Tushita Teehaus

Contact 089-18975594

Klenzestr. 53 (at near Gärtnerplatz), Munich, Germany, 80469

Vegan restaurant and organic tea house. Small and cozy. Offers vegan cakes, rice bowl with veggies, and also sells organic teas and tea accessories. Reservation is recommended for busy meal times. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm, Sat 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, European

First Review by dietrich

Lovely Lunch - Edit

We came here for lunch on our first (rainy) day in Munich, and it was just lovely. The staff were extremely helpful, speaking great English and offering to help us with the menu. They had one dish of the day, which was a delicious basmati rice bowl with cauliflower, tofu, asparagus, olives, tomatoes. We had the small portion, at 9 euro each, which was really filling. I also had a green tea & soy milk iced latte, very refreshing. Lovely atmosphere, very relaxing, but quite small.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Small, One dish of the day

beautiful food and tee in wonderful atmosphere - Edit

I love Tushita-Teehaus
a wonderful place to go with friends and enjoy especially in winter it is extremely cosy. Have a tee and something to eat (lunch options or a cake) and enjoy.
I had an avocado Lemon Pie and it was just amazing :)

Lovely place - Edit

Lovely cafe with friendly staff, amazing selection of cakes, teas.
Option to have hot or cold breakfast and then at 12pm the rice bowl of the day.
Relaxing and happy ambience

Pros: Staff and atmosphere

Cons: Rice bowl not available until 12

One of munich's best - Edit

Tushita serves one daily meal and you will never be disappointed. It is always a mixture of different vegetables, salad, rice or other grains as well as some tofu or tempeh.
You can choose between a small or a big portion.
If you are looking for a fresh vegan meal Tushita is the right place to be. If you want some meat substitute you should look for another restaurant.
Tushita calls itself a tea house and their selection of japanese teas is great, although ordering a matcha can be disapointing depending of who is preparing it. I had perfecty wisked matcha as well as a watery unintresting one. But this is realy the only negative thing I have to say about this small restaurant/tea house.
If you want to get there around noon, making a reservation is a good idea as they only have about 20 places.

Pros: Great food, Nice vide, Excellent teas

Cons: Often crowded (but still a nice vibe)

The best place to be - Edit

Last saturday, I had a short trip to munich with my boyfriend, so I searched at Happy Cow for a nice place to eat.
Fortunately, I decided to go to the Tushita Teehaus because it was near to the Viktualienmarkt where I had been before.
I ordered a green detox smoothie and the rice bowl of the day. It was...AMAZING. The food is not only vegan but healthy,too. Many greens, nice vegetables, rice. That's it.
The staff was so friendly, it felt like being home.
Go there and go vegan! ♥

Pros: friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, delicious food

Great drinks and food - Edit

We went to Tushita Teehaus on a warm summer day for lunch and a cold drink. Both were very creative and delicious!

As the name suggests, the Tushita Teehaus serves an incredible variety of teas as well as drinks using tea (i.e. Iced Chai/Matcha...). The tea menu was so extensive, it was a little confusing. I'm sure the staff would've helped us to choose if we'd asked, though.

The food was delicious and seemed pretty healthy. There's always a bowl of the day consisting of rice and several additions. What's great is that you get so many different components in one dish. In our case this was dill rice, some kind of guacamole, marinated bell peppers, cucumber raita, mango-curry-tofu and melon with tarragon. Yum!

In addition to the bowl of the day there is a great variety of sweets and snacks to choose from - cakes, pastries, cookies... They all looked delicious but we were to full to have any.

What might be a tiny fault is that the blenders are very loud, so if lots of people order blended drinks it gets quite noisy if you sit close by the bar. Still, overall the atmosphere is very homely and cozy and makes you want to spent all afternoon in there.

Tushita Teebar is definitely worth a visit and we will come back during our next visit to Munich!

Pros: Creative and delicious food and drinks, Cozy atmosphere, Good variety of small sweets and snacks

Cons: Potentially loud blenders if you sit close to the

Best cake so far - Edit

Do you experiance the mediocerity of vegan cakes at restaurants? Not here!

Tushita Teehaus serves, in rather big portions, the best vegan cake we've experianced so far. Also their pinapple lemonade and matcha latte were amazing.

Nice cozy place, bit small though, can get a bit crowded.

