Tung Fong Siu Kee Yuen

Contact 2507-4839

241 Hennessy Rd, Wanchai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Originally established 1905, and at this space since 1956. Seats 60 upstairs, take away dim sum and bakery downstairs. Has English menu. Could ask leave out MSG. Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by JohnnySensible

Tung Fong Sui Kee Yuen - Hennessey, Hong Kong - Edit

Just a minor update to this. I ate here again last night as part of the meetup group mentioned below. At the end of the evening one of the girls in the group bought a take away that she could take to work for lunch today. Clearly she also endorsed the vegetables in Portuguese sauce since that's the dish she ordered.

As per another comment made last night, the decor in this place upstairs is nice. Quietly tasteful in an understated sort of way.

They did a good job catering for the group. 16 of us over 2 tables, food was great and service efficient. All that food to share at 120 hkd each person was good value, I'm happy with that.

Updated from previous review on Monday June 08, 2015

I've eaten here a few times now. I've eaten here on my own, with one other and also as part of the Meat Free Hong Kong group in meetup.com. Every time it has been perfectly pleasant. If you're eating in try the vegetables in Portuguese sauce.

The take away downstairs is as good as any I've tried around Hong Kong.

I'd be happy to eat here again (sit in or take away) any time I'm nearby.

Updated from previous review on Friday August 15, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Big portions, Good take away counter

True Chinese - Edit

We had lunch here at an off hour (around 3 o'clock), so the dining room was empty and forlorn. The wait staff was also on break (one fellow bedded down in the dining room), so service was poor. The dining room has a certain old world, Chinese charm, but more dowdy than lovely. The food was fine, and seemed authentic. Our impression might have been entirely different had we visited during a mealtime.

Pros: Old world dining room, Authentic Chinese cuisine, Large selection

Cons: Dowdy, Slow service, Not as clean as some establishments

Usual fare - Edit

Nothing really exciting about this place. Yes, portions are huge and they can serve you your food pretty fast. The two of us ordered three dishes and it must have taken only 5-10 minutes from ordering to having all of them on the table. Food was OK but bit on the salty side. Could also use less oil. That said I felt the prices were very reasonable especially if you come as a bigger group.

Pros: huge portions, prompt service

Cons: greasy, salty

Missing something - Edit

I must be missing something here or I just got a bad night. The food was tasteless and the ingredients were not fresh. Service was fine and the waiter made an effort to select something to my taste. Unfortunately, it had none. I didn't try the take out counter snacks, but they looked good.

Cons: Unexciting food

Only go to the 241 Hennessy Rd address - Edit

Love this place. It's very clean, fresh and tasty ingredients and good service. The menu is extensive and the prices very reasonable. You really can't go wrong with this place. The Restaurant is up one flight, and you can also get very cheap take away downstairs. they have an English menu.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Fresh

Cons: Staff don't speak English

Authentic food and excellent bakery downstairs - Edit

Amazing congee. Took my parents here, and they loved it. Very good e-fu noodles. The staff were nice and friendly. JohnnySensible is right, the portions are huge. The bakery downstairs has one of the few truly vegan and E number free moon cakes in town. Really easy to find.

Pros: Yummy food., Friendly service, Clean place

Venerable - Edit

Well worth a visit. For myself it is wonderful to experience a veggie business that has survived & thrived for 4 generations. I always receive smiles / very friendly service. For the single diner be careful when you order - portions tend to be large. The best selection of vegan dim-sum in Hong Kong. Nearest MTR is Wan Chai. Remember to ask the staff not to use MSG if you are affected by it.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tung Fong Siu Kee Yuen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2607 times since Aug 2007.