Beautiful Setting, Great Entees

Urban Vegan Cafe has Reopened! - Edit

Urban Vegan Cafe now has its own beautiful restaurant space across the courtyard from the original space. There is now an added juice and smoothie bar. Hours are 11 am till 8 pm.

the vegan-splurge place - Edit

A lot of the food tastes good, but for a high carb, low fat girl it's not very fulfilling. They use coconut oil but a lot. I wasn't much for the mushroom/avocado appetizer. My veggie sandwich was quite oily and the gluten free bread was not very tasty...except their cornbread. That rocks :) their vegan lasagna is naughty yet VERY tasty. Seriously I'm sure even meat eaters love it. Cold slaw side was not good. The managers of the store were very friendly.

Pros: lasagna, corn bread

Cons: very oily , not good for high-carb, low-fat people

Excellent! - Edit

Found this place in one of those free little magazines. Crab cakes, corn bread, cole saw, and choc cake - all amazing. Ordered as take out and waited at the bar. Service was quick and friendly. Spoke to a guy who eats there all the time who recommended the crab cakes and they were excellent!

Pay close attention to what you are served... - Edit

Please let me preface this review by saying that I am not one to write anything but positive reviews, however the offense was so great I feel it worth mentioning. We ordered our son "chick'n" nuggets (not our norm-but we 're on vacation). He was served real chicken. Yes, real chicken. Apparently they were out of the vegan version, and whether by ignorance or accident they substituted meat. Needless to say , we are appalled. I would be more lenient if the name of the restaurant was not Urban Vegan Cafe.

In all fairness, the cauliflower pop pop starter was amazing. The waitress was friendly and apologetic. I am still glad this place exists to offer veggie options, however if you decide to eat here , don't let your guard down and pay attention to what you are served.

Pros: cauliflower starter was delicious., vegan options

Cons: WE WERE SERVED REAL CHICKEN, shared space with traditional restaurant

Terrible Food, Slow Service - Edit

This is a longer review. Clif notes: Very dissatisfied.

I was so excited to go to this restaurant after reading all the rave reviews. Well, my disappointment is palpable. First, we waited 45 minutes for our food to come out; at least I could pass the time watching the table next to us get their food one item at a time across the whole time span (notably they also seemed to send food back). I ordered the 4 sliders (4 different types of burger patties with different sauces) and my husband had the Reuben. Imagine my surprise at the plate of mushy piles with swirls of brightly colored glop on top that I received. At first I was sure there was a mistake. Upon asking the waiter, I was told that the sandwiches did not have buns because they were Gluten Free. My husband's "Reuben" was in fact 2 semi-grilled tepid piles of sauerkraut. Only sauerkraut! No rye bread, no tempeh or tofu or anything resembling. In what sense was this a Reuben? I stoically tried the food despite its appearance and unfortunately it was even worse tasting than I imagined. I hate to write such a review, but with bad service and bad food, I can't say much good about it. To top it off, it was 30 dollars for these terrible "sandwiches". Be advised that the menu may name dishes based upon commonly-held meanings of those dishes (e.g., "Burger") while leaving out crucial elements of those dishes. I can say that the sweet potato fries were good, the other sides so-so. I absolutely would never go to this restaurant again.

Pros: Sweet potato fries

Cons: All other food, slow service, misleading menu

yes!! - Edit

After driving south and living pretty much off of food that I had packed in the car, this place was a welcomed relief and lived up to my expectations after reading the reviews here. We got the cauliflower poppers which were a meal themselves! My husband and I shared the tofu lettuce wraps which were light and refreshing and the "crab" cakes which came with a nice sauce, not spicy enough for my tastes but still flavorful. Every meal comes with a side so we got sweet potato fries and fried spinach which were both perfectly crispy and served hot. WAY too much food for two people but so worth it! Next time we'd probably share an app and one entree. Staff are super friendly and everything is gf as well as vegan. Hurray!