Pros: Best vegan cake, Wide arrange of tea, Atmosphere

Cons: Can get crowded, Bit pricy

Gemütlich, aber leider war um 18h das Essen aus - Edit

Ich kann das Essen nicht bewerten, da es leider aus war, als wir um 18h kamen (das Restaurant hat bis 20h auf). Wir hatten reserviert, allerdings war die Reservierung wohl untergegangen, was nicht schlimm war, weil es noch genügend freie Plätze gab. Die Bedienung war trotzdem sehr freundlich und generell ist es ja nicht schlecht, wenn die Essen so kalkuliert werden, dass nichts übrig bleibt, das weggeworfen werden muss. Wir kommen wieder!

Pros: Rein vegan

Cons: Essen war um 18h aus

so cute! - Edit

Really cute little place. There wasn't really any meal type foods when I visited, but they did have a great selection of cakes and pastries.

I had a really nice matcha latte and a matcha chocolate brownie that was really tasty and moist.

Great atmosphere, but busy - Edit

Great atmosphere in Japanese style. Excellent food -- try the vegan cakes! Expansive tea selection. The only caveat is that the place is so successful that it's suffering from overload.

Pros: Excellent food, especially cakes, Great tea selection, Atmosphere and friendly staff

Cons: Too busy, Slow at time of overload

Timeless - Edit

Tushita is one of the few places you usually discover while traveling and who invite to stay forever...

Ok, I was short on time and really hungry and more in a busy mode, but the last changed after entering the store.

The food was great and the atmosphere very welcoming.
They offer a variety of matcha and other teas, also cakes and brownies, all vegan.
Love it!

healthy and fun - Edit

1 main dish daily that changes very good. Found it a bit expensive for everyday but once in a while is ok. Their English was great but I find that at many vegan places. Recommend you try it.

Not that perfect in my opinion - Edit

I came here with high expectations due to all those fantastic reviews, but my experience was a little bit different. First, when I stood in front of the counter wanting to make my order, there were three members of staff behind the counter, but all of them totally ignored me and did not even smile or greet me for several minutes before they finally asked me what I wanted. And this behaviour of the staff continued, I found them quite unfriendly and I waited ages both for my meal and later for a slice of cake and a cup of tea.

The cafe is gorgeous, though, the interior is very charming and cozy. However, it's very small and full of tables and chairs, so when it's crowded, you can hardly move or put on your jumper or jacket.

The lunch options were very limited with just one real meal and a few smaller options. So I chose the daily special, a rice dish with many ingredients: celery cream, lentils, a salad with tahini dressing, carrots, olives, capsicorn and capers. It tasted very well and the different ingredients were well balanced, but it wasn't filling at all. I was still very hungry although I am not a big eater and most of the times can't finish my meals. I had a slice of banana and chocolate cake for dessert and it tasted well, too.

Unfortunately, I think it's quite overpriced. I must admit I don't know about the price levels in Munich, but my bill came to 21€ for the small lunch meal, the slice of cake (which was not huge, either) and two cups of tea - I have definitely eaten better and more in similar European cities.

Pros: Cozy, pretty cafe, Tasty meals, All vegan

Cons: Unfriendly behaviour of the staff, Overpriced, Small choice of meals

not feeling so welcome. - Edit

i just ordered a cup of tea and a meal and asked for the internet password so i could use my laptop while i wait for my meal to come. The waitress said "don't stay too long here with your laptop" ... (i have just arrived! and after i eat i have to get back for work so this was a little unnecessary) .

bottom line is i have not eaten yet but not planning to return based on the vibe.. so best of luck with this one - perhaps just eat here if you don't plan to stay too long :)

Very cozy tea house - Edit

I had a chai latte and a slice with black sesame paste and loved it all. They also do warm savoury dishes which looked yummy too. Staff was really super friendly and the cafe was very cozy. I'm not an expert, but it seemed like they knew their stuff about tea. Highly recommend a visit.

Pros: Cozy, great vegan slice/cake selection, friendly

Great breakfast - Edit

Most vegan restaurants don't seem to open until lunch so we were thankful to find Tushita Teehaus which was open for breakfast. The food menu is small but it's all vegan which is nice. We had the warm and cold porridge/museli and some of their tasty drinks. We also tried a few of the dessert pies. Everything tasted great.

