First Review by Shannin987

worth the drive! - Edit

Since I arrived when the opened, I had my choice of table. I quickly ordered a chai to get me started. It smelled delicious even if it was a bit weaker than I would normally make. It was still good.

After chatting with the server, I decided on the house red bean and oat veggie burger. I was also tempted by the vegan florentine. The “burger” is a grilled sandwich with maple-bourbon BBQ aioli, caramelized onion, some greens, and pickled veggie slaw. I really liked the slaw addition. The bread was grilled to a perfect golden brown and had a very satisfying crunch.

For dessert I had the chocolate cake with chocolate frosting drizzled in an orange sauce. It was moist and scrumptious. I really could have used a second bite.

They have a great space which includes a patio, full bar, and a stage for live music. I am going to try to make the effort to go back. It was worth the drive.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, easy street parking

A gem in Iowa City! - Edit

Trumpet Blossom Cafe is wonderful oasis in a state that doesn't especially cater to vegans. I was on a work trip more than an hour away and made the trip because I desperately wanted some food that I didn't have to tweak to make vegan. Their food is very flavorful and they use very fresh ingredients. The service is also excellent!!

To start I ordered the nachos; their cheeze sauce has a nice kick, and the portion isn't too big but can definitely be shared. As an entree I had the Lemon Roasted Garlic Tofu -- the tofu was very flavorful, and the sage mashed potatoes were deeeeeelish. To finish my meal I had the apple crumble with vanilla ice cream, which was wonderful -- the ice cream was creamy and refreshing, not icy (like some non-dairy ice cream can be). I will definitely come back next time I'm in the area!

great food and selection - Edit

This restaurant has a wonderful variety that isn't found very many places. Being a vegan and having your only choice for food out being a salad gets old fast. At trumpet blossom I don't have to comb the menu to ensure I am getting something vegan.

Pros: atmosphere , menu, variety

Cons: parking

Delightful! - Edit

I'll echo the other reviews only to reinforce how great this place is:

- Lovely atmosphere
- Friendly, knowledgable staff
- Interesting and delicious food
- Great location
- Fun bar + music venue at night

I agree with other reviews that some of the prices seem high, but they aren't unwarranted -- the commitment to local organic produce is worth the price.

I also like that many menu items change frequently (or at least seasonally -- I visit about one a month). I appreciate their commitment to making unique vegan dishes and not solely relying on meat-style dishes made vegan.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Friend staff, Good variety

Great experiences - Edit

This restaurant was a huge life saver for a foreign vegan in a small city with limited options. All the food was great both times I ate there, and the restaurant also turns into a nice pub and venue for music late at night with good drink prices.

Pros: Great food, Good menu, 100% vegan in small city

So good even meat-eaters will love it! - Edit

The food is absolutely delicious! I've loved everything I've tried! I brought my whole family here a while ago, and we've been back four times because they loved it so much—even though a couple of them are big meat-eaters (and junk-food lovers)!

Pros: delicious, nutritious

Great All-vegan restaurant - Edit

This is a great place for a vegan - or a meat-eater for that matter. I've been there a bunch of times, sometimes with other vegs and sometimes with meat-eaters. Everyone agrees the food is top-notch. I am accustomed to perusing a restaurant's menu to see if there's anything remotely vegan on it, and frequently getting a salad or the deep-fried mushrooms or some icky, unhealthy thing. So it's always a treat to go to Trumpet Blossom where I can order anything on the menu and not worry about it. It's ALL vegan! And delicious besides! Even confirmed meat-eaters love the food (some of them are reluctant to admit it, but if pressed, they will tell you it was very tasty.) So if you want a whole menu of delicious, healthy, and guilt-free food, you really can't do better than this.

Pros: All-Vegan Menu!, Delicious, Great atmosphere (when it's not crowded)

Cons: A little expensive, Noisy when crowded - not often

I love this place! - Edit

I was so disappointed when The Red Avocado had to close, but I'm excited this cafe is now open. The food and drinks are amazing, and the atmosphere is fun. Parking is limited, but I don't mind parking on the street and walking. It's a little more expensive than your average restaurant, but the food is organic and they use as much local produce as possible. The outside area is nice, too. This is where we'll be eating anytime we're in Iowa City.

The New Red Avocado - Edit

I've been to this place three times now. I was very impressed with the transformation from the Hawkeye Hideaway! The place looks great and the bar is well stocked with local beer and fun cocktails.

The food is good, but it always seems a little expensive for lunch. I have to tell myself that you gotta pay for local, organic, vegan, creative things! I'm a fan of the tempeh reuben ($8) and I enjoy their hummus and veggies (not too bad at $4). Every dessert I've ever tried was delicious and I tried something every time. Desserts switch up frequently!

They don't have many parking spaces. I think there are only 4 in front of the door. The rest is street parking. Not a problem if you ride your bike though. The outside patio looks very nice, although I haven't actually sat out there yet. I was very sorry to see the Red Avocado go, but the owners have done a nice job in their new location. Highly recommend!

Pros: All Vegan Fair, Local and Organic, Helpful Staff

Cons: Parking

Return to Iowa City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Trumpet Blossom Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6004 times since Apr 2012.