Twist Cafe and Vegetal

Contact +34-984190951

Calle de San Bernardo 18, Gijon, Spain,

Serves meat, vegan options available. A vegetarian restaurant that sits at the base floor of a common Spanish cafeteria that serves meat. Menu in the restaurant is vegetarian only with vegan options. A set price meal which includes an entree, a drink and dessert. Located in a warm dim cellar, is decorated with old furniture, pianos and some antiques.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by anarchistanimal

Heaven for Vegans, and Our Omni Friends Too! - Edit

I was in Gijón a few days ago, working as a musician on a one-nighter. I was impressed to find that Spain has changed, and that it's now easy to find vegan food. Not just anything, but of a very high standard. I started with minestrone, and then went onto stuffed pepper - all so tasty. The service was friendly, helpful and attentive, and the rustic atmosphere was also very enjoyable.

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere

breakfast - Edit

Arrived at breakfast time but only one veggie option of toast, very nice though and good to have the option of soya milk. Checked out the substantial veggie lunch/dinner menu and it looked great, only wish we hadn't been leaving that morning. Great location and venue, I can imagine this place being very atmospheric of an evening.

Vegan Food in Gijon at Twist & Vegetal - Edit

Twist & Vegetal is a mid price restaurant spread over 3 floors. Nice and roomy, with an extensive vegetarian menu. Our Spanish is embarrassingly poor but the friendly staff understood that we were vegan and showed us the options that were available or that they could prepare fresh. Very accommodating.
The food was very tasty and fresh, although a tad 'old school' (I had stuffed aubergine my partner opted for stuffed roast pepper).
A pleasant evening in a nice atmosphere. The place would certainly benefit from labelling vegan options on the menu and maybe offering more contemporary meals.
I would certainly recommend Twist & Vegetal.

Pros: Friendly service, Pleasant atmosphere , Vegan options

Cons: Also sells meat, Vegan options a bit 'old school', Vegan options not clear on the menu

Satisfying - Edit

The vegetarian menu del dia is tasty and good value, with about 1/3 vegan options. The food is wholesome and filling with Moroccan and European themes. We had an Arabic salad (greens, dried fruit and nuts), vegetable soup, soy meatballs, and stuffed tomatoes. The mains came with rice and cous cous. The vegetarian restaurant is downstairs in the day time, but upstairs at night. It was busy at lunch when we went, but very quiet when we returned in the evening the next day. The upstairs cafe is huge, the downstairs restaurant a bit more intimate. The staff are friendly. A nice place, perhaps needs a few more vegan options.

Pros: Wholesome food, Moroccan and Spanish themes, 1/3 vegan options

Cons: Needs more vegan options

Return to Gijon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Twist Cafe and Vegetal closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1059 times since Dec 2011.