Turun Kirjakahvila

Contact 02-4691396

Vanha Suurtori 3, Turku, Finland,

Small vegan food cafe in the historical centre of Turku. Located in the inner yard so that it is a bit difficult to find. Live music and discussion events with topics ranging from literature, theatre, contemporary arts to politics and society. Has wireless internet access. Food is made on cafe premises. Soymilk available for coffee. Offers environmentally friendly beverages (beer, cider and lemonade). All food served is vegan. Student discount on coffee and tea. Second cup is free. Food often includes tofu pies, mushroom pies, different berry filled pies, sandwiches with seitan, cake, cookies, and muffins. Offer a vegan brunch Sundays 11am-2pm. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Finnish

First Review by birgit.m

One of my favourite places! - Edit

I really like this place and visit it all the time because it is close to the campus. It's a nice place to just have tea (student price is quite cheap and refill is free) and have a look at the books and other merch. There also is a small cupboard with cds, books and clothes that are free to take.
The snacks are also nice, I really like the focaccia and there are usually some sandwiches and cakes/cookies as well. Water is free (as is common in Finland). I only tried the warm lunch once and thought that it was kind of expensive compared to the other food but it was a really nice vegan burger with potatoes, very filling!
On their website you can find the events that are sometimes in the evening or on weekends. Best tip: there is a vegan brunch on one sunday per month. Great food and you decide how much you can pay! (suggested is between 8 and 12 euros)

Pros: only vegan food, super friendly staff, gender neutral toilets

Cons: During the sunday brunch it can be really full.

Love at first sight - Edit

This place is just amazing. The relaxing atmosphere, kindness, the lovely sellers and the super tasty products just make you smile for the rest of the (week) day.

Kirjakahvila is absolutely the best vegan place in Turku, in all ways. I've never experienced as wonderful service as here. Thank you, Kirjakahvila's staff, you're great.

Pros: lovely service, tasty all-vegan goods, low prices

Awesome Cafe! - Edit

It is a very cosy cafe with an awesome and a little bit unusual environment. We visited it in the evening so they did not have the savory pies but the sweet ones were amazingly delicious. The chocolate-mint pie was my favorite. They have a variety of teas which we got with the student discount and also the second cup is free! The staff was really friendly and helpful. They also have a lot of cookbooks, postcards, books and music and some other vegan stuff. All in all it was great experience and i will definately pop in there when i'm around next time.

Pros: Delicious Pies, Friendly Staff, Nice Environment

Small vegan café with great atmosphere - Edit

This café, which is also a book café, has a good selection of vegan café food like sandwiches and cakes. The weather was great on our visit so we sat outside and enjoyed the great location in an inner court in the old part of town.
The selection of savory, warm food is smaller and on our visit there was only one savory pie on offer.

We had two different sandwiches (they were fine), the savory chick pea pie (great!) and two different sweet pies (very tasty) and were very happy with our lunch there.

All in all, it's a great café and as long as you're not looking for a full restaurant I recommend it to all vegans.

Pros: Great value for money, Great atmosphere, Very friendly staff

Cons: Not many savory options

The best cafe in Finland - Edit

Their vegan bakery is so delicious (both sandwiches and cakse) and the atmosphere is bohemian/hippie. For book lovers and other culture people this is the must-go cafeteria.

Pros: Cupcakes! , Coffee and tea (the 2nd cup is for free), Location

Cons: Not open during the weekend

Lovely vegan co-operative with atmosphere - Edit

Turun Kirjakahvila is hidden away in an inner yard but it was well signed and I had no trouble finding it. Luckily for me! It reminded me of a vegan co-operative in Brighton, England, as it was full of students, feminist rally photos, political books, vegan cookbooks for sale and artsy people deep in conversation, sharing books or flicking through images on their cameras.

I visited here twice, on the first day it was about 3pm and they'd stopped serving hot food. Everything in the place is vegan except for they do serve cows milk as well as soya milk for drinks. They had some bitesize vegan cheese and bacon pastries which they warmed up for us and seitan and salad in delicious granary rolls. Their cake selection is also fantastic and we enjoyed a peach filled cake and the best ever - vegan jaffa cakes!!! They're AMAZING and just like the ones I remember :D

When we returned the next day, expecting some hot food on offer, the selection was very limited as they only had beetroot soup, which we got with another seitan sandwich and unlimited tea and coffee for 7.50 euros. Their tea was a little on the weak side which is my only complaint. The soup was hearty and delicious.

