First Review by pepperka

Really Great! - Edit

This is a wonderful place. Happened upon it by chance when driving on the way to the temple at the top of the hill. Very unassuming appearance, but the food is phenomenal. We definitely recommend starting with a mango shake or lassi, and the chili pakora. Both are amazing. So are the main courses - favorites being the chole batura or the poori subji. Nice dosas too, and the thali is overwhelming in size. But everything is good, delicious, nice quality, good price, authentic flavor. Though the outside doesn't look like much, the food is wonderful. And the food comes out so fast. We have made the 80 minute trip to Pittsburg JUST to come to the restaurant. Well worth the trip, every time.

Pros: Very extensive menu, Authentic South Indian Dishes, Very quick service

Cons: Appearance, Closed for part of the afternoon

Best Southern Indain Food in the US - Edit

I read the other reviews - mostly 5 cows. This place rocks!!! My wife & I had a celebration meal fit for a Raj! Service was great - the manager waited on us. The utensils and plates were stainless steel - hello! I wish I lived in Pittsburgh, I'd be here every week. Very happy with this restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, healthy food, clean place

Cons: entrance doors

south indian awesomness - Edit

If you like south indian food this place is not to be missed. Its definitely worth finding in its unsuspecting location (down a small road next to something like a cement pouring machine), and don't let the extremely bare look of the inside fool you--the food is absolutely amazing.

The dosas are always the perfect texture and large enough to be a meal no problem. They have other great options too, but since they have such a great variety of dosas I only occasionally venture to other foods. I've been coming here since they opened years and years ago. Many vegan options. The sauces are all delicious and taste fresh.

(don't come here expecting a fine dining atmosphere! For that you can go to one of the many other indian restaurants in Pittsburgh, none of which rival the quality of udipi's veg options. Come here for the food!)

Pros: yummy dosas :), friendly staff, inexpensive

Return to Monroeville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udipi Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2010 times.