An organic wholefood shop selling a wide range of foods for vegetarians and vegans. more-less
48 Cowley Road

aisteve_
aisteve_

A Nice Shop

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2014

Popped in to have a quick look. It was ok. There are a lot of vegan options. For example mac&cheese, lasagna, burgers, cheeses and similar stuff. Bought violife cheese and was satisfied with it. The staff were not that friendly but they also were ok. All in all it is a good place for vegans, vegetarians or health concious humans.

Pros: Vegan Options, Healthy Food
Cons: Pricey
dianaf
dianaf

Overpriced and unfriendly

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

While there are some things you can get here that you can't get elsewhere in Oxford I think I'm going to start buying things online or at Vcross in London. Most things are extremely overpriced compared to London prices (where the rent for shop space is almost certainly higher). Once I arrived during their opening times and the whole family was in the shop but refused to let me and another customer in because their cashier was running late. We waited another 15 minutes. Another time I gave my boyfriend a kiss on the forehead and the shop owner asked us to "take it outside" as we were "making her uncomfortable". My housemate called the shop to ask if they stocked something and they refused to tell him the price of the item on the phone. Also, I went there for months and the service has always been brusque and unfriendly. Among my friends the consensus is the staff here disrespect their customers perhaps because they think we have no other options. Hopefully a friendlier and more reasonably priced vegetarian food store opens up in Oxford because we won't be visiting Uhuru again.

Pros: Stocks some hard to find vegan items, Nice looking shop
Cons: Overpriced , Extremely unfriendly service
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Uhuru - Oxford Warriors

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

So happy that "Uhuru" is still open & selling great food / ingredients / other fun things. Read & re-read their booklets back in 1977. Hitchhiked to visit them in 1978. Bought multiple copies & presented them to friends. Thank you "Uhuru". A great place with a long history of educating seekers & promoting kindness to all creatures!

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

great soups and good range of products

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

Good range of products. Delicious, hearty, vegan soups: red lentil and vegetable; spicy black bean and vegetable. I also had a (cold) spicy bean pasty (vegan).

Pros: vegan soups, vegan treats
Gastroplodder
Gastroplodder

Uhuru's Great!

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

I often visit Uhuru on my way back from work to pick up vegan staples, soya milk, desserts, Realeat, Suma peanut butter, etc etc, they've got a good selection and while not as cheap as Holland & Barrett they're not that steep and have some interesting stock.

They have an tasty array of fresh 'ready meals' - bean curries - that sort of thing produced by Laura's kitchen.

Mostly though I enjoy their home made vegan pasties; spring rolls, pakoras and especially the big slabs of chocolate coconut flapjack (mentioned by another reviewer).

mayela
mayela

Thanks Uhuru!

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

Friendly and helpful staff, try to avoid busy times like lunchtime if you want special attention. They sell a selection of healthy snacks like bean salads, pastries, and hot soup.

Uhuru has a long tradition in Oxford and caters for vegans all year long while other places are happy to reduce or even remove their vegan selection to put on display seasonal items such as those for Halloween or Christmas.

Things might be a bit more expensive than in Holland and Barrett or Tesco and Sainsbury's but you can be sure to find more variety and better attention in this independent shop than in big-chain supermarkets.

Pros: healthy, organic, friendly
pisceschic
pisceschic

Great find

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

I was excited to find a vegan pastry in Oxford while on vacation from the U.S. I had a delicious coconut chocolate flapjack, as it's called. I highly recommend this store for a vegan/organic alternative to the traditional grocery store.

Pros: vegan pastries, friendly staff
Cons: small selection, no place to sit
Guest
Guest

Uhuru

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2007

Uhuru certainly sells excellent food. But what is sold is obviously overpriced. You can get many of the same products for much less in other venues. Some stuff are grumpy. Not all.

Dear Owner and Manager of Uhuru Wholefoods: