Under the Bodhi Tree

Contact 808-895-2053

68-1330 Mauna Lani Dr Ste116 (at /on Big Island), Kamuela, Hawaii, USA, 96743

Open June 2014, call ahead. Casual dining vegetarian, vegan, and raw food restaurant. Chef/owner is a raw vegan who sources produce from local small farms and co-ops. Located in the Mauna Lani Shops north of the airport. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by TopJamChef

Amazing food at reasonable prices - Edit

I am so thankful for this little restaurant, I was staying at the Mauna Lani resort for a conference and was delighted that such excellent, healthy food was available for decent prices (for Hawaii) right on the resort. Even if you aren't staying at the resort I would recommend coming here, the fruit and veggies, I think pretty much every ingredient actually, is organic and local. The breakfast and lunch/dinner menus are both fantastic and all vegetarian, mostly vegan. Food is cooked right in front of you. They also serve local tea and kombucha (on tap) that are both excellent.

Pros: great food, good prices, local ingredients/ beverages

Cons: a bit slow at peak hours

Holy yum - Edit

Too much to choose from indeed! I wanted everything! I settled on the Mega Veggie Noodle soup, the Green Flash salad, and my partner had the Nahkon Noodles. All were to die for, I can't wait to go back and try more. The owners and servers were great, and the ambiance was perfect.

Pros: Delicious nutritious food, Ginormous menu , Vegan-oriented establishment

Cons: I wanted it all!!!

Excellent breakfast! - Edit

Had the great pleasure to eat here on our last morning. Vegan french toast, tofu scramble, potatoes, bread w/ jam, brownies, smoothies, etc etc.

Really great experience for the non-vegans with us as well. Everyone enjoyed their breakfast and agreed that we would have been just as happy having lunch or dinner here too.

Prices weren't bad considering the surrounding luxury, we all felt like we got our monies worth.

Pros: Very good good, Lots of options

Cons: One of the associates wasn't friendly

Tasty vegan and vegetarian food in luxury mall - Edit

I ve tried few things here during my stay and it was all very tasty. I stayed in Kailua, but kept coming back every second day, even it was a bit far for me. They have vegetarian and vegan options. U can make vegetarian meal vegan if u wish. They have omellets, pancakes, smothies, juices etc for breakfast and sandwiches, soups, salads and original meals for other time while they r opened. Its located in a luxury mall, i think its s part of lux resort. Take turn to mauna lani drive from hwy 19 at thr roundabout straight and its on ur right. Nice place to sit outside.

Pros: original meals

Cons: there is not big choise of desserts.

Awesome Vegan Food! - Edit

Love this place, ate here multiple times, well worth the money! Best local food by far! We also ate down the way at Tommy Bahsucky, they said the had veggie options $25 for veggies grilled next to steak and fish, nothing Vegan! Under The Bodhi Tree thanks for being there, love your food!

Pros: Best Food!, Great Price!

Cons: closed by 7 pm

BEST in KONA - Edit

Under the Bodhi Tree near Mauna Lani Resort, all vegetarian and vegan restaurant with clearly marked vegan, raw and gluten free.
I was greeted by chef and owner Stephen, who is raw vegan (which is also gluten free by default).
I had an amazing vegan reuben, with homemade thousand island dressing, homemade sauerkraut my salad had papaya seed dressing. I also had the Avocado Curry Salad and that dressing was incredible.
The best fresh pineapple juice EVER.
Raw vegan frozen lilikoi mango pie for dessert. Flavor BANG off the hook.
All the customers couldn’t leave. The ladies in there before me for breakfast were recovering from their Banana Bread French Toast inside and then outside.
A couple left and came back to order new food.
One lady flew in from Honolulu looking for “dairy free and gluten free”. All the offerings are vegetarian or vegan so Honolulu lady had tons to choose from. Everyone was in and out to order more or to add a to-go order.
I’ll be back there. They had white pineapple which was the best plain pineapple I’ve ever had (yes it merited mentioning twice). They know their produce at Under the Bodhi Tree. I’ll return for raw pad thai, homemade soup, vegan mac nut pancakes, and whatever
Chef Stephen recommends!

