Udupi Palace - SF

• Vegetarian
Contact 415-970-8000

1007 Valencia St (at Mission District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94110

San Francisco Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Extensive selection of dosa crepes filled with spiced stuffing and food like idly, samosa, uthappam, thali and curries. Has another location in Berkeley

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Delivery, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Seitan_Nic

We didn't eat there in the end because it's hard to identify the vegan items on the menu - Edit

I just want to say that we didn't eat there because it's hard to identify the vegan items on the menu.
They say all non vegan items are marked with a star (*). At first glance I was happy because below 5% of the items on the menu were marked.
However while looking more carefully I noticed there were a lot of dishes containing ghee butter, paneer cheese or cream NOT marked as non vegan, missing the non vegan star (*).
Also both deserts are non vegan and not marked as such.
So, I asked our server about this and it seemed he was very knowledgeable about what vegan means and possibly also about vegan and non vegan items. He was very friendly and told us he will let the owner know about the confusing menu.
But because of this I just didn't trust the place so we didn't eat there in the end.
I will give it 2 stars because of the confusing menu.

Pros: friendly server

Cons: hard to say which item is vegan and which not

Outstanding - Edit

We were on our way to Herbivore, but looked through the window and couldn't believe the food. We went in, and it was incredible. All vegetarian, and mostly vegan. Try the dosas. Never had one, but they are a must try.

Pros: Delicious, Good Service, Reasonable prices

my favorite place for vegan gf Indian - Edit

Lovely menu with wonderful happy people working here. The sambar is delicious. The fried idli is too. They have tons of gluten free options too, just avoid the semolina flour items. Everything else is rice and lentil flour. Please tell them you are vegan and they will not use ghee. The staff is very knowledgable. Items that are NOT vegan are marked on the menu. It seems like they are always open - even Christmas and thanksgiving day. They deliver through grub hub. I love this place.

Pros: amazing food - mostly vegan and gluten free , low prices and great hours, friendly service

Cons: cash only, not 100% vegan, gf items not marked on the menu

Very authentic south Indian - Edit

Udupi Palace seems like one of the most authentic Indian restaurants in SF. You're served on metal trays, and the dosas are huge, thin, and legit. It's pretty small inside and has something of the kind of atmosphere you find in restaurants in south asia. I certainly wouldn't use the word tranquil to describe it, but I've never found it too loud to enjoy a meal.

This area is a bit hard to park in so leave yourself extra time if you're driving.

Pros: Authentic, Tasty

Well-Spiced Indian Cuisine - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to eat here on a recent trip to San Francisco. Here's my Udupi Palace review.

It's located on a busy area of Valencia alongside other restaurants. The interior is causal, simple, with dark cherry furniture and some Indian decor. The menu offered a variety of dishes, from which I picked samosas and a vegetable biryani.

The samosas were okay--spicy but not too salty. The vegetable biryani is an aromatic basmati rice pilaf, and it was rather spicy but well-spiced; i really enjoyed the spices and the flavor.

I saw an Indian family eating there, so that must be a good sign that its authenticity pleases also Indians. Non-Indian guests were also present.

Pros: all veg, good use of spices, friendly

Cons: can be very spicy

Udupi Palace - Edit

Yes, they have excellent food there but I did find it very noisy. I like to be able to relax when I go out for dinner but this wasn't a good place to do that. It was quieter taking san francisco tours and going on a walking restaurant tour in the city. I thought the traffic noise would be really bad but the truth is that some restaurants have an unbelievable noise level.

Pros: good food, loud environment, good service

Great food, terrible noise - Edit

This is a great Indian restaurant for dosa and mango lasi. The customer service is friendly and attentive. The water glasses are constantly filled. The restaurant is clean and nicely arranged. However, it has been extremely crowded and noisy the last 3 times we came in early evenings of Tuesday or Wednesday. My husband and I will never come to this restaurant again because of the busy crowd. Noise and crowd are the only reason that Udupi gets 3 happy cows instead of 5 happy cows. I wish there is more noise insulation or thinner crowd.
All that said, if you don't mind the crowd and noise, you should go to this restaurant for cheap and tasty dosa and attentive customer service. If you hate noise and crowd, Golden Era, Doobu Tofu House, Tao Cafe are better alternatives.

Pros: good dosa, good customer service, cleanliness

Cons: extreme noise, extreme crowd

Excellent South Indian food! - Edit

Came here for dinner last night, food was soooo delicious! (OK, maybe we were just too starving.) But seriously, the uttapam was the best one I've ever had. The ingredients just tasted so fresh. The paratha was very good too. Lucky we came here early, the place started to get busy and a little noisy while we were eating. I very rarely go to a restaurant twice when traveling, but I think I might have to make an exception for this one!

Pros: great food, good portions

Cons: noisy

GREAT VEGETARIAN INDIAN FOOD IN SAN FRANCISCO! - Edit

Finally a vegetarian South Indian Restaurant in San Francisco's Mission District! The service is good, the prices are reasonable and the food is outstanding. Menu items are not marked vegan but they do have plenty of options, just ask your server. They are very helpful. I've been there just once so far but I can't wait to go back!

Pros: GREAT FOOD!, Good prices/large portions, Nice room, friendly service

Cons: So far, So good.

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udupi Palace - SF closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4026 times since Jul 2008.