Uchenna

Contact 719-634-5070

2501 W Colorado Ave Unit 108 (at 25th St), Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 80904

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small place that serves fresh Mediterranean and Ethiopian food, around 70% organic. The owner Maya makes the injera (traditional Ethiopian bread) fresh daily with whole grain teff.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Mediterranean, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by 4moby

A Place for an Experience. - Edit

This restaurant is definitely worth visiting. The owner is very passionate about her food and enjoys checking up on her patrons as they taste her cooking. I tried the vegetarian sampler because I could not choose a single dish to commit to. I was so happy I chose this because I enjoyed every sample! I also was very appreciative of how knowledgeable the staff was about veganism as well as how friendly and caring they were. It was like I was walking into their living room, not a restaurant.

Sweet, little place,; needs some menu updating - Edit

Ethiopian is our favorite food. We were excited to find one in the Springs during our recent visit. The restaurant is cozy and inviting, and the staff is very friendly.

We ordered the vegan platter for 2. The Injera bread was delicious however, the three options consisted of pureed lentis, two kinds and a kind of spiced sauce. Basically, it was like eating baby food. Where are the mushrooms, the beets, other great Ethiopian options that you can actually chew?

The seasonings were great, but I left feeling left than satiated. I hope they add more options.

On another note - the lighting does not coincide with their cozy, little restaurant. The lighting is fluorescent and very harsh. Little lamps on the table would be much more suited.

Pros: Cozy, Great staff, Delicious Injera, good seasonings

Cons: Needs more substanial dishes, Harsh lighting

Awesome! - Edit

The food here is great, and the owner is a gem as well. There is a very cozy feel to this small restaurant, and it is typically busy when I have gone there (twice now). Highly recommended, especially if you are vegetarian or vegan, as there are not a whole lot of places in the area that cater to veg/vegans. Highly suggested!

Pros: Delicious food, Cozy atmosphere, Friendly staff

Lovely place, lovely owner - Edit

Maya is a truly beautiful human being, and each and every time I've been in her restaurant I've been welcomed in as if I was family. I've taken a few different people with me on trips down to The Springs and each one has raved about what a great experience they've had.

The food is incredible - flavorful and spicy, they have a gluten-free injera option, and it's all made fresh to order. Last time we were there, my husband ordered the Ripe Tomato for an appetizer and wowza! I don't know what she does to the tomato, but it is so full of flavor.

The only thing you should know is that service can be a bit slow. Go in prepared to relax and enjoy your company. They are lightly staffed, but it is well worth the wait.

This place is a gem in Old Colorado City. Don't miss it!

Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Incredible food, Welcoming owner, Gluten free injera option

Cons: service can be slow

Delish! - Edit

My husband and I went for lunch yesterday, it's was so good, we didn't even leave a trace of food on the plates, the owner welcomed us with a sample of delicious rose water infused lemonade and orange tea, they were so good, make sure when u r there to get one of those. They have vegetarian and vegan options, they've got yummy dessert too! Loved it!

I love this place! - Edit

Uchenna is a wonderful little place in Old Colorado City. My husband and I tried it on a weekend getaway to CO Springs. Maya, the chef, was kind and made us feel like the only people in her cafe even though the place was packed! The food was wonderful! I recommend this for vegans, vegetarians, and even meat-eaters. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Wonderful food, Caring service, Fresh food

Cons: Small location

Delicious experience - Edit

So far I've only eaten here once, but I was so impressed with the food, I can't wait to come back. I had the misser wat with injera bread, which I enjoyed so much! I can't wait to try more.

Pros: Delicious, authentic food, relaxing atmosphere

Cons: Slower service

amazing experience! - Edit

Maya really made us feel welcomed to her restaurant as soon as we got there. She was very polite and warm. She gave us samples of her homemade drinks when we sat down, and she let us have a sample of one of the dishes we were thinking about ordering. The food was amazing. There are lots of vegetarian and vegan options, and her injera (teff pancake) is amazing. She even showed us the proper way to eat our dish with our hands. You can definitely tell she prepares her food with love and care. Overall, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had and will definitely be back to visit Maya and taste the wonderful food from her kitchen.

Pros: excellent service, great tasting food, portions not oversized

A real gem - Edit

We love this place. We always order the vegetarian platter. It is so satisfying and filling. I cannot say enough about how great this place is. Maya is a darling, she always smiles, caters to everyone and is a warm loving person. Our toddler son adores her.
The food is consistently good, never out of the dozen of times we have eaten here have we had one complaint about anything.
You must try this place, you will not regret your decision. If you have never had ethopian food and want to try it, this is the real authentic thing.

Pros: excellent food, warm staff, accomodating

Return to Colorado Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Uchenna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2419 times since Mar 2011.