Pros: Healthy filling breakfast

Hidden Gem - Edit

After getting lost trying to find a different restaurant, I ended up coming to Tushita Teehaus, and I'm glad I did! This pleasant little cafe offers a set dinner menu that is extremely varied and flavourful. The portion size is small but filling (and there is a larger size available). The way they serve tea is fabulous too. I ordered a white tea, the set dinner bowl (brown rice, vegetables, tofu, and lots of seasoning and flavourings all mixed together), a couple of their pies, and I was offered a free soy chai tea, which was so nice of them! The desserts were particularly fabulous, and the soy chai tasted just like the "real" thing! I was pleasantly surprised :)

Pros: quaint location and friendly staff, delicious set dinner menu, amazing desserts

Cons: closed early, so don't go too late

My fav café in Germany! - Edit

I go there every time when I'm in Munich, it's almost like a tradition by now :) Love the place, the atmosphere, the tea and the extraordinary tasty food including drinks and sweets! Gotta love this place. ;)

Amazing! - Edit

I was so excited to go here. I got the matcha soya latte, a pastry with veggies and seitan, schoko-avocado cake, and rota bete schoko cake. Everything was great. The matcha tea latte was on the tiny side and expensive, but the food was tasty. My schoko-avocado cake was so fresh tasting. The rote bete cake was pepper-y and I liked it. The cakes were not too sweet. Definitely will go back for dessert.

Pros: Cake, great service, fresh

Cons: small matcha latte

Embrace a Tea Ceremony - Edit

This small cafe offers a rich atmosphere, offering to this client an experience akin to visiting a Japanese shrine to tea (though they offer teas from far and wide and of every kind). Though I enjoyed the vegan dish of the day (they offer a single option each day, though the dish changes from day to day) and the variety of desserts, it was the "tea experience" I enjoyed the most. In the two hours I spent at Tushita, I had two pots of tea, a "first flush" Japanese sencha and an Oolong with cornflower (I think) overtones. Jerome, my server, provided an education in the preparation, tending to the three separate infusions of each pot while I enjoyed food and conversation with my partner. It was a lovely experience. Before I head home I will stop by one more time for a second tea ceremony, to purchase tea, and to choose just the right pot and cups from their wide selection to take home with me and remember my Tushita experience and further the education Jerome began.

Pros: Intimate atmosphere, Superb quality teas and food

Absolutely delightful - Edit

This small vegan oasis is a delight. We had a scrumptious bowl of a vegan medley of food and then three different vegan desserts. There was one dessert, a raspberry torte that was, according to my spouse, the best dessert he has ever had. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Jerome, an expert in tea, prepared the most interesting and wonderful tea services for us--explaining how to brew the tea and serve it. The Sencha green tea was the most delicious I have ever had. The atmosphere is calm and peaceful. An absolute must to visit.

Pros: Friendly staff, All vegan, Amazing tea

best vegan place in munich - Edit

it is my favorit place in munich for cooked food. always very yummi, fresh food, mostly gluten free. but a bit too much tofu and soy ingredients in dinner and cakes for my: less would be better. most of the time one gluten free cake. nice stuff.

my favourite place in Munich - Edit

I am at Tushita at least once a week. Friends say it became my second living room :-). It is cosy, beautiful and yammy. The food ranges between good and superb. Try the chocolate-avo-cake!!

really nice vegan desserts & good tea too - Edit

Tushita is first of all a tea house with incredible varieties of great teas, but they also have fantastic vegan desserts. I had a really good Apfelkuchen (apple cake) and also tried a delicious fruit bread that was kind of like a traditional Christmas cake.

We planned to eat dinner here but the daily special was already sold out and that was the only option besides sweets, so I'm not sure whether you can depend on it for a savoury meal, but the tea and desserts were great, the staff friendly

Pros: great vegan desserts, fantastic selection of tea, pleasant ambiance

Cons: full meals not always available

Great experience - Edit

It is still one of my favorite places in Germany. Many good teas, but I liked for the creativity. I was blown away when I ordered a dark cake and thought it was chocolate, but it was actually black sesame cake. That was magnificent. Of course, for those not used to the taste, might be a shock, but for me that love japanese style food. it was a very good finding.
And the staff was really friendly, while I tried to use my very limited german at that time.

Amazing - Edit

This small and cozy place is just amazing. The staff is really friendly and helpful and the atmosphere inside is cozy and silent so you will have the possibility to relax and enjoy your tea and meal.
There is one dish of the day and they also offer a yummy and healthy green smoothie! The price for both is ok, it's not too expensive.
The best of all is they do offer a huge range of different tea varieties from all over the world. And they have a clear card with great informations about the teas. You can also buy the teas there if you liked your tea.

