Urban Herbivore - Eaton Centre

Contact 416-927-1231

220 Yonge St (at Eaton Centre, North Food Court), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5B 2H1

Sandwiches, salads, baked goods and fresh juices. Its 3rd location in Toronto.

Category: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by Ken4057

Love!! - Edit

I always love going here when I visit Toronto! The sandwiches and salads are all very tasty. My favorite is the bbq tofu. The cupcakes are also good. It's so nice to see a vegan restuarant in a mall food court!

Pros: good food, healthy options, nice staff

Huge portions, less taste - Edit

Due to the good reviews I decided to give it a try on my stay in Toronto and got really disappointed.
The prices are okay since the portions are huge. I had the coconut curry which wasn't tasting neither like coconut nor like curry. To me it looked like potatoes with tomato sauce and a couple of peas and basil. It was really overlooked and not spiced at all. Then I tried the stew which funny looked the same but had a bunch of quinoa at the bottom. The stew wasn't spiced either. Vegan food never tasted as boring as here.
That place gets 2 stars for the good prices and the huge portions that's it.

Pros: good prices, huge portions, gluten free cupcakes

Cons: over cooked , lame taste, little choice

Classy and Yummy - Edit

Urban Herbivore is a great place to come for a lunch when shopping at the mall. I'm not a huge fan of food courts myself, but to see a vegan option pop up in one, that makes me happy! The food there can be made quite healthy, from what I saw. We tried a couple of their pre-made entree dishes, and the portions were very generous. I love that a fast food location can make something that seems so fancy -- "restaurant quality"!

Pros: Fancy, Delicious Food, Healthy

Cons: In a Food Court

Great food, but a little Expensive - Edit

Great food, but a little expensive for a mall location. Just a salad cost $10. I know they are struggling, but they need to offer fast food options as well.

Pros: Great food, No fast food options, All vegan!

Cons: Not a fast food place, A little bit pricey

So good! - Edit

They had lots of vegan options like tofu sandwiches and their fresh pressed fruit and veggie juices were delicious! Also a plus, all their packaging and cups are eco-friendly! :)

Pros: Fast, Lots of options, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive

Awesome food! - Edit

Hi Everyone!
I was roaming around at the Eaton Centre food court hoping to find something vegan to eat! I googled this and came across great reviews for Urban Herbivore!
I made a beeline towards this place with amazing food and I couldn't be happier.
What did I have? Coconut curry stew with brown rice and a side salad. I treated my friends to some vegan cupcakes. We had the chocolate, banana and almond cupcakes! Simply delicious :)
To eat here on a regular basis could ofcourse get pricey, but once in a while treat yourself :) I would DEFINITELY recommend the coconut stew, it was amazing! I need to find the recipe to make it at home if I can :)

Pros: Stew, Cupcakes, Service

Cons: A little pricey

fantastic value - Edit

came across this by accident, tucked way in a shopping complex food court but will be returning again,. we are inToronto another week and will be looking for their other stores. The Morroccan stew was large with rice/ pumpkins and other goodies, separate tofu and salad. great value and great tatse. fully recommended, and a bonus was they have vegan gluten free cup cakes

Pros: price, large tasty serving, value

Cons: hard to get a table as in a food court

Fresh, fast and fabulous - Edit

While shopping at the Eaton Centre for the first time since going vegan, I knew exactly where I was headed. Let me tell you, Urban Herbivore did not disappoint. The staff was extremely helpful and suggested the Sesame Tempeh sandwich which was delicious and came with an equally delicious side salad. I also got a cupcake which was heavenly. I couldn't believe my meal came from a food court!

Pros: selection , freshness , fast food done right

Cons: a tad pricey

True to its name. With its located in TO urban condensed areas, this vegan restaurant offers good, healthy, low-sodium-low-fat vegan option from soups to salads to desserts. Good service and good quantities of food. It fills you up and keeps you going in the chaos that is urban city life. :)

Pros: reasonably priced, convenient location, friendly service

Cons: food is not always completely fresh

Not bad in a pinch - Edit

We've only eaten at Urban Herbivore once, and while it is adequate, it didn't blow our socks off compared to other vegan restaurants throughout the Toronto area. Nice for a family, or anyone just getting into veganism, as they offer versions of foods you would be accustomed to eating.

Pros: Good variety

Cons: Not raw, not super healthy

Morrocan stew - Edit

I had the Moroccan stew and upgraded to quinoa for $1 - loved the meal! I was so happy to stumble upon this place in a food court. All the baked goods are vegan and look perfect! Yum!

Pros: healthy, 100% vegan, vegan bakery

Cons: none

Great Veg option in a food court! - Edit

Whenever I go to the mall it is always a struggle to find a veg option let alone a GOOD veg option. Urban herbivore is yummy, not too expensive and fast! I am so happy they opened this location in the mall.The only thing is because it is so popular they often sell out of specials and some menu items.

