Ukishima Garden

Contact 0989432100

2-12-3 Matsuo, Naha, Okinawa, Japan, 900-0014

At 〒900-0014 沖縄県那覇市松尾2-12-3, this is its first restaurant; has another in Kyoto. Provides Japanese and fusion cuisine, pasta and pizza. Park at the attached garage, and validate your receipt with the restaurant. Reservations suggested. Reported fully vegan as of Nov 2016. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-4:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Japanese, Beer/Wine, European, Fusion

First Review by kim2121

Great Restaurant - Edit

Everything vegetarian, organic only. We went here two days in a row, both because it was so nice and also due to the lack of other vegetarian restaurants. I don't think at all, as others have said, that the portions were small. (Maybe they have read the critique) These portions were almost bigger than I'm used to here in Japan. I'm a big guy and I got more than plenty.

Would recommend!

Pros: Good value on the special combos, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere

Cons: Only 6 dishes (but all very good)

Delicious food, atmosphere and strong sense of kinship - Edit

I am in Naha for work and found myself feeling a bit hungry and lonely. This place is the antidote to both. Very welcoming and the food is tasty, nutritious, and creative. Highly recommend.

Amazing fusion vegan food - Edit

It's hard to find a vegan / vegetarian restaurants opening at night in Naha but luckily there's one here. The environment is super and the waiters are very nice. They do have English menu and Chinese menu. The waiter here can speak quite fluent English and there's a Taiwanese waitress speaking Mandarin as well. There won't be any difficulty in the communication.
I had a Nirai Course Dinner Set which is the most expensive one on the menu but there are 7 courses so I can take a bit of almost everything to try.
(1) Assorted Amuse: It's an assorted veggie platter. The vegetables are fresh and the sauce is amazing.
(2) Bread with olive oil
(3) Okinawa mozuku salad is made with mozuku seaweed and okra. The sourness is a good starter to arouse the taste bud and appetite.
(4) Okinawan Okura Sabji is actually a mixed vegetable curry but a cold one. It is delicious
(5) Soup is just so so. I bit too greasy and I am not sure what it is.
(6) Mushroom Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce tastes like heaven. There are lots of enoki mushroom and white clamshell mushrooms. The sauce is very creamy.
(7) Veggie Taco Rice is made with tofu mock minced meat, lettuce and rice. I picked this one because the waitress recommended it to me. It really tastes good. It's a must-eat here.
(8) Assorted Desserts include a red pitaya, chocolate cake and a vegan ice-cream (i guess it's strawberry or raspberry flavor). The vegan ice-cream is made with frozen banana that the flavor of banana is too strong which I don't like. The cake is good though. It's with strong cocoa smell and flavor and not sweet at all.

Pros: English menu and friendly staff speaking English, Excellent food, Long opening hours

Cons: A bit pricy

Leaving happy but still a little hungry... - Edit

The only veg place in Naha and with its cool atmosphere and sweet staff it's a great place. The food is great, but comes in very small portions that didn't fill me or my friend up!
So for the portion size i think it's rather expensive although the food is great but not very spicy if that's your preference.

We came here in August and did not need to book a table in advance.

Pros: Non smoking , Cool vibe , Vegetarian

Cons: Small portions , A bit overpriced

Great place to eat vegan - Edit

A very friendly place to eat. The menu is completely vegan and had a big variety. We are just sitting here and are very fond of this place. It is better to make a reservation in advance. We got a private room, very cosy.

Pros: Only vegan

Good taco rice, really fast service - Edit

On my trip to Okinawa, I decided to go here for some dinner. After a longish walk from my hotel I came to find Ukishima float cafe. I saw "Ukishima", and assumed it was the one. It was closed. After the initial disappointment, I was thrilled to find out that I had the wrong restaurant and went to the right one. They were full. I left in disappointment again.

They next day, however, I returned for lunch, undeterred. I ordered the taco rice, and an organic apple juice (which cost almost as much as the meal). The taco rice was delicious, by far the best vegan taco rice I've had (though I've never had the non-vegan version so my comparisons are limited). It was made with soy mince and topped with flaked almonds.

The meal came very quickly. I came in, ordered, ate, and left, all within about 20 minutes. I was by myself, so I was able to take in the scenery, which was all very nice.

If you're in downtown Naha, there's not really a whole lot of choices for vegans and vegetarians. This place does, somewhat, make up for it. If you go at night, though, it's probably worth making a booking.

Pros: Good food, Nice scenery, Quick service

Cons: Busy at night

content - Edit

Just finished lunch, had the taco dish. I'm not sure what more you could want! Struggled to find it but so so relieved to. Arrived in Okinawa two days ago and was really struggling to find a healthy meal. I don't speak Japanese, or understand the opening hours of places - peaceful environment, friendly staff, nice music. Wholesome food. So so content.

Great food - Edit

I disagree with the other reviewer who said the food was bland. I love the food here. The "roe" pasta is delicious, as is their tofu mozarella appetizer. The taco pizza was just okay, but I'm not a huge fan of pizza or tacos so that isn't surprising. I love this place!

Pros: Great food, All organic

Cons: Have to park far away then walk there, A bit pricey

Wouldn't go back. - Edit

The food was plated beautifully and I appreciate the organic and totally veggie menu but the flavors were very bland and only one dish was really good. Nothing was bad, but for the price, it was just MEH.

Pros: Good Location , Nicely plated food, Expensive

Cons: Bland food., Funky mix of cultures

Great Vegan Cafe - Edit

It's not hard to be the top vegetarian restaurant in Naha when you're the only one left, but I really liked this place and think it would do well even if it were in Tokyo or Kyoto. My set meal was delicious (and I thought the price was very reasonable, given the size), staff were friendly and it had a warm, inviting atmosphere. This is the place to go for dinner in Naha.

Pros: only veg restaurant in central Naha, great food, nice staff and atmosphere

Sufficient - Edit

Nice atmosphere. Good food but a little over priced compared to the portion.
They didn't bring our order together, after I finished my dish, it took them other 10 minutes to bring my boyfriend his dish. Plus, we had to remember them to clear the table between one dish and the other.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Slow service, Small portions, Overpriced

Stylish vegan dinner in tropical Okinawa - Edit

I was so happy to find this place on my business trip to Naha. From famous Kokusai dori shopping street turn to narrow street when you find Lawson and walk for about 3 min. Uses Okinawa's own special herbs and vegetables, great organic wines and Macrobiotic inspired dishes, a must go in Naha!

Lovely Evening in Okinawa - Edit

Okinawa is difficult for vegetarians, but this restaurant is a godsend. During a recent visit I tried the taco rice pizza, a platter of local vegetables with dip, and an Orion beer. It was a really great meal, and the menu was full of other vegan and vegetarian versions of local food. I really wish I had more time to go back and try all the other dishes.

The restaurant is really cute and has friendly staff who speak English. There's an open kitchen where you can see the staff working together on your food. There's also a wide selection of wine. Considering how nice the restaurant is, it could easily be pretentious, but is instead very welcoming and warm.

We spent around $30 USD for a pizza, a large appetizer, and two beers, which seemed to us to be exceedingly reasonable considering the quality of the meal and how hard it was for us to find vegetarian food in Okinawa.

Reservations are probably a good idea. It's a small place, with maybe about seven tables. We were there on a Tuesday night and half the tables were reserved. We were lucky to get a seat.

Overall, a lovely restaurant. It was distinct and had an interesting menu. Highly recommended if you're looking for a nice evening in Okinawa!

Pros: Vegetarian & Vegan Okinawan Food, Great Atmosphere

Return to Okinawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ukishima Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.