Will Be Back - Edit

Joe was very nice and informative. The cauliflower poppers were amazing. Love the 4 burger sliders. Was not a fan of the alfredo pasta nor was my wife. Sweet potato fries were the best I've ever had. The cornbread was like dessert. Will definitely come back when in the area.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 07, 2014

Pros: Service, Food

Cons: Seafood Smell

Delicious Vegan Comfort Food in HHI - Edit

We weren't sure what to expect from a vegan place that shares space with a fish restaurant, but we could not have been more pleased. The food was just delicious. We started with the cauliflower poppers as an appetizer (surprised nobody has mentioned them, they were just addictive) and tried the lasagne and the brussels sprout burger for entrees. Everything was great! The manager spoke to us briefly and told us a bit about how the place came to be - he was friendly, accommodating and welcoming.

We will absolutely be back - if you're on the island and vegan, you owe it to yourself to visit!

Pros: outstanding and delicious vegan food, huge menu of vegan options, friendly staff and vibe

Cons: limited seating inside

I love this place. - Edit

This place is brilliant.

I love the people I met. Joe is a nice guy and really friendly and full of info. I think he may be the General Manager. I also met Page, who is very nice. I think she's the owner.

The menu is so interesting and varied. In the 2 times I ate there, I had a several of the things, but wished I had more time and appetite to try more stuff. I enjoyed absolutely everything.

Among the things I tried were:

Fried spinach (appetizer -- unique and great).

Four Burger Bonanza (four different one-of-a-kind vegan sliders). I have attached a photo of this.

Hot cornbread with a warm sauce.

Pink potato salad.

Vegan lasagna (with a marinara sauce and vegan cheese -- labor-intensive to cook, but they make it every day -- scrumptious).

Mushroom and kale soup.

Also, I bought a couple vegan dessert cakes (velvet cake and some other cake -- don't recall) to give to my coworkers. They loved them.

The daily menu has many different and wonderful vegan delights, and in addition, there are some other things that change day-to-day.

And the prices are very reasonable. Both of the times I went there, I really pigged out and expected a big bill. But both times, I was pleasantly surprised how affordable the tab was.

I am a vegan, so I have been to a million vegetarian/vegan restaurants all over the country. But I must say, this place is very special -- a real treasure. I can't wait to go back and continue eating my way through the menu. And visit with Joe and Page.

Fabulous!!! - Edit

As soon as we got to Hilton Head Island, we found this place! The entire menu is vegan and sounds absolutely wonderful! I had the Four Burger Bonanza, which came with 4 patties - black bean, white bean, lima bean and beet burger. Each had it's own special sauce. Oooohhhh mmyyyy! I loved each one! It also came with a huge amount of black bean and chili lime quinoa. It was fabulous! Then I also had to choose a side, which I got the sweet potato fries. They had a little spice to them and were so good!! My husband got the Sloppy JoJo's Old Favorite. Tasty!!! It was a very tomatoy sloppy joe, but very good! We met the owner/chef, who was great! We also had a fun and friendly waiter! We will definitely go back while we are in Hilton Head! This place will be at the top of my list of places to eat!

Pros: Totally vegan, A great menu, Fun and friendly

Cons: Nothing I can think of

Fast best of all FRIENDLY service. Good too. - Edit

Taking a quick family vacation after the Atlanta snow storm. The check in person at Waterslide a Spinnaker Resort told us about this place. Wow. We ate here two times. Most of the kids like the sloppy joe. All of us loved the fries. My kids love ketchup and all agreed they didn't need it for these fries. Dessert, tasty (Lavender Cake and Chocolate Cake). I prefer my food not be named after animal, but the crab"less" cakes were tasty. The biggest hit wasn't even on the menu, it was the vegan/gluten free corn bread. My children DEVOURED it both days. I loved the apricot Almond cole slaw as well. I'm still taken back with the friendliness of the staff and that they actually have two kitchens in one establishment (shared with Captain Fishy's). Definitely a place worth checking out. Great location and atmosphere.

