CLOSED: Truly A Vegan

323-464-1790

5907 Hollywood Blvd (at Bronson), Hollywood, California, USA, 90028

Very small and casual Hollywood vegetarian restaurant. Extensive menu includes breakfast items, sandwiches and wraps, veggieburgers, veggie sushi, Thai noodle and rice dishes, smoothies, and vegan ice cream. Parking on street. Parking in rear. Formerly Truly Vegan, same owner. Reported closed to HappyCow Jan 2014.

Category: Vegan, American, Thai, Fast food, Delivery, Catering

First Review by samneko

Mostly Fast Food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Truly Vegan review.

My lunch experience here had fell short of expectations. The quality of food seemed average and not particularly healthy to me. My partner ordered a breakfast special which consisted of blueberry pancakes, tofu scramble, and a soysausage pattie - pancake was yummy but scramble and soysausage were both very salty. I ordered the green curry... and it was much too spicy, too salty, and kinda painful to eat. Guess I'll order something else next time.

In any case, I am still happy that Truly provides vegetarians a choice, and that's a plus.

Pros: all vegetarian, friendly service

Cons: conventional ingredients, mostly fast food

Grand! - Edit

Delicious eats.

Pros: Great value

Cons: Parking

Great food! - Edit

I went here for lunch with my meat-eating boyfriend and I can say we both truly enjoyed the meal.

The menu is very extensive and it took me a while to choose what I wanted to order.

I ordered the Birdie Burger (withut veganiase) which was similar to a chicken sandwich. It was very juicy and delicious. The only bad thing was that the sandwich came with no sides and I ordered fries as a side and it was a rather small portion for an additional 2 dollars.

My boyfriend ordered the chicken nuggets and he was pleasantly surprised because they tasted similar to McDonald's chicken nuggets (which are something he loves) rather than fake meat.

Overall, very yummy food!

Pros: big menu, delicious food

Cons: prices don't always fit the dish, parking is hard to find

Not Truly Vegan - Edit

The restaurant should change its name to "Truly Vegetarian" because it is not all vegan. I was staying at the hostel across the street, so the location was very convenient. I ordered the "Sincerely Seitan" meal and an apple/pineapple smoothie. The food was good, but I did not appreciate listening to TV while I ate. The owners were watching a Thai version of "American Idol" and it was distracting. You have to walk through the kitchen to access the bathroom.

Pros: tasty, good location

Cons: not truly vegan, TV noise

typical thai vegan, but a good place for hollywood - Edit

I eat here before seeing concerts in Hollywood pretty often. Despite being a small place they have a decent menu and excel at scramble tofu. I can usually get a parking meter outside, but parking is not w/o trouble.

Cons: parking

Really? Truly? - Edit

My husband and I went to Truly based on its good reviews here and the mention of an extensive menu.

Our experience: The staff seemed disinterested and disorganized. After we'd been there a bit, someone came by our table to ask if we'd like drinks. Then, after waiting for quite a while (no drinks had come and no one had stopped by to take our food order), a second person came to our table and asked if we'd like to order drinks. We told him we'd already ordered them. A woman -- the only other person in the restaurant sitting at a table -- nodded her head in confirmation when he looked her way. (Possibly the owner? The manager? All I know is she sat at a table staring above our heads at a TV monitor the whole time we were there. Our smiles in her direction were not acknowledged.) I think it bears repeating that we were the only customers in the restaurant during this time.

The menu/food: While the menu did provide many selections, the food we ultimately chose ranks as some of the worst we've had in a restaurant. My husband had a mediocre pepper steak sandwich (made with a gross, slightly sweet meat analog), but it was my order, a BLT, that was the worst. To start, both sandwiches were served open-face on a plate -- we assume because it made it look like there was more food? (It was a pretty paltry amount of food; you can see an example in one of the pictures on HappyCow.) The real winner, though, was the fact that my BLT was made with BACO BITS. Yep, there was a mound of Baco Bits on one side and greens and tomato on the other. When I attempted to close and then eat the sandwich, Baco Bits just went spilling all over the plate and my lap.

When I was a teenager and poor, I made Baco Bit BLTs. I can honestly say I never expected to get one in a veg restaurant. All my husband and I could say to each other was, "Really? Truly?" ... such a disappointment.

We were not visited again by wait staff once the food was served. We ultimately just had to go up to the register to inquire about paying.

I Truly don't understand how this place has gotten as many good ratings as it has. If you do go, I guess just don't order the pepper steak sandwich or BLT or expect good service? Buyer beware.

Pros: Large Menu, Comparatively Cheap

Cons: Terrible Food, Mediocre Service, No Parking

Not as good as other places in the area - Edit

We tried a few vegan restaurants as we passed through LA, they were all great, except this one. Do not order the peppered steak. I was disgusted before I could finish half of it, My wife ordered the chicken, it wasn't too bad. If this place was by itself in a smaller town, I'd try it more often, but it's surrounded by many other better options so we only went here once (and it was right by our motel).

Pros: Fast delivery

Cons: First meal I couldn't finish in a while

TERRIBLE - Edit

Awful food, uninterested staff, not sure if true but have heard many rumours that they dont tell you the meats have whey in them.