Pros: BEST food, BEST fruit, Start your trip here

Worth the Detour - Edit

Under the Bodhi Tree offers the elements you wish all vegan-friendly restaurants did: delicious, nutrient-dense food with a focus on quality, a clean relaxing environment to enjoy it in and friendly and efficient service. I recommend the Reuben's Garden if it's your first time, along with a cup of the Kombucha they have on tap. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Nutrient-dense food, Delicious taste, Efficient Service

Delicious, excellent value - Edit

We visited this restaurant at least 3 times during our trip to Hawaii, and it was just lovely! Fresh, raw ingredients, everything made in front of you, and the kombucha and fresh juices were amazing. The prices are quite good for the quality of food and service!

Pros: Quality, Price, Service

Best breakfast in Hawaii - Edit

We found this little gem of a restaurant tucked away in the Mauna Laui resort area. I'm vegan, and my husband is primarily plant-based as well. We had the tofu scramble, mine with fresh fruit and his with the home fries, and he also ordered the multi-grain pancakes. We shared the coffee, which arrives in a french press and is enough for the two of us to share. First, the coffee is the best coffee I have ever had. I usually have to add quite a bit of coconut milk creamer and sugar to get my coffee the way I like it, and to tame the bitter taste, but not this coffee. It is freshly ground Kona coffee, and the taste is just amazing. The food is also fresh, and made to order right there where you can watch if you wish. The tofu scrambles were delicious, the fresh fruit was full of flavor, the home fries are tasty and not greasy at all. The pancakes were huge and fluffy and delicious. The strawberry jelly is organic and so good on the multi-grain toast. It was so good, we have decided that this is our breakfast spot while we are here in Waikoloa. The 2nd day we tried the vegan french toast, which did not let us down at all. I am excited to try the lunch and dinner offerings as well. The restaurant has a few tables inside, as well as a couple of tables outside. High chairs and booster seats are available for the little ones. The staff is friendly and the service is great. I can see if they were busy that it could take a few extra minutes to get your food since everything is prepared fresh and made to order. I wish I could take this place home with me!

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Excellent coffee

Cons: There's only one location

Fresh food, nice cafe - Edit

It is always nice with a strictly vegetarian/vegan place and this is one of the few on this island. They have an okay menu with a medium selection of different courses. We had a thai course which was very spicy(to spicy for our taste) and a burger. The burger was made by black beans and vegetable in a combination I had not tried before and it tasted fresh but besides that to little taste for my taste. The bun was typical american white bread and nothing special. We did not try their breakfast but it sounded interesting. There are outdoor seating though not with ocean view.
Nice fresh food which is worth a visit.

Pros: Fresh food

Cons: A little off my taste

GREAT FOOD - ATMOSPHERE - STAFF - Edit

We were quite pleased to see there is a raw vegan option on the island once again. The food was top quality, simple, and healthful. We will definitely be back! We had the seaweed salad, the pumpkin curry avocado salad (my fave), the raw gazpacho (super yummy), raw Pad Thai, fresh sauerkraut and the raw lilikoi cheesecake. All awesome!

Pros: EXCELLENT FOOD, FRIENDLY STAFF, NICE ENVIRONMENT

Cons: LIMITED RAW OPTIONS

A Vegan paradise in an omnivore world - Edit

Staying at a nearby resort, we searchedHappyCow, found Under the Bodhi Tree nestled in a nearby cluster of shops, and had a fabulous breakfast, instead of resort food we had to dissect find an edible meal. Wonderful owner, great food and atmosphere. We will be returning often during our stay, and the trip will end far too soon!
Tofu scramble, fruit platter, granola with fruit & yogurt was our first round. We'll return to try lunch and dinner.
I only wish it were waterside dining; there's nothing else that could have made our experience any more wonderful!
We are vegan, vegetarian and omnivore in our dining party. There were plenty of delicious offerings to satisfy everyone.

Pros: Good vibes, Excellent quality, taste, An V-oasis in an omnivore paradise

Return to Kamuela Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Under the Bodhi Tree closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1917 times.