Pros: Huge variety of teas

Cons: Could be a bit larger

Tea house with gorgeous vegan meal - Edit

This tea house is mostly focused on offering many types of tea, but it's a 100% vegan/eco restaurant in disguise. Only a single dish is served each day, though. The only choice you have is whether you'd like a small portion or large portion. The meal was healthy, varied and extremely tasty, however.

Besides tea, the choice of drinks is limited.

Pros: Excellent, all vegan food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Only one choice of meal, No coffee available

Tea in Style - Edit

A very warm, lovely and inviting tea house serving vegan comfort food and a large selection of delicious cakes (all vegan) and priced very reasonably. Give the chocolate & avocado cake a try if it's available for a wonderful surprise in taste combination. The interior is modern and looks as it has been fitted out very professionally. A massive range of teas from all over the world are available served with great presentation and attention to detail. They also serve savoury food which consists of rice, tofu and salad dishes in bowls which looks very inviting and tasty. It's in a fabulous part of the city very close to the river and just down the road from the beautiful Gartnerplatz.

Pros: friendly, range of teas

Cons: limited seating

wouldn't go back - Edit

Apparently, you MUST make a reservation here, even though there was only 1 table with any people at it. The staff said "I don't serve people without a reservation, but I guess I'll let you eat, since it's slow"--as if she's doing us a favor by letting us eat there. The food was decent, but I felt like it's not nearly as good as other places of the same price. I definitely won't go back.

Pros: All-vegan

pleasant place - Edit

This, as the name says, is more of a teehouse than a restaurant. Their food selection is very limited. For dinner, they have a bowl consisting of a few different items. Though the range of choices was small the food was very tasty and seemed pretty healthy. If you're ravenous you'll probably want to snack on something in addition. Friendly staff, and not a problem even with my broken German. The ambiance is lovely.

Only reason for the one star off is due to the limited food choices (but hey, it isn't called a restaurant...).

Pros: tasty, high quality

Cons: few food choices

Chocolate Avocado cake is definitely amazing - Edit

The title pretty much says it all! Didn't have a chance to try anything other than the chocolate avocado cake, but it was awesome and I'd eat it all day every day if I could. If you can possibly get your hands on a slice, don't think twice!!

Pros: Chocolate avocado cake awesome

Lovely place - Edit

Lovely place, great tea selection! Nice cakes, a little more on the healthy side but very nice! If you are wanting food the food is written on a sign outside or inside way up above the counter with the servers. There are the other drinks as well, there is only a printed menu for teas as the food changes daily! And drinks are varied as well! Very nice atmosphere....i do speak German so it was no problem for us. The staff were very friendly!

I wish I could eat here every day - Edit

Delicious food and amazing vegan kuchen! They also have Rishi tea, my favorite brand of tea that I didn't even know you could get in Europe. The staff spoke English well enough to explain the menu to us and were very friendly. I wish I could take whole place back to America with me so I could eat there every day.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, best tea in the world

Cons: small

dreamy little tea house - Edit

This is a lovely little tea house about a 10-15 minute walk from central station. While their emphasis is on tea for sure, there's also a very small menu of vegan items in addition to vegan pastries such as cakes, pies, and even seitan filled croissants. I get the impression the menu changes often if not daily and everything is also organic. I had the tangerine ginger tea which was excellent as well as a slice of the chocolate mousse torte. It was definitely tasty but did not blow me out of the water. Tushita is quite small with seating four about 12-14 people inside and maybe 8-10 outside. I wouldn't say it was terribly comfortable as the stools had no backrests and the benches shared a long one but it was quite far back. The staff was wonderful, very friendly, and spoke English well. It's worth a visit, for sure.

Pros: Cute and cozy, excellent tea, rotating menu (fresh)

Cons: a little cramped inside

Good Tea, Hard to Get Food for English Speakers - Edit

Although the reviews say they spoke English at Tushita, I found it a little difficult to communicate, and managed only to get tea and not food. This is probably my fault for not being fluent in German. We only got a tea menu without any food items on it even though we asked about food. From reading reviews I realize that the food items were listed on the wall, but I was unable to translate them well enough. The tea was very good, but I wish I could have tried their food. I was expecting a restaurant, but this is defintely more of a small tea house. A nice place for what it is, but not the first stop for a travel hungry vegan!

