Tucson Tamale Company - Central

Contact 520-305-4760

2545 E Broadway, Tucson, Arizona, USA, 85716

Serves meat, vegan options available. Shops in Tucson selling a variety of tamales, including several vegetarian and a few vegan tamale flavors. The salsas are vegan suitable. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Southwestern American, Non-veg

First Review by deannafitzgerald

Oh Vegan Tamales! - Edit

With 5 different vegan tamales to choose from this place is a dream. I just stocked my freezer with frozen, vegan tamales. I love them all, but the vegan Indian curry tamale steals the show!!! I took home salsa which was amazing.

Pros: Many vegan tamale options, Fast, friendly service, DELICIOUS!!!

Great Vegan Tamales! - Edit

This place is nice. A little nicer than fast food but not quite table service. Vegan tamales are a rare thing, so I grab them when I can. And these were great. I highly recommend the Vegetable Curry tamale. I tried the Blue Corn tamale also -- it was just fine -- but the Curry tamale was pretty awesome. I wouldn't have expected the Indian flavors to mesh well in a tamale with salsa but it did. Customer service was friendly and helpful. Time from order to food was a tad long but not bad by any means.

Food okay, atmosphere much to be desired - Edit

The food comes out quickly and the price-point is quite good. Improvements could be made by having the salsa bar further away from the register as it just jams up the front of the store and more ready to eat tamales that are vegan. For some reason it is restricted to two and they aren't the best ones to choose from.

The temperature outside today is under 85 degrees. The restaurant has the air conditioning and fans blasting. The music is awful and exceedingly loud. I would have loved to enjoy my Berkeley vegan tamale but the atmosphere both inside and outside left way too much to be desired. Not sure when we're coming back.

Pros: Fast service

Cons: Small selection of vegan ready to eat, Too loud, too much A/C, Salsa bar away too close to register

I tried my first vegan tamale here - Edit

They have 7 different vegan tamales on their menu however three are only available frozen to take home. I tried the vegan blue and it was surprisingly very good considering the weird color. It's literally blue. You get to choose the sides and I would not recommend trying the black beans. They have a sweet, cinnamon type of flavor to them and I did not like them at all. I also tried their rice which was okay. It sort of taste like instant rice. Their guac and salsa on the other hand were amazing.

I will definitely be hitting this place up gain next time I'm in tucson.

Pros: Variety, Inexpensive

Cons: Sides come in small portions

Tucson Tamale 30 Jul 2015 - Thanks for the review! We are glad that you enjoyed the Vegan Blue tamale. It is a classic!

worth a special trip - Edit

Very delicious tamales, with a good selection of vegetarian options. Especially liked the salad. We can't get veg tamales here in the Midwest so this was a special treat!

Pros: great food, good selection, fast service

Cons: none!

Tucson Tamale 30 Jul 2015 - Thanks so much for the review! We are glad that you liked all of the different vegetarian options that we offer. Come visit us soon!

Additional New Location in Northwest Tucson! - Edit

7286 N. Oracle Road (north of Ina Road). Spacious restaurant, same great vegan tamales.

Tucson Tamale 30 Jul 2015 - Thanks for the review! We are glad that you enjoy our tamales as much as we do.

Great Tamales - Edit

It's hard to find a good restaurant with vegan options listed and this one does. Fast service, friendly and the tamales were awesome!!

Pros: vegan options marked, fast, flavorful

Cons: limited seating

Vegan tamales to die for! - Edit

I actually had one of their vegan blue corn tamales at Adobe Rose B&B. It was my first tamale, and the B&B chose it because I have an allergy to cilantro and the vegan tamale is cilantro-free. Well, I could have easily eaten a dozen of them! MMMMM!!! I can't wait until I'm in Tucson again because I will seriously go home with a dozen of their vegan tamales. My boyfriend also had one and he said it's the best he's had.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, High Quality

Cons: Only in Tucson

Great food, great prices - Edit

Tucson Tamale Company is one of our favorite restaurants in Tucson. All tamales are lard-free and gluten-free. They also sell packs of frozen tamales to take home, including dessert tamales. Their menu rotates, but you can check what tamales will be available on their website. Tucson Tamale Company is a local business and is extremely vegetarian-friendly. Most menu items are either vegetarian or vegan & are clearly marked as such. They are also very affordable with prices starting at only $2.95 for 1 tamale with salsa! I wish they were open later than 7PM, though. It is not always easy for us to make it there before they close. If they were open until 9PM or 10PM like most other restaurants we would be able to go there more often.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Friendly staff

Cons: Short hours, Small seating space

Great Options for Vegans! - Edit

This place is great! It's a great place to go if you have a family full of omnis, vegetarians and vegans like mine! I have tried almost all of their vegan options and every single one is delicious! I believe all their sides are vegan too! Their prices are really great! What are you doing? Go! Go now! haha

Pros: great options, big a$$ tamales, yummy!

Cons: open only 10-7

Great food at a great price - Edit

This is one of my favorite places in Tucson. It's not vegetarian, but is unusually Veg-friendly and specifically makes Vegan Tamales. I've become addicted to the Curry Tamale and the medium green salsa. And the prices are cheap enough that I don't feel bad about going there often. You can also get tamales to go in easy to microwave bags. Their hours are not wide open, so check their website before you go.

Pros: Great Value, Amazing food, Friendly staff

Cons: Not Vegetarian, Short hours of operation

Return to Tucson Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tucson Tamale Company - Central closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.