CLOSED: Umi Cafe

Contact 613-656-1638

610 Somerset St W (at Chinatown), Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1R 5K4

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cooperatively run coffee shop. Has vegan cookies and muffins, gluten-free, veggie wraps, fair-trade coffee, soy-based drinks. Live music and open mic, artwork display. FEB 2015 REPORTED SHUT IN LATE 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Fast food, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by procrastinasian

Not bad, free wi-fi helps - Edit

I used to live around the corner so I think I have a pretty good idea about Umi. Some staff are pretty on top of things, some are pretty "doh".

The food is hit and miss and it depends on what's up, they never had a real consistency there, when it was good it was great, when it wasn't it was borderline bland or just *meh*

It's more of a coffee/tea place unless they have extensively overhauled the menu since I was there last.

The dipstick element can be there in full force on some days. It was very exasperating being exposed to some people's opinions at too loud volume when in there to read/study/chill with friends, but I still went because you can't blame the staff for tolerating loony tunes characters when they come out for sustenance.

Pros: not too expensive, free wi-fi, vegan treats

Cons: meh look, that dolt playing piano and singing, the creep content on occasion

Good sandwiches - Edit

I was pleased with this place! My husband and I are both vegan, and I couldn't find an Umi Cafe menu online, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. We had two different sandwiches (clearly labeled vegan on the menu), which were both delicious and a really good value. We would definitely go back. There's a very student/bohemian vibe in there, and it was really busy on a Sunday at lunchtime.

Pros: Great value, tasty food

Cons: Needs more vegan desserts

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Umi Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1430 times since Oct 2008.