First Review by erbavore

hit and miss - Edit

This place is pretty unpredictable. Sometimes good, other times disappointing. Weird institutional cafeteria atmosphere and an extensive south Indian vegetarian menu but nothing really stands out. The paper dosas aren't bad neither is the samosa chaat... But stay away from the tandoori.

Pros: decent food, decent price

Cons: terrible atmosphere, some bad menu items

A Real Find - Edit

I am unable to have Thali in my city because none of the Indian restaurants serve it so this was a great treat to find it when we were in Toronto and I will return there when we visit next. I had the vegan South Indian Thali and it was great with just the right amount of spice throughout. While the restaurant lacked an intimate atmosphere, the food made up for it and it was great value for the money. Unfortunately, they do not serve alcohol but you cannot have everything.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Good service

my TO fav - Edit

My new favorite in TO (after sad demise of the Bo Da Duyen and Gujurat Durbar). Amazingly helpful staff. Great food. Super value. It's not all vegan, but they know what vegan is and are quick to help with selection.

Pros: Service, Price, Atmosphere

Great food! - Edit

I love south Indian cuisine and udupi palace is a great example. The food has the signature spice. Service is super fast. I love the thali although my only complaint is the roti with the thali seems store bought. But the curries more than make up for it!

Pros: curries, fast service

Cons: decor

Man that's spicy! - Edit

I went here with my sister and parents, all Indian lovers, and we really enjoyed our meals. The soup was soooo spicy that 3 of us who are complete spice lovers could not finish! There were some interesting things on the menu that I hadn't seen before at other Indian restaurants. Very large, casual, bustling place. I would definitely go back.

Pros: spice, variety, innovation

Very oily - Edit

Contrary to what the previous reviewer said, there is a fair number of South Indian restaurants in the GTA. Some are reviewed elsewhere, like Saravana Bhavan.

Udupi Palace is huge, with tables spaced quite far apart. You could do some ballroom dancing in the open area it's so spacious. Not a very welcoming interior though. It's sunken in a half-basement and bare.

The service wasn't bad. The server was very aware of what was vegan.

The food was quite oily. I had the Vegetable Uthapam (pancake) and my partner got the Thali (#46). I much prefer Saravana Bhavan - it's far less oily and the vegan selection is more diverse.

Tasty, filling, and good value - Edit

There are not that many South Indian restaurants in Canada, so I was pleased to find Udupi.

My brother and I ate there recently and each had a paper masala dosa, shared an onion pakora, and I had a mango lassi.

The food was tasty, the service was excellent, and the bill was very reasonable. The food is more expensive than India--until you factor in the plane trip! Masala dosas are around $6 and paper dosas around $8.

The ambience isn't great, but the food more than makes up for it!

I will definitely be returning.

Pros: good value, good service, healthy cuisine

Cons: mediocre ambiance

Amazing and very affordable - Edit

I love Udupi Palace. Yes, the decor is a little lacking in warmth, but who cares when the food is so good? Great selection for vegans and vegetarians alike and the service is always excellent. My fiance and I ate there recently and our total bill including a 20% tip was under $30 for both of us including non-alcoholic drinks. We were both stuffed! Where else in Toronto can two people eat so well for so little money and the food is some of the best we've had too. I highly recommend the h'or douvres platter - lots of variety. If you don't like it hot though, you might want to scrape the seeds out of the chili pakora - it's basically a battered, fried whole green chili pepper. The dosa's are also excellent as is the Chana Masala.

Pros: Delicious food, Large menu with lots of variety, attentive service

Cons: decor is a little sterile/bland/cold

Udipi is usually great - Edit

Just to let you know, this is a SOUTH INDIAN Restaurant Chain. It is COMPLETELY different than 99% of all other Indian Restaurants. The reason is that the South Indians are MUCH more laid back and don't really try to immigrate to Canada/America. While the North Indians know how to work the system. Especially the Gujuarti's. Toronto is VERY lucky to have this SOUTH INDIAN chain in town.

South Indian Food is amazing.

We had the food at the veggie food fair. It's understandable that the food wasn't up to 100%. They forgot to salt the potato's in the Dosa. Ooops :).

I'm still giving 5 stars because this Chain is AMAZING everytime we've had it in the various cities around the U.S.

Pros: Type of Food, Quality of Food, Price

Cons: none

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udupi Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1612 times since Aug 2007.