Didnt enjoy the food even though the selection looked impressive. Waitress was unhelpful and uninterested and pulled an face when we didnt feel the need to leave a tip. A tip for what exactly???

Dont waste your money.

Pros: nothing

Cons: staff, food

2 Responses

TwoHappyVegans 22 Feb 2013 - First, learn proper grammar. Second, my friend sent food samples to a lab to get tested for dairy and egg. The results showed that there were no traces of egg or dairy at all. How's that to squash the "rumours" you've heard? Your low rating is completely inappropriate if based off of rumours. But you know what? I'm happy that I'll never see your face in Truly Vegan. So thanks! I'll tip them double next time I'm there.

veganmanc 22 Feb 2013 - The low rating was based on my experience there - poor quality food and poor service. It would be nice to think I went on an 'off' day as it was not a good promotion of vegan food. Good to hear that the rumours (which I only heard after my visit) were incorrect.

The Truly got the memo on how to cook vegan food! - Edit

Some of the best breakfast food I've ever had! I had the #17, which is a soy chicken & pancake combo (like chicken & waffles), but I got blueberry pancakes instead of regular pancakes. Then I added a B1(hashbrowns, soy bacon, & tofu scramble). OH.MY.GOODNESS!! Seasoned to perfection & beyond! This place has mastered the art of tasty vegan food. My only regret is that I waited until our last day in L.A. to try them.

Pros: large portions, VERY tasty, affordable

Cons: Parking

a lovely place - Edit

one of the coziest neighborhood cafes i've visited to date.
their soups and sandwiches are excellent. their simple menus will rarely leave you disappointed with your choice.

Pros: good value

Cons: parking

A mixed bag: some hits & some room for improvement - Edit

Truly's location just off the Hollywood Freeway (170) makes it a convenient stop for a vegan meal if you happen to be the neighborhood, though we didn't find anything to merit making a special trip from other parts of town.

We quite enjoyed the "chicken burger" combo special but found the Pad Thai mediocre. The Thai tea was delicious (though a bit sweet).

The staff are very nice, but service can be erratic, especially if they get distracted by the TV.

Prices are quite reasonable compared to similar restaurants in the LA area (meals for $7-12).

It seems the place could benefit from the use of more eco-friendly (and vegan!) cleaning products and generally could be a bit tidier, but if you're looking for reasonably good value in a friendly hole-in-the-wall joint in the area, Truly fits the bill.

Parking in the area can be a challenge, so note that they have some parking spaces at a nearby gas station.

Good vegan - Edit

Upon my first glance at their menu, I pegged Truly as yet another clone of the vegan Thai joints that LA is peppered with. However, they actually have the most original menu out of all of them, and although Thai seems to be their "base" cuisine they really bust the mold. They even have sushi, although I haven't yet tried it. Next time. So far, everything I've had here was good.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Fast service

YUM!!! - Edit

When we first walked in, I wasn't sure what to expect. The food was great. I highly recommend checking it out!

Loely Food - Edit

The foods are great and pure! You don't need to be vegan to eat at Truly.
Highly recommended.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff

One of our LA favourites - Edit

The food here may not be the healthiest, but it's really good. I love their Birdie Burger, with a side of coleslaw. But other reviewers are right - don't go for the coffee!

Pros: friendly staff, tasty food, central location

Cons: decor

Couldn't believe when we got our food!!! - Edit

This place truly rules!! Decent servings of healthy thai vegan food for so cheap with very friendly people who manage this place. And the food is so awesome!!! I took 20 of my animal eating friends and they were quite impressed.. I am a vegetarian myself and pride myself to have mapped out most vegan joints in LA, and this one definately sits on the top of that list.

Pros: cheap, great food, mom and pop owned

Cons: small place

One of my FAVE spots! - Edit

Yeah, this is kind of a whole in the wall place but don't let that fool you! My husband & I eat here a few times a month despite the 20-30+ minutes getting there in LA traffic.

The food is wonderful, I've never ordered something I didn't like. I'm floored by the option of having breakfast anytime of the day...when was the last time I was able to do that at a restaurant?? The pancakes are awesome- I wish they would let me in on their sercret. ;) I usually order breakfast or a sandwich or a noodle/rice dish. Hubby likes the lentil loaf as it's very filling and comes w/a hearty helping of fresh veggies & seasoned potatos. Definately try the soymilk shakes- YUM!!

The staff is always very kind and friendly. We notice a lot of people come here for take-out. If we lived closed I'd be going broke ordering take-out from them several times a week. The prices are reasonable and the ingredients are fresh and healthy.

Pros: Price, Healthy & Fresh, Breakfast Served All Day!

Best Scrambled Tofu!!! - Edit

My favorite place to go for breakfast in all of LA, they have the best scrambled tofu and blueberry pancake dish! Also, for lunch the soy fried chicken sandwhich is very tasty and satisfying. I haven't had anything bad there, but be warned, their "cheesecake" is not cheesecake... it's like a poundcake, which is good, but not what you're expecting when you order the latter. The owners don't seem to be completely fluent in English, but are nevertheless very friendly and eager to please, and the service is fast. I am always so full when I leave too, the portions are quite large for the small price.

Pros: yummy

Cons: cheesecake :)

Return to Hollywood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Truly A Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.