Universal Diner

Contact 61-34432089

CLS 210, Bloco C, Loja 18, Brasilia, Brazil, 70273-530

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fusion restaurant with the choice to substitute meats for seitan, and a vegan burger on Thursdays. Many dishes have no animal ingredients, so substitution comes easy, such as the seitan in chasseur gravy with banana and funghi risotto or the seitan with curry sauce and Thai rice with pineapple. Aside from the fixed menu with substitutes, the chef offers at least two different vegan dishes every day, usually also gluten free. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-12:00am, Tue-Fri 12:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sat 12:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by bfeitosa

Exotic and filling - Edit

I love seitan, so my subjective evaluation becomes even more biased. Their vegan alternatives taste excellent, especially the "molho madeira" option. Don't order the fries for appetizers - definitely "fun", but not really worth the price or the size. On the other hand, I felt pleasantly surprised to eat much more than I expected on the main course, considering that it came from an expensive restaurant. Plus, seitan fills anyone up, even in smaller portions, so you will definitely eat less than normal if you order it. Their risotto options sounded bland, so I didn't try them and haven't heard any feedback on them. I did hear that their vegetarian hamburger, minus the cheese, serves vegan customers and pleases quite the crowd, but they only have it on Thursdays. I definitely plan on trying it on my next visit. My only substantial criticism deals with pricing - they should have lower prices for the seitan option, since it definitely costs much less than the shrimp, fish, or meat cuts that it substitutes.

Pros: Great variety of sauces and side dishes, Fancy dishes and ambiance, Great music

Cons: Pricy... VERY pricy, Usually crowded, Servers not always prepared for vegans

Return to Brasilia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Universal Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 31 times since Sep 2016.