CLOSED: Under One Sun

Contact 717-873-6182

34 W Philadelphia St (at Central Market House), York, Pennsylvania, USA, 17401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe and juice bar located in the Central Market House. Uses fresh ingredients including organic produce and whole grain breads. Labels vegan. Prices cheap to moderate. SEPT 2015 SHUTTING RESTAURANT THIS MONTH, CHANGING TO CATERING ONLY.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by vickiPA

Veg Friendly & Vegan Options, but could be better - Edit

I was really excited when Under One Sun opened. It is located in Central Market and originally was an all vegetarian restaurant. They added bacon to the menu and then more and more meat. I would say that it is very vegetarian friendly, but disappointingly not terribly vegan friendly. The sandwiches all contain cheese and are very centered around the cheese, leaving not a whole lot to them when you take the cheese away. There are vegan options, but they are pretty uninspired (think hummus and salads). I think that I just feel extra disappointed because I was so hopeful when they opened. Good news: there are things that you can eat! Bad news: it's nothing exciting or worth seeking out.

Pros: Juice Bar, Veg and vegan options

Cons: Fairly slow service

Yum yum yum!! - Edit

Update from some of the previous reviews here: under one sun has stopped serving vegan cheese. I got the apple a day, but with hummus instead of cheddar. It was so so good! Parents got sandwiches too and enjoyed them. Everything came with a side of tortilla chips. Wish I lived closer so I could visit again!

Pros: awesome sandwiches, friendly staff

Not 100% vegetarian, but veg*n-friendly - Edit

I visited Under One Sun 6-15-11. One of their specials was "Nitrate-free Bacon"--meat. I asked our server about this, and she explained that while they are otherwise a vegetarian restaurant, they occasionally sell meat items. Hence it is not accurate to label them as a "vegetarian" restaurant. They tell me though that the grill is always vegetarian.

My husband and I found our lunches were delicious as well as reasonably priced. I had the "Apple A Day" sandwich of grilled rice-based vegan cheese and gala apple slices on multi-grain bread. Vegans, note that the default cheese for this sandwich is cheddar and the default bread contains honey, so be sure to specify that you want this sandwich vegan. The sandwich was supposed to come with spinach on it, but they were out of spinach. Our server offered to try to find some spinach for us at the market, but I was hungry and told her not to bother.

My husband had the stir fry of fresh seasonal vegetables. They added lots of hot sauce because he loves hot sauce, and he loved this. (Note - hot sauce is completely optional!)

We were sitting next to a regular who loves the food here and recommended many items.

Other items I tried: the "Painted Pineapple" smoothie--"sweet ripened pineapple w/a medley of berries and OJ." I had our server add some bananas to this. This smoothie was good, but not spectacular. Also, they use an Oster blender so consequently was a bit less smooth than those made with a high power blender such as Vitamix. I had a gluten-free chocolate muffin which was small (about ½ cupcake sized), cost $2.75, and was dense and fallen in appearance, and just okay. I loved the raw apple pie though!

Overall, I like this place quite a bit--delicious, reasonably-priced lunches, friendly helpful staff and customers, and would not hesitate to come here again. My gripe is that they sell bacon, yet are labeled as a "vegetarian" restaurant. They are very veg*n-friendly, however, and there is no meat on the menu.

Note that they are in the Central Market, and parking is metered outside.

Pros: Delicious entrees, Friendly, helpful staff, Mostly organic food

Cons: Labelled veg but serves meat, Ran out of an ingredient, Metered parking

2 Responses

Return to York Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Under One Sun closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2382 times since Sep 2010.