Udupi Palace

Contact 562-860-1950

18635 Pioneer Blvd (at Little India), Artesia, California, USA, 90701

One of the longest standing vegetarian Indian restaurants in the section of "Little India" on Pioneer Blvd. The extensive menu features South Indian vegetarian cuisine: dosas, chaat and appetizers, uthappam, curries, rice, various bread, side dishes and Indian desserts.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by jerry

Delicious South Indian fare - Edit

This is a great place, and very often full during meal hours. The staff was courteous but got their hands full once the swarms of families started coming in - but this is a good sign. What we should have done is waited a little longer and just told the staff to give us everything our neighboring tables were ordering! The breads all look fantastic and were huge!
We've had the thali there, along with dosa, idli, and uthapam. Thali is always a great way to get a sampling of things if you can't decide (me), although I'm not often a fan of the soup varieties.
The dosa was flavorful and they will ask you how hot you want it. The uthapam was basically a really hearty fancy pancake.
I'll have to go back again to keep working down the menu...

Pros: flavorful, great varieties, filling

Best South Indian Food in Little India - Edit

The Channa Bhaurra is really huge as well as many different types of Dosas. I have been going to India since 1975 and this is close to the food there. Good service. A good indication as when you go to a Chinese restaurant and see only Asians, you will see mostly Indians here. Love it. See my profile for my credentials.

Not great, Not bad - Edit

This is a typical Udupi restaurant that is middling and average. The key to a good South Indian restaurant is the masala in the dosa. That says it all. Here the masala was disappointing as with most Udupi places in the USA. The only exception is Saravana Bhavan. However, the lassi was superior, and so was the idly and the vada. The masala tea again was the typical milky concotion served in most Indian restaurants that resembles rabri more than tea.

Pros: Value

Cons: Authenticity

Udupi Palace Rules - Edit

I love this place. The wait staff are always friendly and willing to answer questions. They'll explain anything from what something is to how to go about eating it. For that reason it's great for the uninitiated. I've taken many friends (almost all meat-eaters) to this place - they invariably come away saying something like, "Whoa that was great," and "I didn't even think about missing meat." Udupi Palace sets a pretty high standard.

The food is always hot, fresh, and delicious. Poori are great. Chana Batura is a must. Dosas are top-notch. Sambar, very, very good. Thali is well above average. Palak paneer is excellent although a couple of times I've chomped on a cardamom pod - that's not bad, but it can be a little surprising. If you tell them you want spicy they actually make your food spicy, and I don't mean "white guy" spicy.

It's maybe a little more fun going to UP when it's packed with people because of the energy and vibe. Even if I go for take-out during off-hours, the servers will hang out and chat. UP is possibly my favorite South Indian place.

In short, don't miss Udupi Palace.

Pros: Awesome dosas, Friendly wait staff, Great vibe when it's busy

Knowledgeable, friendly staff! - Edit

Went here a month or so ago for lunch. My first experience with Indian food, happened to be in the neighborhood. The waiter was very helpful answering questions about dishes and pointed out 2 curry dishes that were vegan. Ordered one with spinach that was very tasty. They have lunch specials. Plenty of parking on the street or in the lot behind the restaurant. Definately will visit again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, Vegan options

"" MORE SAMBAR """ - Edit

Indeed the best southindian vegetarian food in Losangeles.
We tried the dosas , uthapam ( panckaes) thali, it was great. The food is so tasty and the service really compliments with it as well as a simple decor with a reasonable price. Its worth a treat.
The staff is so friendly and courteous helpful.
i felt like home.
we will definately go back .

Pros: food, service, price

Cons: wine

Return to Artesia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udupi Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1824 times since Aug 2007.