Union Of Genius

0131-2264436

8 Forrest Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 2QN

Serves meat, vegan options available. Soup cafe. Menu changes daily and always includes 2 vegan and 2 lacto-ovo vegetarian soups, clearly labelled on the menu, plus a selection of salads. Has gluten free bread. Open Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by imogenmichel

a winter haven - Edit

anyone in Edinburgh in winter will not be disappointed.
various soups rotates daily, UOG have enough sense to realise that some meat eaters will eat tasty appealing soup even if it's vegan.
soups are often world based and are really flavoursome.
a fine option.

Pros: it's of vegan, staff, tasty

Cons: very small, maybe take out.

For a soup-loving person a real gem in Edinburgh - Edit

I had an awesome tomato soup (filling and well-flavoured) with tasty poppy seed bread. Actually I don't know if they have any vegan spread, I didn't ask and I was given butter.
They provide salads as well (there is some kind of salad + soup combo available), also fresh juices, hot chocolates and whatnot.
It's a rather small venue, but nice and welcoming. There is a shelf with few vegan products like chocolate, seeds and nuts and so on.
Coffee was very good! Don't know about WiFi.
By their own account they donate lots of leftovers to the needy.
Also, you can pay for a bowl of soup which later would be given to someone who can't afford it (I don't know how this works in detail though - would be interesting to learn).

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-30

Pros: community-oriented, tasty soup (is there anything better than soup?)

Filling, cheap and delicious! - Edit

I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more reviews on this fantastic place. While I only went once during my stay in Edinburgh, I could see myself becoming a regular if I actually lived there. Their soups are reasonably priced, and come with two slices of delicious bread (including gluten free bread).

While it isn't 100% vegan, I appreciated that it seemed to cater to all tastes and diets, and everything is clearly labeled. You can choose from the large, or the small size, and they even have a deal where you can get a sampler of three soups! There were three vegan soups when I went, and they all sounded really distinct and flavorful.

They don't have a lot of seating, which can be tough if the weather is not cooperating. While the place focuses on soup, they also have salads, and can even do combos, which also include fruit and a drink. The service was great, and my only regret is that I didn't visit this place sooner! (And that I can't give this place a five cow review because it isn't vegetarian).

Pros: different hearty soups, cheap, great service and decor

Cons: mostly just soup, not a lot of seating

Wonderful soup! - Edit

I came here for the first time to get a quick lunch on a busy day last week, and I love this place already! I had a sweet potato and coconut soup (out of a choice of three different vegan soups) with olive bread, and it was absolutely delicious! The staff couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the vegan options available, which were also clearly marked on the board. I'll be coming here a lot more often in future!

Pros: Wonderful vegan soups, Friendly, helpful staff, Great quality

Cons: Not 100% veg*n

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Union Of Genius closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.