Pros: Fast, yummy, not too expensive

Cons: sell out of speicals fast

Vegan Food Court? Win! - Edit

I love this place! I stumbled upon it looking for a snack at the food court. I got much more than a snack. For $10 I got a *huge* avocado/sprout/tahini sandwich and a side salad, both of which were really really good compared to almost any food court food anywhere. Definitely going back before I leave Toronto!

Pros: Tasty!, Quick! , Cupcakes!

Horrible - Edit

If it wasn't getting late already and that my partner and I weren't staying at a hotel nearby, we most certainly wouldn't have come here for dinner. Everything was wrong except for the huge portions.

I ordered a tomato lentil soup and the coconut curry with added tempeh. They just didn't turn out to be quite what was described on the menu, and the taste was all meh. The soup strangely had more corn than lentils, also way too tomato-ey and sour. No depth whatsoever. The coconut curry was an even bigger joke. Never had I tasted a curry so bland; the coconut flavor eluded me completely. All I had for vegetables in my stew were potatoes, nothing else, and it came with rice too (we'll get to the rice in a second). So, for some reason they decided to serve a starch with more starch and make you pay extra for tofu/tempeh for protein. Great tactics. Now, back to the rice. It was supposed to be a mix of brown and black sticky rice, but there was no way the black one was the sticky variety. I'm Asian so I know my sticky rice. It was oversalted as well, so was the tempeh I ordered extra. So far nothing I got on the table resembled what was written on the menu, and the food was pretty vile.

It's part of the food court in Eaton Centre, so there is not much atmosphere to speak of. For the money I paid ($16), I could have easily gotten much nicer food elsewhere.

Pros: huge portions

Cons: food quality, poor menu, pricey

Good Food, Bad Price - Edit

I am at the eaton centre regularly, and a few months ago I decided to check out Urban Herbivore. I ordered a sandwich and salad. The sandwich was good, but the salad was mediocre. I was very unhappy with the price. I think I paid around $11, which was insane for a food court meal. I've debated returning to try another item, but the price has scared me off.

Pros: Tasty Sandwich, Good Service

Cons: Expensive, Mediocre Salad, Area is too noisy

Just nice food in a mall - Edit

It's great that Urban Herbivore opened in the Eaton's center. It's breaking new ground in Toronto. I've been eating at the "Herb" since it opened in Kensington. Watched the prices go up... Salads are the kind you can make at home, but nice to eat something healthy out on the street. The sandwiches are very delicious. The Eaton's center location has a variety of semi-interesting (but always delicious) cupcakes.
Person serving me never speaks loud enough (and to my knowledge I don't have a hearing problem!)

Pros: in THE MALL, variety of fresh food, cupcakes

Cons: THE MALL, Noisy as hell

Disappointing BLT - Edit

I recently went here to eat while downtown. I ordered the BLT and had to wait over 10 minutes for it. People who ordered after me all received their food first which I found very strange. When I did receive the food it was a large sandwich with a side salad. I bit in to find the tempeh was burnt. If the tempeh wasn't burnt it could have been a great sandwich. I also found it pricey, but I guess for the location it makes sense.

Pros: big portion

Cons: pricey, long wait times

amazing!! - Edit

I've had the salad bowl twice now (visiting Toronto for the week) and thy were both delicious, I recommend the mushrooms (the guy in front of me said I needed to get them!), the tofu, and the snow peas and for dressing I got the carrot sesame that was recomended by my server. The place works a lot like subway where they put whatever you want (up to 6) in the bowl. I also had the soup of the day which was delicious! And the servings are really big and not that expensive. Fantastic fast food!!

Pros: huge portions, quick service, yummy

Cons: none :)

Best. Lunch. Ever. - Edit

I cannot recommend this restaurant enough. I went for lunch and had the tofu curry. First, this is not only DELICIOUS but also incredibly cheap! I got a massive bowl or curry with quinoa and a side salad for $9. It lasted me two big meals. I was also voted as having the best lunch by my meat eating friends as they begged me to share with them! They also have a ton of other menu items including a Moroccan stew, salads, sandwiches and I think soups. They also have vegan desserts and dips you can purchase. The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful. I cannot wait to go back.
My only complaint would be that drinks are expensive here. They sell fresh juices, but at a high price. Overall an amazing vegan find that I will definitely go to again and again.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious

Cons: Expensive drinks

Support them! - Edit

Much the same menu as the Kensington location, only in a new food court.

Service is often poor, and they're always out of the tasty foccacia, but the food is very good, and they're the only vegan place in the Eaton Centre, a pearl in the midst of ugly excess and irresponsible waste. Needless to say, they aren't doing so well in these waters say the rumblings, and they could use the support. Toronto doesn't need another Panacea.

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Urban Herbivore - Eaton Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8316 times since Nov 2011.