Pros: cute, good tea, cozy

Cons: limited food menu, Limited English speaking, limited seating

Lovely place - Edit

I had found this place on Happy Cow and made a special trip there as I love tea! There was indeed a great selection of tea, I had mandarine and ginger, which was very yummy. Also had a delicious seitan sandwich and lemon cake. The decor is very pleasant and staff are nice and do speak English. It was quite busy so can be a bit difficult to get a place in there. But I was not disappointed. There are only 2 choices of lunches but both are vegan and both that day looked good.

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, lovely tea

Cons: limited menu, small place

fantastic - Edit

Recently I was in Munich for Oktoberfest. I needed a break from the loud drunk crowds and to get in from the cold. This was the perfect place to warm up with a tea and a delicious sandwich. The staff were not only gorgeous but extremely helpful. They recommended food, tea and places to visit while in Munich.

Pros: friendly, great food, location

Cons: cramped seating

Sophisticated - Edit

I was wandering around and saw a word that I thought might be "vegan" on the board outside so I popped in and the helpful, English-speaking girls working there were very friendly and recommended the strawberry cake to me. It was delicious! I hope I get to visit again while I'm in Germany.

Pros: good food, gorgeous location, friendly service

Excellent vegan restaurant in Munich - Edit

I recently visited Tushita while in Munich for a short business trip. It is important to note that I brought along my colleague who is not easily sold on vegetarian/vegan cuisine. Beginning to end the experience was fantastic! Carrot, ginger and coconut soup with homemade bread and a terrific seitan sandwich was on the menu for the evening. The staff were kind and interesting to talk with. When we left they gave us vegan cookies for the trip home. My colleague asked me if all vegan restaurants were this fantastic! I enjoyed my visit to Tushita and look forward to returning.

Pros: Wide selection of teas, Fantastic food, Wonderful staff

Wonderful, relaxing tea house - Edit

The food and tea at Tushita was beautiful. The owner was helpful as my German is quite poor. She recommended a lovely rose tea. The cake (almond was the only word I understood and I didn't ask for a translation, just ate it!) was awesome but the sandwich (tofu vege on poppy seed spelt bread) was even better. Not a cheap cafe but not exorbitant either. Tea, cake and sandwich was about 10 euros.

Perfection!!! :-) - Edit

Tushita is beyond fabulous!!! It's the complete package everything you want and expect from your dining experience. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting. The staff is so hip, friendly and happy to translate the daily menu:-) The FOOD, WOW Perfection!!! The integrative flavors and spices blend together in such harmony. I'm sometimes very indecisive in ordering when too many chooses are presented but they keep it nice and easy with their awesome daily specials. The person who wrote the review at the bottom is on CRACK because the desserts are THE BEST!! Bottom line: This is a place you WISH could be your local hotspot.

Pros: Seitan Sandwiches, Cup Cakes, Chai Tea

Best Vegan Food in Munich! - Edit

Wow this place is FANTASTIC! On the chalk board when you walk in there will be the daily specials, today happened to be a hot veggie bowl with mash potatoes and tofu & a seitan spelt sandwich. Both were beyond amazing! There are also some baked items and soup. Its more of a lunch place, just go for the sandwich if they are offering one and you won't be disappointed! There is an amazing dessert case so leave room for a cup cake! Don't forget to try some tea, too! Just have a seat and they will bring you a menu and you can place your order. Just ask for help in translating anything or the daily specials in English, but you can just look at what everyone else is eating and instantly figure it out, too!

Pros: Daily Specials, Tea, Desserts

All vegan! Everything delicious! All fresh foods made to order. Limited food menu but each item is completely outstanding. Vegan desserts also! Very conscious staff and relaxed clean atmosphere. Extensive tea menu and tea supplies... Great prices and wonderful evening. support this vegan gem!

Pros: delicious, vegan, healthy

Cons: closed on sundays!

like home! - Edit

i went there two days in a row and i love this place.nice atmosphere and pretty quiet.they have 3 dishes on their everyday changing menu.i had a sandwich each day and a thai curry!food was good...very good actually.they also have amazing teas and lots of other tasty drinks.what else to say??you need to go there.and you wont be disappointed.

Pros: friendly staff, teas, bathroom

Great lunch - Edit

This is a place I can highly recommend. The small but daily changing menu offers delicious soups and main dishes, which are completely organic and vegan. You can choose between a great variety of organic teas from China, Japan and elsewhere and treat yourself with a yummy vegan pastry.

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tushita Teehaus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 14948 times since Jan 2009.