Pros: location/free parking, indoor and outdoor seating, tasty food

Cons: some menu items not available

Urban Vegan Cafe is vegan paradise! - Edit

So I recently arrived in Bluffton for a short vacation, and I was so tired of just going places and sufficing with salads, since there aren't any vegan-friendly restaurants in town. So, I decided to look up vegan restaurants, and the rest is history. I have gone to Urban Vegan with my mother every day since then, and my mother isn't a vegan, but she LOVES the food. Every time that we go, we try new dishes. The vegan crab cakes are to die for! I have never had a crab cake in my life, so this is just a whole new world of flavors for me. On the side of the amazing, mouth-watering crab cakes, is a dish of black beans and quinoa with this phenomenal, just enough amount, of sauce on top. We also tried the four burger sampler, which presentation alone was fantastic. I loved the black bean burger the best, and the lima bean was probably my second favorite. My mother really loved the beet burger. What was great about it was that each burger had its own separate spread, AND it came with the black beans and quinoa. We have also had the roasted pepper jerk boats, which were so flavorful and interesting considering that neither of us had anything "jerk-style" before. The next day we tried the Sloppy Jojos, which were really good and flavorful, and I didn't know what to expect considering I have never had red meat in my entire life.

Okay, so onto the appetizers and sides (moving backwards). The cornbread is so moist and to die for. My mother was raving about them. The sweet potato fries were so sweet and delicious, but also had a bit of spice to them. My personal favorite side was the fried spinach, which was basically like eating chips, but they were really spinach leaves! They are so amazing. My mother's personal favorite side was the apricot almond cole slaw, which was so sweet and delightful. We also had the pink potato salad, which was not only adorable to look at, but also delicious to eat.

There is so much more added to this review, to see that find it on yelp, because I beyond exceeded the limit with adding in the desserts and service. xx

Pros: splendid food, amazing staff, satisfied stomachs

You'll eat here if you know what's good for you! - Edit

Vegan goodness in the South Carolina Low Country - who knew? Looking for vegan options on Hilton Head Island? This is definitely the place to chow down. Went here with 6 omnivore friends, who agreed to go because Urban Vegan shares space with Captain Fishy's, a seafood restaurant, yet the kitchens are totally separate, and most of the vegan food is also gluten free. Had the vegan crab cakes with black bean quinoa - awesomely delish. Our wonderful server, Joe, was very knowledgeable about vegan food, and menu items. My dining companions commented on the vegan, GF cornbread looking better than the non-vegan cornbread they had. So I offered a taste, and they devoured it. Moist, melt in your mouth texture, even without spreading on the vegan butter. Sampled the sweet potato fries - crisp and done just right!

Pros: Very tasty food, Good variety, Good value

Awesome Surprise - Edit

I stopped by with 3 girlfriends on vacation and there is something for everyone. Amazing appetizer with 4 sliders was honestly large enough to fill us up. But there was so much more to try...chocolate cake was the bomb. They even have a full restaurant side for non vegans but nothing is mixed and the kitchens are separate. Great explanation from knowledgeable staff. We'll be back

Pros: excellent food/large portions, amazing options, friendly staff

Cons: out of lavender cake

awesome vegan food - Edit

Quinoa w black beans, gourmet veggie burgers and amazing "cream" sauces. Sweet potato fries, good desserts. Very good food, friendly service, on the water. We even had great live entertainment. Sign says "Captain Fishy," which is odd, but try it!!