The staff are volunteer students and some seemed to be learning the ropes, but all were very friendly and welcoming. The clientele pretty much all seemed to be students and they seemed as if they spent all day sitting chatting here, but they didn't seem to mind us popping by!

Another great thing about this cafe for me is that it was selling Go Max Go chocolate bars which I have never found in the UK.

I would really recommend this cafe if you like to support local, co-operative vegan business and want to enjoy some snacky food and cake in quirky surroundings.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 31, 2012

Pros: quirky atmosphere, good value and best ever jaffa cakes!, volunteer run co-operative

Cons: limited hot food selection

Vegan Tourists in Turku - Edit

Cool place, cool people. The sandwiches were ok as well desserts. To mention the suprising carrots cake and disappointing chocolate (probably I was expecting too much).
Free still water and nice beverages.
I was a little bit confused when asking for a hot chocolate they offered cow milk.. Not really an option for a Vegan place.
In general we were really happy to find this place in Turku.

Pros: Vegan food, Low price, Ambient

Cons: Only few option, Cow milk

Qtea 20 Mar 2013 - They have stopped serving cow milk!

Lovely environment - Edit

I have the best experience in this cafe, I ate everything on the menu. the week that I went Turku, everyday the place have something a little bit different, and the best chocolate cake that you can get in Finland....

good for snacks and coffee - Edit

We ended up here after finding that both locations of KavsisKeidas were closed (one for the summer, the other for the week), so we were very grateful to find a place that served vegan food. As it's name implies, it's a book and coffee cafe, but it has a small serve yourself food area. We got the cashew foccacia (which they heated up for us), a hummus sandwich, a tempeh sandwich, a strawberry cake and a chai cupcake. As we were ravenous, it tasted good to us, so as long as you aren't looking for a whole restaurant, it's a good place to grab some snacks, drink coffee and check out some books. There were some tables outside for the summer as well, but we sat inside to get out of the sun as it was a rather hot day. Good central location too.

Pros: good location, vegan food at a book/cafe

Cons: a little hard to find

not a wide choice - Edit

I have found a very little choice of food: only sandwiches with seitan or houmus and pizza with mushrooms. being intolerant to wheat I have found anything to eat. maybe it can be a nice place for a quite coffe reading a book but not if you are travelling and you arrived starved looking for a vegan lunch !

Cons: little choice, anything gluten free

Contributions +40

www.kirjakahvila.org - Edit

Excellent location near the campuses and libraries, delicious and inexpensive food, vegan.

Pros: Location, Delicious food, Vegan

My favourite cafe! - Edit

Bookcafe (Kirjakahvila) is the number one cafe in Turku for someone who likes culture, books, good conversations, delicious vegan bakery and good atmosphere. It is a non-profit co-operative place and the staff are volunteer workers.It is located in the most beautiful place in Turku, right in a medieval inner yard. By day time it's open for everyone and a variety of cultural events and theme days take place there. In the evenings after 7 o'clock different organisations and groups can organise their own events there. Handicraft, comics and books are sold in Kirjakahvila and the kitchen is truly one of a kind. A variety of freshly baked delicious pies, cakes, muffins etc. are sold there every day. The price is right and it's all suitable for vegans! The only down side of this place is that it's not open on weekends. It is my favorite place!

Pros: atmosphere, bakery, staff

Cons: not open on weekends, difficult to find

great! - Edit

lovely little cupcakes with mint flavour the day i was there! small salty pies and sandwiches was also on the menue, larger cakes as well. small cafe with places outside in nice old town environment. yes, it was a little hard to find even though it's really in the centre. nice books and fanzine collection, and friendly poeple working, that gave service in english.

Pros: delicious cakes, good atmosphere, woman friendly

Cons: could offer bigger sortiment, not organic, bit difficult to find

Return to Turku Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Turun Kirjakahvila closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.