First Review by philjdomm

lovely location and good food - Edit

the UH at Kensington Market is a really nice place to stop for lunch, snack or drinks. The staff is great and the food good.

Excellent - Edit

I had an excellent salad there (a filling bowl, Possum if I remember well) - as well as an awesome beet smoothie. Just what I needed!

Pros: good food, cool location

Cons: closes early, not the cosiest place

Delicious and unique - Edit

I loved that you could add a smoothie or dessert to your entrée to make it a "combo." Smoothie and chickpea Caesar salad sandwich were both delicious. There isn't much seating, but we sat at the bar window and got to people watch in the Kensington neighborhood, so it wasn't a bad thing.

A Mandatory Toronto Stop - Edit

UH has a bunch of great (and generally healthy) options. I'm partial to their snacks - muffins, cookies, etc. which are great to grab and go since the place is a tad small. The offer some great soups and sandwiches too, though they aren't the cheapest. If you're in TO this is definitely worth a stop, plus it's not far from a bunch of other vegan places (like Bunner's Bake shop)

Pros: Great desserts, Healthy options

Cons: Small restaurant

Good but don't like the atmosphere - Edit

Sandwiches are really good (ginger tempeh is my favorite). I've been there many times at different time of the day and I always feel like the staff don't like their job. No smiles, serious face, impatient, etc. The location is really good in a beautiful street.

Pros: Tasty food and variety , Gluten free option

Cons: Expensive, Not friendly staff

Delicious Sandwiches - Edit

Love the BBQ Tofu Sandwich, its a little pricey if your taking it to go but if you sit and eat its definitely more worth it as you get a yummy salad with your sandwich at the same price, I think it would be nice if they added the salad in a takeaway container it would be a nice addition instead of having it only available for sit in customers. They also have a nice selection of treats(cupcakes mostly) and juices as well.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Delicious Sandwiches

A little expensive - Edit

If you want just a salad it will cost you $10. Great food and pretty good portions, but salad is a little expensive. Friendly staff. Clean sit down. All vegan!

Pros: Clean, All vegan, Pretty big portions

Cons: Salad pretty expensive

Spectacular, well it was.... - Edit

Used to love this place, as per my original review, but while it is still good, not loving some changes. Selling cookies in multiple packs is one, and selling muffin tops only is another. Sandwiches still yummy, but everything seems to have slipped a notch in quality from earlier visits. Plus, the service is some of the worst around, with rudeness common, as others have noticed...

This place is amazingly good. Their sandwiches are the best I've ever had - anywhere. Fresh bread, amazing fillings, HUGE, with BBQ Tofu, Seitan or Gluten (chicken like) filling. I am in love with this place. You must try the chocolate chip cookies, cranberry muffins and lemonade. Not necessarily super healthy, but so tasty I cry thinking I live so far from this place. Do not miss! It is really a lunch place only, but really homey and totally vegan.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 01, 2007

Pros: Great value, excellent food, great desserts

Cons: Not much seating

Tastes good, most stuff overpriced. - Edit

Their food is good. I have to give especially rave reviews about their muffies. They are essentially short muffins, supposed to be like cookies. They are great. Just sweet enough, just a big enough portion size, and quite inexpensive. I would eat those on a regular basis. The problem was, I arrived a few hours before closing time and they had run out of the soup I wanted. The cashier told me that this was a regular occurrence. I appreciate that their food is popular but running out of food is something I would expect a little closer to closing than a few hours, if at all. I ended up with a salad bowl, which was good, but I had a hard time justifying the over $10 price tag.

Over-rated and way too pricey - Edit

This place bugs me. I paid 20 dollars for a salad that should have cost me 8 dollars. I heard rave reviews from a friend and expected more... It was so boring even with all the fixin's... I won't go back. It was meh service and with my drink it was over 25 dollars... Not worth it... It has great potential.
Walk a few steps south to Hibiscus for a much better experience...

Cons: pricey, not that great, looks better than it is

BIG sandwiches - Edit

They serve goddam enormous sandwiches, I have no idea how anyone could ever be hungry enough to eat one of their sandwiches in a single sitting. But that's fine, take it home and eat it later. There's a lot of slightly exotic combinations, so think it through before buying - my girlfriend had a sandwich with, in my opinion, rather too much sesame sauce; I went for the soup of the day, which was a pretty filling chili. Not a lot of seating space, but most people seem to order to go, so there'll probably be room if you want to stay.

Alright food - Edit

I went here recently for breakfast and was sad to see there were very few options. I decided on their muffins which were very filling but was sad to hear they did not have any jam, vegan margarine or in fact anything to put on them. I feel I would not go back.

Pros: filling

Cons: expensive, few options

Healthy lunch - Edit

This is a small restaurant with very little space to sit or move. The line goes out the door at lunch time and service can be slow. The food is very healthy but quite expensive, which is hard to justify given that vegetables are generally cheaper than meat. The food was very good though -- mainly salads and soup.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty

Cons: Small, Slow service

food not bad, more servers needed - Edit

Small cafe with a decent sized salad bar. I was disappointed that their fresh juices are pre-made and just sitting on ice. I was expecting it to be freshly juiced upon order. Their vegan muffins are really good though. I tried both the sweet potato one and the apple/blueberry one, and both were super yummy!

There are usually one or two people at the counter, one taking orders and another making the salads and sandwiches. Service can be a bit slow.

Pros: muffins

Cons: service

good food - Edit

I'M a former addict to their brownies (former cause i no longer live in To)
I like this place and the atmosphere however it's generally a little bit overprice and the openning hour are a bit narrow (if I'm not wrong it's closing at 7pm )

So so - Edit

The sandwiches are nice but very overpriced for what they are, nothing too special.

Pros: nice neighborhood, outdoor seating

Cons: overpriced

Great food but poorly stocked - Edit

I really want to give Urban Herbivore five stars. Their muffins can't be beat and any one of their sandwiches makes for a delicious and filling meal. But 9 times out of ten I go in there and they are out of not just one thing but sometimes as much as four things. When they only have 5 sandwiches to choose from, you can see how much of a problem this can be. Not to mention how disorganized the ordering process is. I'd say one out of three times I'll place an order and pay for it, only to have them forget to make it until I remind them. There seems to be no procedure with employees moving on and off the cash register and food line. After some 10 visits, I am really thinking about not returning just because it is such a frustrating experience. Which is a shame because I really enjoy the food.

Pros: Amazing muffins, Great sandwiches

Cons: Consistently out of things, Poor service

Great take out place - Edit

There is no service at the tables, you order what you want at the cash, like a take out, with some places to sit. I love the concept of the place, where you make your choices. I had a salad ; you first chose your greens : i had baby spinach. Then, i chose veggies and toppings, and the girl suggested BBQ tofu : she was right, i liked it. My boyfriend had a sandwich, with greens, sprouts, tempeh, olive tapenade and lemon tahini. He was happy with it. I still prefer the salad option because you can put anything you want : they have less options for the sandwich, you just chose tempeh or tofu... We also got 2 lemonades, one with mint leaves, one with cranberry juice. We had a quite dry/overcooked muffin, that could have been better. The girl helping us was really friendly and happy to try to speak french with us. There are not a lot of places to sit : we ate outside, on the patio. For a salad, a sandwich, a muffin and 2 lemondes, we paid less than 30$ so that was not expensive, and a really fun experience.

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Urban Herbivore - Kensington Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.