Udupi Cafe

Contact 425-401-2009

14625 NE 24th St (at Overlake square mall), Bellevue, Washington, USA, 98007

Indian restaurant specializing in South Indian cuisine. Has many vegan option in the lunch buffet as well on the menu. Family friendly. Offers a lunch buffet, coupons on their site. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Sparkledustpajamas

disappointing - Edit

The food is good but the price has gone up for no reason. The ambience and the décor are non-existent. The place doesn't look impressive and clean but they have hiked up the buffet price !!!

Pros: good South indian food, Good service

Cons: No ambience, No decor, Buffet is overpriced @ 14.99

Closed for renovations in November - Edit

We stopped by earlier this month but found a sign saying it's closed for renovations, so call to check if/when it reopens. We have enjoyed the doses here. Also nice tamarind rice and lemon rice dishes. Authentic flavors and most of the customers are Indian. I heard an Indian customer say dishes were too salty to the server and asked for less salt when ordering.

Pros: dosas, authentic

Cons: may need to ask for less salt

Love this place!!! - Edit

First of all this place is really far from our house but we still will travel more than an hour to go! Great prices great food. I love the menu it is huge and says what is vegan and what is vegetarian (they serve no meat) - I LOVE not having to ask! The food is very good and healthy. The service is friendly and fast.

Pros: Big Menu, Lots of room, vegan/veg

Cons: atmosphere , 3-5:30 closed

good lunch buffet w a dosa -- update: dirty - Edit

We had an excellent $8 lunch buffet. The vegan items were all clearly labelled as such. The buffet includes an excellent dosa. Everything was wonderfully flavored. The hostess was very nice and reassuring about all things vegan. It is Southern Indian, which we enjoy.

We hope to try this place for dinner at some point. We suggest you do the same; if not a lunch.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 16, 2011

We won't be back, its dirty.
The dinner is a waste of time and money.
The place is too dirty and we won't be back. From the plates on the bar, to the seating areas, it is just not to standard. If you check out "cleanly", an app that discloses inspections, you won't want to go.

Pros: $8 lunch, w dosa, nice staff

Cons: DIRTY

so yummy! - Edit

I've been here multiple times for the lunch buffet and brought Omni friends with me, and they've all loved it. The hostess is very nice and each time I come in and explain that I am vegan, and she walks me through the buffet and points out everything that is vegan. (Usually most of it's labeled too but some things aren't). It's all vegetarian, and usually 50-75% of it is vegan too depending on the day. Then she also brings us roti to our table since the naan is not vegan, so that we have vegan bread. :) She speaks English pretty well, but in the experiences I've had so far, the rest of the servers (who mostly just refill water during the lunch buffet) don't speak english or understand it much at all. That's ok though, I just ask the hostess if I have questions.
The dosa is amazing, and included when you get the buffet (they bring it to you), and the rest of the food is wonderful too! I always stuff myself here. I recommend it to everyone.

Pros: wonderful food, kind hostess, understands veganism, good price/value buffet

Cons: communication difficulties with servers, some dishes a bit too spicy for me!

Excellent South Indian vegetarian restaurant! - Edit

My son, husband, and I visited Udupi Cafe for their lunch buffet while on vacation. As vegetarians, we were in heaven - there were approximately seven entrees available, three of them vegan. (Each vegan item was labeled.) The buffet included the entrees, soups, naan, rice, chai, one (masala) dosa and rice pudding (which we didn't try - we were too full by then). We tried most of the dishes - all were flavorful and most were what I would call "medium+ spicy" (to a person from the US).

I see that on another popular restaurant review website, Udupi Cafe has several low ratings along with some glowing ones. It looks like the most of the negative reviewers visited for dinner. I can't speak to their comments about the lack of service except to say that our experience was totally positive. A few tidbits from our experience.... My son really wanted a dosa and when we saw the buffet, we asked if we could order a dosa from the dinner menu. The host told us that a "small" dosa was included with the buffet, and ours arrived a few minutes later. (We could hear the host telling the cook to prepare them, so I know they were fresh!) I'll let you decide from looking at the photo whether they are small. (I didn't - not as a side dish for the buffet anyway.) We had arrived fairly early and there were no soup bowls out. I asked if there were any available and the host apologized profusely, then brought them out to the buffet table right away.

Oh, I should comment about the decor - there isn't any. The restaurant is in a former strip mall storefront and it sort of looks like they just opened - very plain and white. Some of the furniture looks well-used. But our table and chairs were sturdy, and the food was hot and v-e-r-y tasty. I'd rather have this combination than lovely decor and bland food. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I would be a regular if I lived nearby.

Pros: spiciness, variety, dosa!

Cons: decor

My favorite Veg Indian Joint! - Edit

This is my updated review. After my initial unpleasant experience roughly six months ago with a breakfast buffet, I decided to give this place another chance. Am I ever glad I did! Last month, I had dinner at Udupi. It was amazingly good. I tried a very spicy south Indian crepe and a curried eggplant dish which is made from scratch on order. I was so impressed with dinner, that I decided to try their lunch buffet a few days later. This too, was a vast improvement. They have a balanced selection of both vegetarian and vegan dishes. I've tried all the vegan items and found most to be delicious and well seasoned. Fast forward to present day. I eat at this place so much I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff. They are all very nice people, attentive and happily accept special requests. The pricing is very reasonable and a great value for the quality of food that is served. They are open till 1am for the Friday and Saturday night munchies crowd. The sole criticism I have for Udupi, is there are no vegan dessert options. They all have dairy in them. If you are vegan with a sweet tooth, you won't have it satisfied here. Then again, if you are being mindful of your figure by avoiding sweets of any kind, then you'll likely appreciate there is nothing sweet for you here. I'm really happy I decided to come back as they are now my all time favorite lunch and dinner restaurant in on the eastside.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 10, 2012

Pros: Convenient, Cheap, delicious freshly made food!

Cons: no vegan desserts

Return to Bellevue Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udupi Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3617 times since May 2011.