Pros: originality, service, cornbread

Cons: small portions, hard to find

Waited for a long time - Edit

We visited the restaurant this Saturday Sep 28th.
My husband and I were very excited to finally find a vegan restaurant on the island. There was no hostess, so I asked someone inside the restaurant if it we could sit outside, and she said, "sure, we'll be right with you".
The waitress came after a couple of minutes and gave us one menu, which we shared.
We ordered our drinks and my husband's came first. She asked if we were ready to order, but since this was our first visit, we wanted to look at the menu just for a minute. She said "of course" and that my tea would be out soon.
After this, she did not return to our table. A long time passed, other people sat down and she did not return to us. I could see her doing things inside, and I can't believe that a cup of tea would take so long to be made. Finally I saw her resetting a table that had just been vacated, while there were other tables inside and outside that were clean and ready to receive patrons; and I was still waiting for my tea and to order our food. People, this was not like a five minute wait, this was a LONG time!
At this point, we decided to leave (of course we paid for the beer).
My disappointment was that the restaurant was NOT too busy at all. I understand when a restaurant is packed that things get a bit out of control, I've been a waitress before. The restaurant manager was also serving people, but I think he did not see what happened to us.
They had vegan crab cakes and a quinoa black bean burger on specials for the evening. It seemed like a good menu, but we never got a chance to try any of it. :(

Pros: Vegan menu

Cons: Staff did not look and act professional

Totally a great place to dine Vegan! - Edit

DEcided to try the only true Vegan cafe in HHI and Bluffton SC! We were so glad we did. Owners came out and talked to us about being vegan and how they got started and the waiter was very nice and attentive and even told us about a special Bean chili they had made up for those in the back that was not on the menu but that he would let us get it. That was awesome plus every other dish we tried was great as well. Loved eating outside and couldn't have asked for a better experience anywhere else. Highly recommended!

Pros: Lots of great Vegan Dishes, Dining Outsifde, Also food for nonvegan friends

Cons: none, none, none

Fantastic place all around! - Edit

Severe shortage of veg-friendly restaurants on the island (and none with a vegan menu!) so I had high hopes. WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED! Incredibly friendly server, beautiful location...we sat out in the patio, under a huge tree and it was lovely. My husband was happy he could still watch football on the TVs too. As far as vegan comfort food goes... this place is it! Kids loved the faux sloppy joe's (they split an adult meal just for them b/c the kids love sloppy joe's), the sweet potato fries were the best I've had, everything was delish and after dinner the cook came out to see how everything was. Very nice people. Finally, our bill came out to under $35 for 2 adults and 2 children (2 beers included). The only regret is not being able to sample a little bit of everything on the menu because it all sounds good.

Pros: Food, Setting, Value

A mixed first visit - Edit

We tried Urban Vegan for the first time and came away with a somewhat mixed opinion. The Black Bean Burger was quite good. It was well flavored and cooked so that the outside was just a bit crunchy. The hit of the day was the Apricot Almond Cole Slaw. It was a creamy mix of flavors that complimented each other well. But we were a bit disappointed in the Garden of Vegan Salad. While the greens were high quality, there weren't enough of them. There were lots of finely chopped vegetables: green peppers, red peppers, onions, cucumbers and shredded carrots. But for the price ($9) this is a pretty boring mixture. I expected a more interesting selection of veggies from a restaurant that advertises itself as a vegan specialist; this is the stuff of fast food salads. The house dressing, a balsamic vinaigrette was tasty and did not have too much oil.
We do plan to give this restaurant another try.

Pros: Good selection, Nice setting

Cons: Boring salad

Veggie BBQ - Edit

This sandwich was great, lot's of beers and drinks to choose from.It's a great location, right on a Marina. Friendly people. Good live music. What more could a vegan looking for fun on Hilton Head Island want

Pros: taste of food, great location on a Marina, good live music

Cons: it was very busy

may not make it - Edit

This is my second visit to this restaurant. Unfortunately I the second time was more lack luster than the first. I ordered the beet burger and it first came out lukewarm, no grill marks and pasty, I requested it be sent back and cooked, it came back hot, no grill marks and still pasty. The fried spinach, thinking it would be like kale, was sitting in a bed of oil, YUCK! I couldn't even eat the burger, they tried to make it right by letting me order again, I ordered a grilled eggplant sandwich and what was served was a eggless sandwich (costing $2.00 less). They did not even adjust the bill from $9 to $7. They even argued with me as to what I ordered. Will not be back.

Pros: ?

Cons: service, food, service

Return to Hilton Head Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Urban Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5847 times since Jun 2013.