Udipi Cafe

Contact 678-584-5840

3300 Peachtree Industrial Rd, Duluth, Georgia, USA, 30096

Indian restaurant. Formerly Banaras. Offers promotions. Open Mon 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon 5:00pm-10:00pm, Wed 11:30am-3:00pm, Wed 5:00pm-10:00pm, Thu 11:30am-3:00pm, Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Fri-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by sam-i-am

It's Okay - Edit

I frequent the buffet at the Upidi in Smyrna so I thought this one would be comparable. There's no buffet here. I was told by the waiter that everything in one section of the menu was "no diary" but on closer inspection I saw items with cheese. After inquiring again I was told that most items had either butter or cheese. He did not offer to make these items vegan for me. I ate a crepe that was vegan-friendly and good, but I do not know that I will return here anytime soon.

Udipi - Edit

Hello,

I noticed a bit of the same thing as the first reviewer- the staff are very reluctant to change the menu! I like the dosai with the chickpeas instead of the potatoes, but they flat out told me they can't do that (ok, maybe it's not be the traditional way to eat it, but still...). Anyway, they reluctantly agreed. I go there a lot with my family. Very tasty and cheap food (albeit quite oily).

Pros: cheap, tasty, vegan-friendly

Cons: oily

New Owner/Management RUDE!!! 3 strikes you're out! - Edit

Udipi, in Duluth GA, was GREAT when it was Banaras (sp?). I returned when it changed names and ownership. The first time was just ok. Service was not great and I was not impressed with the way mgmt. treated their water server/bus girl. The food was good but they refused to assist with my vegan concerns.
Went a second time. Service was great if you were from India. I waited a very long time to order but noticed "others" were being catered to. It irritated me and before I left, I wrote them a very nice "letter" and made them aware of my concerns. I had actually planned on never returning again.
Third visit, not my choice, one of my very best friends is Middle Eastern and wanted to try Indian food for the first time. So we went. It was a nightmare!!! They treated her so horribly, I wanted to get up and leave. For example: She asked for a side of tofu and they refused to bring it to her, saying "That does not go with that (menu item) it is not served that way." I asked "Can you just put some tofu in a bowl and bring it out...we will pay for it?" He said "No" and walked away. My friend got up and went to the bathroom and I called the owner over and told him that I knew he could go in the kitchen, get a bowl, and put tofu in it. That I was aware it was not how they served the dish but it was what she wanted. He said "I will do it." He was irritated. My friend came out at the end of that conversation and told him "No, it's okay. I'm fine. Don't worry about it I will eat it the way you want me to." When he brought it, it was without the tofu. Sad...

I WILL NEVER EVER RETURN THERE AGAIN!

Pros: location, location, location

Cons: Horrible Service, Not the best Indian food, The new decor is unwelcoming

Return to Duluth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udipi Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2139 times since Sep 2008.