Umami

+31-43-3510006

Stationsstraat 12, Maastricht, Netherlands, 6221 BP

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain modern Asian fusion restaurant. This one is located a 3-minute walk from Maastricht central station. Made to order food, mostly meats but has vegetarian dishes clearly labeled. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm, Wed-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Beer/Wine, Asian, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun

Next to Maastricht Train Station - Edit

The combination of the four vegan dishes including white rice costs 15,95 now. The dishes are tasty and original, but quite small. Moreover, if you had them once, I think you probably don't want to go there back very soon, because you would have to eat the same thing again. The staff is friendly and it is a stone's throw away of the train station.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Across the station, Original Food

Cons: Limited Options, Small Portions, Pricey

Sophisticated restaurant - Edit

I had lunch at Umami because of its good location directly across from the train station. The restaurant is very sophisticated and the interior looks so posh and perfect that I felt a bit shabby in my traveller's outfit!
I chose the Chuka Wakame (seaweed salad) and Buddha Mix (mushrooms), which were a combination lunch deal. Both dishes tasted very good and fresh, but I must admit that they were so small that after having finished I still felt very hungry, and that rarely happens to me! So I recommend that you order a combination of all dishes, as described in the first review below.

Pros: Delicious and unusual dishes, Convenient location, Great and modern interior

Cons: Very small dishes

Creative veggie fusion food in a non-veg place - Edit

When we planned our day trip to Maastricht we had some difficulties to find a vegan-friendly place for lunch - which is quite astonishing for a city which is famous for its number, quality and variety of restaurants.

"Umami" was not listed on Happy Cow yet. Eventually we found a vegan blog with a positive review of "Umami" and we decided to give it a try - also because of its convenient location right across the central station.

We arrived at noon and were the only guests at that time, maybe because having warm lunch in a restaurant is not so much a Dutch tradition.

The first pleasant surprise: the friendly waitress was a vegan!

The lunch card is not big but has 4 vegan dishes: "Chuka Wakame" (Japanese seaweed salad with cucumber), "Tropical Beetroot" (beetroot salad with tropical fruit), "Buddha Mix" (three kinds of mushrooms with celery) and "Spicy Monk" (zucchini served with tofu in a spicy tomato sauce).

The dishes are small and are supposed to be combined and shared. A combination of the four vegan dishes including white rice costs EUR 14.95 which is really not expensive.

The food was of the kind I often miss in our veggie restaurants: delicious, creative, fresh, colorful, with surprising combinations, nicely arranged in little bowels.

We did not try the dinner card, but for sure "Umami" is a good alternative when no veggie places are around - or when you just want to try something new.

Pros: delicious + creative food, friendly service

Cons: serves meat, wish they had more veg options

Return to Maastricht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Umami closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.