Uncle Jack's Good 2 Go

Contact 732-695-3871

1580 Route 35 South, Ocean Township, New Jersey, USA, 07712

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves falafel, hummus, and salads made in-house. The only meat is tuna which is kept separately. Menu is dairy free and gluten free except for bread. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by nycvegan

Can't be trusted - Edit

I used to get take-out from Uncle Jack's about once a week until I took a bite of their black bean corn salad and spit it back out realizing there was tuna fish in it. I called the establishment to complain and make them aware that this occurred. The person on the phone took my name and number and I was told the manager would call me to discuss the matter. They never called. Bottom line, at Uncle Jack's you can't be guaranteed your food is vegetarian as long as their food station set-up remains the same.

Pros: tasty food

Cons: food gets cross-contaminated, dont seem to care about vegan customers

One of our new favorite places to go! - Edit

Good 2 Go has become one of our favorite places to go for a quick delicious and nutritious vegan meal. It's mostly falafels and hummus but there are so many choices. They have a basic falafel pita sandwich, a falafel burger, a falafel platter with freshly made falafels, warmed pitas, a large scoop of their dreamy hummus and 2 choices of salads(cucumber, cole slaw, tomato). They also have vegan soups each day, we had split pea recently which was awesome and we've tried a few others which are all very flavorful and healthy. Yes, there is tuna and chicken on the menu but you will barely notice, the hummus and falafels are the main focus. The folks who work here are always very friendly and accommodating and they willingly give you free samples.

Pros: best hummus ever had, fresh ingredients, helpful staff

Cons: nothing

Lesson learned - Edit

When they first opened the owner said they were vegan and I asked about the tuna and he replied "I guess it depends what kind of vegan you are". When they opened, the falafel was very good and the tuna was kept separately. This is no longer the case, and the tuna is kept within the same "salad bar" as the rest of the falafel and sandwich fixings. They now also serve chicken.

I recently pointed out when I saw the tuna was not only with the rest of the fixings, but in the furthest row from the server and thus not only likely to drop in the salad, but that it actually HAD dropped in two of the salads, I was told that they couldn't move it to the front row for reasons they couldn't explain.

The bottom line is that the food is good, but they care very little about vegetarians and are happy to let some tuna fall into the salad and think nothing of it.

Good2Go In over three years of business I have never responded to an online review, and I have also never had a customer complain about the location of our tuna besides you. I remember discussing this with you in the restaurant, and I’m sorry I couldn’t make you happy, but unfortunately I can’t please everyone 100% of the time. Please don’t think we don’t take our Vegan customers seriously, we respect all of our customers and work especially hard to make sure we use separate knives, utensils, and cutting boards for all our chicken. Our chicken is never cooked in our deep fryer, which is where Falafel is cooked. It is never cooked in kettles where our chick peas are cooked. It is only cooked on our grill, and we even have a separate table just for chicken. As for the positioning of the tuna in our cold bar, it is completely irrelevant, because no matter where we put the tuna there will always be a chance it can fall into another container and I would prefer not to lie to our customers and tell them it will never happen. It will happen, we have a sign up letting people know, and we have never had a problem with it. Furthermore, I am the owner and I have never told you or anyone else that we are a "Vegan Restaurant". We have had tuna since the day we opened and have always simply told people we have several vegetarian and vegan options, but we are not strictly vegan and never have been. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Return to Ocean Township Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Uncle Jack's Good 2 Go closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1144 times since Nov 2010.